Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Shoe recommendations

Old 11-10-21, 03:12 PM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shoe recommendations

My pair of Lake MX237 shoes are near the end of their life. I am looking for a shoe that has a narrow heel but a wide and high toe box. I am a D-width. I have tried a Specialized Recon 3.0, a Shimano XC701 which are too tight in the toe box. Any recommendations based on shoes that you actually have worn. Need to be spd compatible.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-10-21, 05:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I forget if you told me about the availability of Lake shoes. They always seemed to be the best at making wide shoes
Old 11-10-21, 07:53 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
If the lakes were good, get another pair. I also tried the Shimano but their wide is not. My road shoes have been Sidi Mega but they are loose in the heel and my next road shoes will be lakes like my MTB lakes.
Old 11-14-21, 08:32 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
I recently had the chance to try on a Shimano winter shoe, the mw 701 with their Volume+ last. I was blown away by how comfortable and wide they were! Wider in the toe box then the wide width lake winter boots!

Looking into it more, I'll be looking for something from Shimano that features either their Volume+ last or other "Volume" lasts. I was really impressed with the fit considering their standard last is quite narrow.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...echnology.html
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 11-19-21, 07:29 AM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wide shoe

In August 2018 I purchased the Shimano SH-XC7E Mountain Bike Shoe. It has a carbon midsole and I bought it in a wide width. Best shoe I've ever had. Very comfortable and a grippy Michelon rubber sole for great traction while walking. I thought about another pair but these are holding up very well.
Old 11-19-21, 07:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
It is hard to compare shoes. I went thru several different makes. I am just over 12 1/2 on the brannock device and width is between D and E. Street shoes are a pain since they are often in a 12 or 13.

I found the Sidi Mega to work for me. I have 4 pairs, all bought new unused on fleebay for a good price, relatively. 48 Mega Dragons....I have rarely used them, they feel like boat ankors. 47 Mega 6.6 for most of my riding and 48 Mega for long distance events to give room for swelling and use of wool socks. I drill the 6.6 road shoe soles for SPD. They have enough height that I can put thick stiff insoles inside. I had gone to a million bike shops and none of them stock shoes and certainly not for big feet. Some of the online stores have very generous return policies, this might be your best bet.

From what I have read over the years, really big wide feet like Lake shoes.
Old 05-12-22, 10:33 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've been riding the same pair of dominators on brevets for the past 7 seasons, and they're still in remarkably good shape, but I decided it was time to treat myself to a new pair of shoes. I got a pair of Lake MX238's, which is what Lake customer service recommended for a long-distance 2-bolt shoe. The MX238's are comfortable enough but really chunky compared to the sidi's. I wish I would have gotten another pair of dominators.

Last edited by kingston; 05-12-22 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 12:39 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I'm also a fan of Lake!