Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2016 Goals

Old 01-11-16, 11:00 PM
  #51  
Crazybikerdude
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3

Bikes: to many to list. 2014 5.2 Madone, Trek T1, XO2 crossbike, Trek Rig SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
TruTrainer looks really nice. I have a more basic approach, which is two flywheels attached to my Kreitlers.

Sorry for the noob question. What is the benefit of having a double flywheel on the rollers? To me, it just looks l Iike an engineer got bored and tried to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Crazybikerdude is offline  
Old 01-12-16, 01:25 AM
  #52  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazybikerdude View Post
Sorry for the noob question. What is the benefit of having a double flywheel on the rollers? To me, it just looks l Iike an engineer got bored and tried to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
The flywheel is a resistance unit.

Please forgive the following if you are familiar with rollers:

Rollers typically provide very little rolling resistance. Most of the workout that a rider gets is via aerobic expenditure from moving the legs. The resistance that a rider experiences is simply from the tires being deformed against the drums of the rollers. Narrow drums deform tires at a sharper angle than wide drums, thus providing more resistance.

"Why ever get wide drums then?"

Wide drums are preferred by those who use rollers to warmup for a race, actively cool down after a tough race/effort (like a kilo where simply sitting down is not advised), work on cadence, or work on form but do not want to expend energy overcoming resistance.

Now, if you have wide drums and you want to get resistance from them, Kreitler makes a resistance unit you can attach to get some resistance. NOW it feels like a mag or fluid trainer. Dunderhi attached two resistance units to is trainer (they are modular), giving a tough workout from a set of rollers that would normally offer minimum resistance. Think or turning a mag trainer switch from "no resistance" to almost "max resistance".
carleton is offline  
Old 01-12-16, 08:00 AM
  #53  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,583

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
I took an easier route to adding resistance to my wide-drum rollers - I bolted a bar across the frame just in front of the rear roller.

And I put strong magnets on the bar.

Instant resistance through the magic of science.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 01-12-16, 10:51 AM
  #54  
dunderhi
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: 130 miles from Ttown
Posts: 435

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
@carleton - Thanks, for the assist, but I'll qualify it a bit that it's not quite as hard as a mag trainer on Max - even with the head unit.

@queerpunk - True, the magnet solution alone would allow me to crank it up to Max, but the flywheels also have the added benefits of feeling more road-like and allow me to coast, well... technically allow my wife to coast, since I've very recently moved onto a set of TruTrainers (which are more compact with an internal flywheel).
dunderhi is offline  
Old 01-12-16, 11:23 AM
  #55  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,583

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
@carleton - Thanks, for the assist, but I'll qualify it a bit that it's not quite as hard as a mag trainer on Max - even with the head unit.

@queerpunk - True, the magnet solution alone would allow me to crank it up to Max, but the flywheels also have the added benefits of feeling more road-like and allow me to coast, well... technically allow my wife to coast, since I've very recently moved onto a set of TruTrainers (which are more compact with an internal flywheel).
yeah - that sounds excellent.
with the magnets I kind of have to make a decision between resistance and road feel. I can scootch the magnets closer or further from the rollers in order to increase or decrease the resistance, but if i have enough resistance to let me get up to real watts, the road feel definitely goes away.

but, it's definitely broadened the range of power output that i can do on the rollers.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 01-19-16, 12:52 AM
  #56  
MnFors
Newbie
 
MnFors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to become a good sprinter. I did a for fun sprint race at a road clinic, and while I have no problem beating normal riders my own age, I got destroyed by the other sprinters and the few adults there.
MnFors is offline  
Old 01-19-16, 07:17 AM
  #57  
MrMinty
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, UK
Posts: 90

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MnFors View Post
I want to become a good sprinter. I did a for fun sprint race at a road clinic, and while I have no problem beating normal riders my own age, I got destroyed by the other sprinters and the few adults there.
What kind of "sprinter" are you aiming to be- a pure sprinter who specialises in short distances e.g. 200m tt, match sprint etc or an endurance rider that has a strong sprint, that would excel in a points race, end of a scratch race etc. These are 2 very different things. I am in the latter- a track endurance racer. I'm aiming for the points & elimination races this year and am building my recovery rate by doing HIIT sessions
MrMinty is offline  
Old 01-19-16, 08:37 AM
  #58  
MnFors
Newbie
 
MnFors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty View Post
What kind of "sprinter" are you aiming to be
I want to focus on pure power and the short events. I have a bad VO2 max, so high speed distance riding then a sprint are much harder than one anaerobic effort.
MnFors is offline  
Old 01-19-16, 12:19 PM
  #59  
VanceMac
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,318
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MnFors View Post
I have a bad VO2 max
If only there some way to improve that...
VanceMac is offline  
Old 01-20-16, 05:04 AM
  #60  
sergioflorez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
get on track finally
sergioflorez is offline  
Old 01-20-16, 01:01 PM
  #61  
rensho3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Ana
Posts: 279

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac View Post
If only there some way to improve that...
It's amazing what a few pounds loss will do for VO2

Last edited by rensho3; 01-20-16 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Fix typo
rensho3 is offline  
Old 01-21-16, 08:08 AM
  #62  
gtrob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 740

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac View Post
If only there some way to improve that...
longer cranks?
gtrob is offline  
Old 01-21-16, 06:28 PM
  #63  
taras0000
Lapped 3x
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
longer cranks?
No, you do it by switching from 1/8 to 3/32.
taras0000 is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 07:17 AM
  #64  
MrMinty
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, UK
Posts: 90

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Finish Manchester Velodrome Accreditation process

Annoyed- Went for Stage 2 yesterday and the whole of my group failed because 1 of the group couldn't hold a wheel.

We were doing through and off but going back into the pack rather than to the very back. There were 14 of us, so rider 1 went to postion 4, rider 5 to 8, rider 9 to 11 and 12 to 14 (the very back)

I was rider 10, and rider 9 left a big gap between him and no 8, so when he pulled up, there was a bloody massive gulf between me and the rider in front, so I had to try and close that down every bloody time.

Slightly annoyed, but eggs is eggs.
MrMinty is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 07:04 PM
  #65  
McRussellPants
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Original goals were a Flying 200 in the 12.5 ballpark and try to get through the 3s to a real late season 2 upgrade.

But... through the perfect storm of a slipped forward cleat and broken shoe strap and me being an idiot on a bike geared too tall for the street I pulled my achilles. At any rate, the end result is partial tear or just the most gnarly case of tendopathy I could have come up with.

Going to a DPT tommorow, but right now I'm thinking I want to rehab it as best as we can without surgery and see if it sticks. Either way, currently would be happy to not lose ground this year to last, we'll see.
McRussellPants is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 07:31 PM
  #66  
1incpa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
That really sucks McRussell! Hopefully it's not too bad.
Paul
1incpa is offline  
Old 01-26-16, 12:02 PM
  #67  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by McRussellPants View Post
Original goals were a Flying 200 in the 12.5 ballpark and try to get through the 3s to a real late season 2 upgrade.

But... through the perfect storm of a slipped forward cleat and broken shoe strap and me being an idiot on a bike geared too tall for the street I pulled my achilles. At any rate, the end result is partial tear or just the most gnarly case of tendopathy I could have come up with.

Going to a DPT tommorow, but right now I'm thinking I want to rehab it as best as we can without surgery and see if it sticks. Either way, currently would be happy to not lose ground this year to last, we'll see.
Good luck, man.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon playing basketball back in 2006. Ironically, I rode my fixed gear on the street to rehab it.
carleton is offline  
Old 02-25-16, 04:42 AM
  #68  
MrMinty
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, UK
Posts: 90

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Finish Manchester Velodrome Accreditation process (Stage 1 of 4 done, open sessions booked to learn stage 2 drills)

Went to do Stage 2 again, but there weren't enough of us there. Did some other drills- Shoulder to shoulder riding, madison changes, stacking, rolling up and stopping on the top barrier, pursuit style changes. Disappointed I didn't get through to stage 3 but some skills learnt that will be handy in race situations, and things I haven't done before even on a shallow outdoor velodrome.

2. Overall top half finish of track league in B Endurance (runs weekly May-Sept)

Hopeful I can still do this, but I'm just thinking that as its my first year racing, and after talking on the forum, I want to try all races and see where my strengths/weaknesses lie (Carleton- you make a sprinter of me yet!)
MrMinty is offline  
Old 02-25-16, 07:51 AM
  #69  
dunderhi
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: 130 miles from Ttown
Posts: 435

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrMinty View Post
1. Finish Manchester Velodrome Accreditation process (Stage 1 of 4 done, open sessions booked to learn stage 2 drills)

Went to do Stage 2 again, but there weren't enough of us there. Did some other drills- Shoulder to shoulder riding, madison changes, stacking, rolling up and stopping on the top barrier, pursuit style changes. Disappointed I didn't get through to stage 3 but some skills learnt that will be handy in race situations, and things I haven't done before even on a shallow outdoor velodrome.

2. Overall top half finish of track league in B Endurance (runs weekly May-Sept)

Hopeful I can still do this, but I'm just thinking that as its my first year racing, and after talking on the forum, I want to try all races and see where my strengths/weaknesses lie (Carleton- you make a sprinter of me yet!)
You're getting in some track time, so it isn't all bad right?

For your first couple of years of racing, there's no need to specialized. Get out there and learn/experience as much as you can about all of the events. Your specialty will find you.
dunderhi is offline  
Old 03-07-16, 07:14 AM
  #70  
MrMinty
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wrexham, UK
Posts: 90

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
You're getting in some track time, so it isn't all bad right?

For your first couple of years of racing, there's no need to specialized. Get out there and learn/experience as much as you can about all of the events. Your specialty will find you.
Yeah, track time is all good (especially as the weather in the UK is so rubbish at the moment). Only a few more weeks until the outdoor tracks open properly though

Good news is, I passed my Stage 2 this weekend. Did yet more different exercises- Maintaining half laps, "square dance" changing, dropping down in a line then swinging back up etc. All good track craft. Stage 3 on Easter Sunday I hope
MrMinty is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 12:15 AM
  #71  
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member
 
WhatsYoCadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goals are to beat MarkWW in a match sprint.
WhatsYoCadence is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 03:08 AM
  #72  
Dalai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
@WhatsYoCadence short term or stretch goal?
Dalai is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 11:59 AM
  #73  
TrackMonkey7
Senior Member
 
TrackMonkey7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey @WhatsYoCadence, have we met? I'm trying to guess who you might be at Kissena. I know you're not Jesse or BJ. Reveal yourself!
TrackMonkey7 is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 12:42 PM
  #74  
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member
 
WhatsYoCadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7 View Post
Hey @WhatsYoCadence, have we met? I'm trying to guess who you might be at Kissena. I know you're not Jesse or BJ. Reveal yourself!

I'm guessing you're Nick B.?
WhatsYoCadence is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 12:49 PM
  #75  
TrackMonkey7
Senior Member
 
TrackMonkey7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence View Post
I'm guessing you're Nick B.?
The one and only.
TrackMonkey7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.