Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are they fooling us?! a rant

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are they fooling us?! a rant

Old 11-18-21, 04:59 PM
  #176  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,611 Posts
Or, I could go full curmudgeon and get a vintage Basso Loto in my size for much less than the cost of a set of bars that will assplode anyway.

BASSO LOTO Vintage Italian Steel - bicycles - by owner - bike sale (craigslist.org)
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 05:10 PM
  #177  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,032

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked 5,667 Times in 2,890 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Or, I could go full curmudgeon and get a vintage Basso Loto in my size for much less than the cost of a set of bars that will assplode anyway.

BASSO LOTO Vintage Italian Steel - bicycles - by owner - bike sale (craigslist.org)
Too small. Were there NO 6' tall cyclists in the 1980s?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 05:20 PM
  #178  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,611 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Too small. Were there NO 6' tall cyclists in the 1980s?
It's a 56, same as my Trek. Don't you think it will fit?
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 05:23 PM
  #179  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,611 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Too small. Were there NO 6' tall cyclists in the 1980s?
How about a Centurion Dave Scott Master edition for you in 60?

Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master - bicycles - by owner - bike sale (craigslist.org)

Or, maybe a Klein with DuraAce for you:

Vintage Klein Quantum Race Road Bike 60cm Made In USA - bicycles -... (craigslist.org)
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 05:27 PM
  #180  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,032

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked 5,667 Times in 2,890 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
It's a 56, same as my Trek. Don't you think it will fit?
56's don't fit me without an extra long seatpost and a 130mm stem. Like this one:
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 05:39 PM
  #181  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,032

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked 5,667 Times in 2,890 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
60's too big. I need a 57-58cm top tube. And I already HAVE a Centurion Ironman, in 58, which fits:

__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 05:58 PM
  #182  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,580

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6588 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 952 Posts
I'd love to find a 58 cm Raleigh frame to replace my Olympian frame, which has been folded, bent, flattened, and straightened too many times to be really straight and square .....
Maelochs is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 06:00 PM
  #183  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,371

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6459 Post(s)
Liked 6,120 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
I didnt get to be my age by being stupid.

​​​​​But you did get stu.... never mind, too easy.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-18-21, 06:35 PM
  #184  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked 1,618 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Why would you assume that I dont have "the faintest clue" about what is on new bikes? I didnt get to be my age by being stupid.
Just by the stuff you post on here. It's a joke.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-18-21, 06:43 PM
  #185  
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Everywhere, All the time.
Posts: 106

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Zas View Post
Does anyone else think the marketing departments of bike brands and component makers are too much in control of what bikes we ride at any given time? Do you all think this is the way to go? They want to sell us new bikes that are more incompatible and more expensive every few years by any means necessary.

Right now my daily ride is an 80s steel touring bike. Straight 1" steerer, threaded headset. Threaded bb. Cantilever brakes. Shimano 600 indexed downtube shifting from the 90s, hyperglide cassette. Can fit fenders, racks and 37mm gravel or winter tires. I can get all spares for it cheap and they are actually being manufactured still, not everything can always be bought off the shelf from the LBS though. For example a fine quality 7s cassette costs a fraction compared to a modern 1x12 cassette. If I crash, I only trash a cheap brake lever, not a brifter that costs hundreds. Maintenance is easy because the technology has been there for 40 years, once you learn it you´re done. They are trying to force us to buy new stuff for no other reason than to get money from us. There´s been very little development in the modern quality bicycle in the past 40 years(with the exception of the mountain bike, which is arguably better today compared to the 90s). Honestly, we could have stopped most of the development in the 90s and be perfectly happy! For road, touring and commuting anyway.

The end result of all this in 2021: Keeping a good parts stock for the small LBS is next to impossible (let´s start with the hundreds of headset and bb standards, 7-13s cassettes, the list goes on). Learning the skills to service your new bike is a process (disc brake flushing, integrated cable routing, hub and bb service). Collecting all the different special tools for your new bike can be expensive. Spares for your modern bike are more and more expensive (cassette, derailleurs, chainrings) and sometimes hard to get (proprietary seatposts, stems, headsets, thru axles etc.). Sometimes you have a hard time even determining what parts you have on your bike next to you (headset: tapered? integrated? size?). All for some undetermined undefined quite marginal gain! Does anyone else think we´re being fooled a bit here?

Tell me I´m wrong. Rant over.

you’re wrong.
MaxKatt is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 06:54 PM
  #186  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,032

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked 5,667 Times in 2,890 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
you’re wrong.
Why didn't you say that DAYS ago! We could have saved a lot of effort!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-18-21, 06:55 PM
  #187  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,032

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked 5,667 Times in 2,890 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Just by the stuff you post on here. It's a joke.
I was thinking he misused "assume" where he meant "conclude."
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 07:02 PM
  #188  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,297

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked 4,238 Times in 2,541 Posts
This thread has run it's course.

CLOSED
__________________
Life is good






cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.