Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

"Cities aren't loud, cars are loud"

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 01-10-22, 02:23 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 267 Posts

"Not Just Bikes" Youtuber measures Dba:
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 01-10-22, 02:31 PM
Troul 
:D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 1,090 Posts
cars aren't loud, people are loud.
Old 01-10-22, 04:14 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked 507 Times in 375 Posts
Yeah, they're loud, even the EV's, mostly from the tires, but also just the mass of metal moving thru air. Don't get me started on the horns...
Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-11-22, 05:51 AM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 6451 Post(s)
Liked 6,096 Times in 3,443 Posts
I call bs on the supposed health and stress effects at the moderate level of noise. I find it ironic that the video cited noise cancelling headphones as a way people cope with it without noticing that if the issue is sound levels, headphones themselves would be enormously stressful. Hell, putting the TV on at home is somewhat suicidal by this logic.

I suspect that whatever studies are supporting this stress=bad health effects of noise are largely being confounded by noisy cities generally being more stressful places for a whole host of reasons. Not to mention the obvious socioeconomic issue that wealthier people tend to live in quieter places.

Otherwise, motor vehicles are loud and water is wet.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-11-22 at 05:54 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-11-22, 07:34 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Still like his "stuff". I will leave it alone after one more which involves the benefits to drivers:

Heh, if it addresses peaceful coexistence, I'm interested.
Old 01-11-22, 07:37 AM
Troul 
:D

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 1,090 Posts
Lawn equipment is more of a problem for noise. Would be nice to have 4 days a week without those going for hours.
Old 01-11-22, 10:09 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 674 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
The ironic solution for a quiet city is in fact, small electric planes which is a VERY GOOD thing for riders as it will reduce # of cars on the road. Planes don't kill cyclists unless some really crazy stupid pilot.
All the cyclists would have to worry about is looking up to see where the debris is going to land after the inevitable mid air crash from 'pilots' flying while texting.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-11-22, 11:15 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Lawn equipment is more of a problem for noise. Would be nice to have 4 days a week without those going for hours.
I hear ya, Brother! Here I am in the middle of a wooded suburbia and the only house that isn't in love with blowers and yard (dust-rearranger) workers. I don't own ANY gas/electric powered yard what-nots, no chemicals. Nice and quiet on my end, till the hoity toities start throwing money and pollution to the wind! No wonder so many birds and assorted wildlife like to chill in and cruise through my place
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 01-11-22, 03:08 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,110 Times in 678 Posts
The violence in cities is stressful.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-11-22, 03:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman View Post
I hear ya, Brother! Here I am in the middle of a wooded suburbia and the only house that isn't in love with blowers and yard (dust-rearranger) workers. I don't own ANY gas/electric powered yard what-nots, no chemicals. Nice and quiet on my end, till the hoity toities start throwing money and pollution to the wind! No wonder so many birds and assorted wildlife like to chill in and cruise through my place
Care to show any pictures of wildlife and birds chilling in your wooded suburbia wonderland?
Old 01-12-22, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15312 Post(s)
Liked 9,065 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
I live in the big city. Not a problem in most residential areas. Concrete doesn't need mowing. Jackhammers are the big problem when a lateral sewer/water/gas line connection needs repair.
Old 01-12-22, 12:41 PM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

This thread started with an OP that had almost nothing to do with bicycling. The thread has now drifted over to "lawn blowers are louder than cars and jackhammers" or "prove you have birds in your yard" or something equally unfascinating. Absolutely nothing to do with bicycling safety and/or advocacy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-12-22, 02:03 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked 507 Times in 375 Posts
Since this thread is now about how many birds we have in our yards...I have some pics of birds I actively attract to my yard by creating habitat...Someone said they wanted to see pics, right

Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-12-22, 03:01 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman View Post
You’re always welcome to take our urban trash pandas off our hands. This fat boy ended up staring into my neighbor's kitchen window as they were preparing dinner.

But leave the possums. They eat ticks. I'll spare you the gruesome photo of the possum carcass I found on my back fence not too long ago. Looks like a the work of a hawk. Yes. We have them, too.

And last, but definitely not least, there was pizza groundhog about a 5 minute walk from my house:

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-12-22 at 03:11 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-12-22, 03:03 PM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
Since this thread is now about how many birds we have in our yards...I have some pics of birds I actively attract to my yard by creating habitat...Someone said they wanted to see pics, right

Those are way too nice for this forum.

So when you take a picture of a birdie, do you say "Watch the human!"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-12-22, 03:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
So when you take a picture of a birdie, do you say "Watch the human!"
"Say 'Bird seed!'"
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-12-22, 05:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
Your pictures of birds are very nice, well done. Actually I was really interested in seeing what habitat for wildlife the OP created in his corner of suburbia without the yard work, chemicals and other lawn paraphernalia that he criticizes his neighbors for using.
Old 01-13-22, 06:25 AM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Your pictures of birds are very nice, well done. Actually I was really interested in seeing what habitat for wildlife the OP created in his corner of suburbia without the yard work, chemicals and other lawn paraphernalia that he criticizes his neighbors for using.

So you're trolling for an argument about lawn care on a bicycle safety and advocacy forum?!?!?!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-22, 10:12 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

So you're trolling for an argument about lawn care on a bicycle safety and advocacy forum?!?!?!
Ya mean this thread about noisy cars, lawn mowers and the noisy neighbors of the OP is all about bicycle safety and advocacy? Who besides you knew?
Old 01-13-22, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Ya mean this thread about noisy cars, lawn mowers and the noisy neighbors of the OP is all about bicycle safety and advocacy?
I never said that. Exactly the opposite, actually. Post 12 above. But no one else but you wanted to start an argument about what's in people's yards, and you were explicit about doing just that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-22, 12:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I never said that. Exactly the opposite, actually. Post 12 above. But no one else but you wanted to start an argument about what's in people's yards, and you were explicit about doing just that.
Starting an argument over whatever you think was the meaning or intent of whatever was posted is YOUR thing. I anticipate you will continue to nip at other posters' heels and inform the BF membership of what should or should not be posted on whatever thread you please.
Old 01-13-22, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Care to show any pictures of wildlife and birds chilling in your wooded suburbia wonderland?
Starting an argument over whatever you think was the meaning or intent of whatever was posted is YOUR thing.

Yeah, "you're trolling a fight about lawn care on a cycling forum" was a really huge stretch on my part.
QED

BTW, you complain all the time about people going off-topic. It's one of YOUR things.
Old 01-13-22, 12:48 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 117 Posts
Cars are lould like hell, they smell like hell, and are dangerous like hell. What the hell are you guys talking about ???
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 01-13-22, 01:06 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12039 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,528 Posts
I call bs on the supposed health and stress effects at the moderate level of noise. I find it ironic that the video cited noise cancelling headphones as a way people cope with it without noticing that if the issue is sound levels, headphones themselves would be enormously stressful. Hell, putting the TV on at home is somewhat suicidal by this logic.

I suspect that whatever studies are supporting this stress=bad health effects of noise are largely being confounded by noisy cities generally being more stressful places for a whole host of reasons. Not to mention the obvious socioeconomic issue that wealthier people tend to live in quieter places.

Otherwise, motor vehicles are loud and water is wet.
I am not going to disagree, because at a minimum I find even moderate levels of noise "disrupting." But, do you understand how "noise canceling headphones" work? They actually cancel the noise by creating a wave of noise in the opposite phase as the noise detected. When you wear those types of headphones, and have no other input, all the outside noise is turned into a low "shhhhhhh" noise. They really do cancel the outside noise. Now, having said all that... I would find wearing headphones, all day to also be "distracting."
Old 01-13-22, 01:18 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12039 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,528 Posts
Not to dismiss your argument at all... just to comment.

For several months I worked in La Jolla CA, in the middle of this very upscale little village. I was "working from home," out of a studio apartment... right after COVID lockdown. There was very little traffic in the area... which was interesting. Very little automobile noise.

However, every week, on different days, a whole platoon of various workers came into the neighborhood.

First giant trash trucks... on different days, picking up trash from the alley dumpsters that served the local apartments, condos and small shops. CRASH BANG, HUGE METALLIC SOUNDS AND ENGINE NOISE. OK, awake now?

Next were the yard workers... each a small crew. Each serving a different building/lawn public area, and each arriving on different days... So every day, but in different yards, was the sound of mowers, edgers and blowers... always BLOWERS AND MOWERS, TRIMMERS... ALL LOUD FOR AN HOUR OR MORE. Each day, a different lawn or building... some in back, some in front.

It was surprising just how noisy this all this was, and how sort of random it was. Broke my concentration every damn time. "City noises."
Likes For genec:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.