Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting - Assess yourself for 2021!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 05:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts

Today might have been the last ride to work for me this year, so that means it's time to look back. Some people are finishing up this week. Check your entries in the mileage thread and think back on your year. How did you do? Did you set goals (for mileage or budget or fitness), did you meet them? Did you learn, were you happy? What does 2022 look like?

Previous iterations. Seems like I just forgot in 2019. You can forgive me I'm sure forgetting 2020, we all had a lot on our minds

edit - found the 2019 version after all!

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...lf-2019-a.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...lf-2018-a.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...lf-2017-a.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...lf-2016-a.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...lf-2015-a.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...lf-2014-a.html
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-16-21 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-16-21, 07:52 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
This was my best year yet, primarily because I began commuting 100% of the time by bike. Because I changed jobs, right now my commute is only 3 miles. I did 1042 miles as of today, but will certainly bike more before the year ends. Next year I plan to move, and will bike and bus to work. My number should go up even more! I’m pleased that I’ve biked in below zero temperatures, and started to change the culture at work. If I’m really lucky, I’ll sell my car next spring and use only a bike and public transit. Fingers crossed!
Likes For Alligator:
Old 12-16-21, 10:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Well, this year was certainly better than last! March is usually when my commuting season takes off, but in March 2020 I saw the writing on the wall and decided to start working from home even before my company made it official. So I achieved only 19 commutes, mostly for days that I had to go in and use lab equipment that I couldn't access from home.

This year, I got up to 55.5 commutes (can't shake those pesky half-commutes once you get one!) Many of them were also visits to the lab, but I took quite a few "gratuitous" commutes to a mostly-empty building just to get more bike rides in. I have 3 times the total mileage in and am feeling much better for it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-21, 08:38 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Spent most of the first half of the year working online, but still managed to get out before work every morning to ride the equivalent of what I'd normally ride on a daily commute--39 km. So mileage wise it's about the same.

Total riding however, I PR'ed at 21,000 km, and counting. Last year I fell short of 20,000.
Old 12-17-21, 08:56 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Quite pleased with myself for sticking with it through rain and shine - only about four or five car days all year. Started the year with Covid so didn't do any mileage before February and I've had three different length commutes 10km, 38km and my current 27km. Should come in at about 4,200km for the year.

Enjoyed!!

Last edited by Welshboy; 12-17-21 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-17-21, 12:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
in the dog house. didn't ride to work a single day in 2021
Old 12-17-21, 09:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I might have a couple more rides next week but I have time to write right now and don't think anything substantial will happen.

Coming out of the bad covid spike last winter I was eager to get back riding and I really needed to get back to the office for some things I can do there and not at home. Our older kid was already in a sort of locked-down version of first grade in the morning and an afternoon program through the city. There is a daycare nearby where he had gone before, and now we sent in our twins. This enabled me to ride, sometimes. In the summer his program went full time. But when school started it ended, and so my routine became a morning affair - deliver kids, ride to office, ride back to daycare, retrieve kids. My wife had bariatric surgery in late summer that required her to have a crash diet and I joined her, and lost maybe as much as twenty pounds by around October. On the return leg I was making it uphill quicker on more direct routes on my single speed. I was feeling pretty good about things.

Starting in September things have been hard. Kiddo did ok in half time half full classroom covid-lockdown first grade, but has not done well at all in full time full classroom second grade, which we anticipated, and it has caused a lot of interruptions. We did not expect the boy twin to start having similar trouble in daycare, but he has. In October I got breakthrough Delta, recovery was a few weeks and I fell off the diet wagon hard. In November I had a stupid crash and broke my thumb, and in December, last week was a bad one for the kid and this week, we finally got a lot of rain. So fitness, which is mostly my goal here, has really fallen off.

I also have not been able to ride with my kids as much as before. The boy twin still isn't riding though he surely has the coordination, and that makes it a little awkward, and opportunities don't seem as frequent as a year ago. The girl twin is riding great, she is going to be a terror... kiddo never really got beyond basic pedaling in three years of practice and I'm not asking much of him.

Might make it to 800 miles this year. Kiddo is starting a program in a smaller class in another school, where he will be bussed five miles so I no longer need to drive him half a mile. The twins start kindergarten in August. Here's to healing thumbs in 2022.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-17-21 at 10:27 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-18-21, 09:22 AM
genezimer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 12-21-21, 05:53 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
4260 km this year, down from about 5000 in the last years. Work from home and the lack of club rides has left its impact. Hoping that 2022 will be better!
Likes For alias5000:
Old 12-25-21, 10:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Zero bike stuff in the stocking this year. I'm ok with it.
Old 12-26-21, 07:59 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
Changed my commutes this year. Started driving all the way to work on Monday's. Carrying lunches, clothes, etc. for the week. Bringing my bike to work on Monday's and going for an after work ride.

Driving to a Park N Ride closer to work the other days to get to work earlier. Then extending my afternoon/evening rides. Of course commuting mileage is down. But so is total mileage.