Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Idaho stop becomes Washington law

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 09:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Effective October 1. The Bellinghamster Herald wrote a trip part series explaining the new law change.
​​​​​​
https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...245635760.html
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-23-20, 03:32 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Nice, thanks for posting this.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 09-24-20, 12:32 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Good news. Now I won’t waste my time chasing down riders and telling them how they give the rest of us a bad name, even though a quick sprint never hurt anyone. Now who is going to tell the irate motorists? I’m sure not going to chase them.

Old 09-25-20, 12:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
For what it's worth, the new law lets us treat stop signs as yields, but it doesn't let us treat red lights as stop signs, like Idaho's law does. I've only ever heard of these laws being enforced against cyclists on Mercer Island, and many cyclists already operate under the Idaho version of the law as a matter of course, so this won't change a lot. But it codifies into law what has become standard practice with regard to stop signs.
Old 09-25-20, 10:13 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've only ever heard of these laws being enforced against cyclists on Mercer Island
Specifically, at the bottom of the hill below the MI Community Center, LOL!

But, also I have seen cyclists stopped on the Burke-Gilman at the stop signs in Lake Forest Park.
Likes For woodway:
Old 09-27-20, 10:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
If I ever get stopped after running a red light, I will just say I actually stopped, turned right, pulled a u-turn and another right, but was so fast, maybe someone thought I rolled straight through it. If, in the odd chance the case went to court, I will hold the floor for a good ten minutes discussing space travel via vintage steel and the music of Leon Russell.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-04-20, 11:35 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway

But, also I have seen cyclists stopped on the Burke-Gilman at the stop signs in Lake Forest Park.
We had a evening group ride (slow social pace) going from Perkins lane past the Lake Forest Park fire station and left on to the Burke Gilman trail. As I approached the mall stop sign by the station I saw the light across Bothell Way would be green so we rolled the stop sign to make the light as there was no one else even near the stop signs. There was a young eager LFP officer who decided to race across the parking lot, use his lights through the intersection and race down to the next intersection of the BG trail stop so he could lecture us about stop signs and just because we wanted to keep our heart rate up we still need to stop. We were really trying to get through as quickly as possible without causing any traffic delay. We all were old enough to keep quiet and not laugh. As far as I know even before the change in the law, they could not ticket you for a stop sign in the mall that is not on a city street. Kenmore likes to watch the intersections between Log Boom park and Juanita road. There will probably be a few people caught for not stopping when there are vehicles at cross stop signs.
Old 01-02-21, 12:17 AM
Summersnake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's just an optimization!

I used to ride with a guy at Microsoft who wrote compilers. He used to point out that for cyclists, the stoplight was a no-op, and so the right thing to do was to optimize the codepath by omitting the stop. He didn't run red lights, he simply optimized them away (hopefully this is understandable by people who don't write optimizing compilers for a living;-))
Old 01-02-21, 09:19 AM
cficole

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Cruiser, 1995 Trek 700

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting idea, hope it works out. Driver education on the change will be important.
Old 06-06-21, 04:34 PM
Stetr24VW

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts
I've recently started riding again and noticed a lot of people "running" stops when turning right. Now I know why! Thanks for posting this!
Old 07-18-21, 12:45 PM
skipper0802

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Pro, 2008 5.2 Madone

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulled aside, preached to, and paid the ticket.

Originally Posted by woodway

At a stop sign on the Burke-Gilman, I pulled alongside a lady already waiting for the car to pass through. A moment later, when she rolled, I did too. The LFP officer pulled me aside and wrote me a ticket for not putting my foot down at the stop sign. Oh well.
Old 07-27-21, 09:13 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
This is both good news and bad. Bad because the situation you describe sounds ridiculous, but good because there's actually Seattle cops out there somewhere, actually doing something.
This statement shows a lack of lack of respect for the men and women in the Seattle PD that are trying to do a good job under difficult circumstances.

Getting ticketed for not putting a foot down is really stupid. But making a blanket statement like this about all Seattle police is not right either.
Likes For woodway:
Old 07-27-21, 12:02 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
You misinterpreted the post. I'm stating my support for the presence of Seattle Police in the face of budget restrictions and general backlash in the community, especially by young people ... even though the specific situation described here was ridiculous.
Sorry! My apologies and I will try to do a better job in the future. I'm sensitive because I have a son who is Seattle PD, and I hear what he deals with every day and the impact it has on him as a person.
Likes For woodway: