Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you a Member of a Bike Club?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are you a Member of a Bike Club?

Old 09-06-19, 08:31 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Not currently, but thinking about it for next year. Right now I am connect to a couple of large groups riders and we go out regularly to do group rides. We are not quite as organized in our schedule as a club, nor in the structure of our rides, but it is nonetheless lots of fun.
I'm a member of the Etobicoke Cycling Club. If you're in that area, it's a great group.

Last edited by OBoile; 09-06-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 01:12 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I'm a member of the Etobicoke Cycling Club. If you're in that area, it's a great group.
A buddy of mine and I are talking about perhaps joining for next year. Lots of guys we ride with belong to one or another, but they ride with us as well. They've even asked us to join them on some of their rides, but we haven't. I'm a little uncomfortable about tagging along on a group ride like that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm up in York Region, so a bit far to go. We usually like to ride to the meeting spots, which are usually within 15 km or less. That way we tag on another 30 km to our total mileage. Riding down to Etobicoke would be a ride in itself already.
Old 09-06-19, 01:31 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
A buddy of mine and I are talking about perhaps joining for next year. Lots of guys we ride with belong to one or another, but they ride with us as well. They've even asked us to join them on some of their rides, but we haven't. I'm a little uncomfortable about tagging along on a group ride like that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm up in York Region, so a bit far to go. We usually like to ride to the meeting spots, which are usually within 15 km or less. That way we tag on another 30 km to our total mileage. Riding down to Etobicoke would be a ride in itself already.
I get that. I often joke that my only gripe with the ECC is that it is in Etobicoke. We have to ride 25km to get out of town and finally get some good riding in. Find a club on the outskirts of the GTA and you avoid this.
Old 09-06-19, 03:02 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I get that. I often joke that my only gripe with the ECC is that it is in Etobicoke. We have to ride 25km to get out of town and finally get some good riding in. Find a club on the outskirts of the GTA and you avoid this.
I'm pretty much in that 'outskirts' of town you are referring to. I'm within a 3 km ride of one of the most popular meeting spots for cyclists to head up Warden and Kennedy all the way to Lake Simcoe. There are a few other spots that are a bit further north that we meet, but by far Victoria Square (Woodbine and Elgin Mills) is the most popular. I do dislike having to drive to the meeting spot.

Northwest routes are nice as well. I did the Schomberg ride a few weeks ago for the first time. Tons of cyclists on the route there.
Old 09-06-19, 06:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yep, but there's no roster or dues on the groups I ride with regularly. A couple of groups or clubs have club jerseys or t-shirts that most folks wear on those organized rides. Most of them have evening rides during the week to accommodate member schedules, and one or two daytime weekend rides.

One local group emphasizes fixies, probably due in part to the earned animus against rookie fixie riders in most groups. Multi-geared bikes are welcomed, but don't gripe about how the fixie riders ride. Usually there's no problem with experienced riders who can track stand without weaving all over the place, or don't endanger other folks with skids, etc. The problem is with incompetent fixie riders in large casual groups where many participants are barely competent cyclists.

There are a few more organized clubs, dues and rosters, etc., but I haven't joined. Most of the groups I ride with occasionally are just for special events, fund raisers, etc. I'll sometimes join their training rides but seldom ride the actual events. Unless it's a full century or longer with some roadside support, I'd rather ride on my own or with a couple of friends and work out stops along the route.

The roadie group I ride with morphed a bit over the past couplafew years but it seems to have settled into a groove that most participants find acceptable. For awhile it was one ride, no A or B, but as some longtime members aged and younger riders joined, it wasn't practical to expect everyone to hold an A or A- level pace.

So the fellow who started the club split it into A and B, with the B pace around 14-16 mph. Ride leaders are ad hoc, depending on who shows up. And the pace is adjusted accordingly -- especially summer rides the temp is still over 100, when it's closer to 14 mph tops.

The A group is often a free for all hammerfest, which is what some folks wanted. Nominally no drop but it never works out that way. Most regulars form up small co-ops of 2 or 3 friends to pull each other as the group splits, usually after a couple of climbs. My only concern about that group is without clear leadership and guidelines it's often sketchy, even dangerous depending on who shows up. Some guys are strong and fast but not safe in groups. They'd get a good yelling-at by any of the serious local teams. I occasionally see the local pro team training on a nearby route and they're completely different -- tight, smooth, controlled and fast. They have a few participants who aren't active pros, because they ride with the same discipline and ability.
Old 09-06-19, 08:16 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 263 Posts
PBA, OHBA and EVMA.
Old 09-07-19, 06:45 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Yes
Old 09-07-19, 07:12 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
One of my buddies from our club joined Bike Forums today ! I'm posting the photo he made this morning on our country road ride. Justin @JTilghman87 say "hi" or something here and you'll have 1 of the required 10 posts to be able to post pics and get private messages. His newbie status may prevent him from seeing this mention ???

Old 09-07-19, 09:08 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You know what the first and second rules of Bike Club are. You don't talk about Bike Club.

Ahhh beat me too it!!!

Yes one local club. Just a social club really but still a bicycle club nonetheless
Old 09-08-19, 06:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Surprisingly...no.

The last town I lived in did not have a formal club, despite having a large and active cycling community. There were shop rides, weekend rides, early morning rides, gravel rides, women's rides, covering all levels from race training to beginner. The early morning group has jerseys, but it's not a formal club.

I always thought that a club would be a nice idea, as it would make things a bit more democratic and might allow more people to get involved as ride leaders, route planners, and so forth.

I've thought about joining the local club in my new place, but most of the rides start 15+ miles from both home and work, and I've never been much for driving to rides. I might join anyhow, as it's only $20, and it would allow me to stay in the Meetup group in case something really fun pops up.
Old 09-08-19, 07:27 PM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I joined a club this year, RevRock. My second year in cycling and have really enjoyed it. I think has made me a better cyclist and has helped me improve. The folks are friendly and really helpful. They usually have A and B group rides, every Tuesday, Thursday starting from same point and then vary the Saturday ride depending on the upcoming “big” event. They also help put on one of the local event rides.
Old 09-09-19, 06:41 AM
JTilghman87

Bikes: GT Series 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks Deal4Fuji! Enjoyed the ride yesterday as well too! Thanks for jumping in on such a last minute ride, hah.
Old 09-09-19, 10:57 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Yes, I've been a member of the New York Cycle Club since 2006.
If we move out of NYC in the near future we would definitely look into joining another Club in our new locaale.
But if we don't move out of NYC in the near future I'm not sure how much longer we would remain members of the NYCC.
Old 09-09-19, 11:39 AM
sooner1

Bikes: Trek 5.2 Madone SSL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the founders and member of Shawnee Trail Cycling Club, North Texas. 10 years old, 800+ members, rides six days a week of various paces. Very heavily involved in communities and local cycling events. Oh yeah, National Bicycle Club of the Year 2018

100% no-drop rides, from slowest to fastest pace. 501(c)3

A couple of things
  1. come visit and ride if you're in the Frisco Tx area and
  2. Article available on our website regarding "Why a club supported ride?"
Old 09-09-19, 01:54 PM
ssmiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try Meetup.com

Originally Posted by cycledogg
Not a Race Team or Race Club, but a local cycling club. I'm just curious who are members here. I am: Columbia Cycling Club, Tennessee
The club I am a member of does have folks who race bikes, but it is not a specific racing only club. There are MTB, Road and Triathlete members. But most are folks who like to get together and ride. We organize one century a year, a MTB race and a Tri race. And of course we have Saturday morning rides and one night ride a week.
Cheers
I am in Vancouver and there are several meetup cycling groups on meetup.com. Some do fast/race type rides, some mountain bike, some bike touring/camping and some just social rides to get coffee or ice cream.
Old 09-09-19, 06:03 PM
Turner2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though I don't participate in all their rides I do like to support my local club with membership and entry fee for the one big event they do each year. They do good things in the community and put on a great event.

Capital City Cyclists in Tallahassee FL.
Old 09-09-19, 08:46 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Only a member of one club and that's the Bangkok Hash House Bikers, a splinter group of the Hash House Harriers. Basically we are a drinking club with a cycling problem! Rides are all mountain bike rides although they can also be done with a gravel bike for the most part. Meet once a month usually outside of Bangkok somewhere at a resort/hotel. Do a 40km ride on Saturday followed by dinner and drinks and more drinks. Sunday we do a hangover ride of about 25km followed by lunch. All are welcome.

In the Seattle area I'm not a dues paying member of the Cascade Bicycle Club. However, if you ride on one of their rides you have to register and by doing so you are made a "basic member". Kind of an odd concept that just recently started in the last couple of years. They do have a lot of daily rides throughout the year and also sponsor a lot of cycling events in the area.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-09-19, 11:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I used to do the Hash when I lived in Almaty in the 90s. That was a good time.
Old 09-10-19, 01:26 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

The hammer rides are worse. Leadership amounts to who is the biggest wang swinging ass. Meaning, no guarantee of any kind of decorum, rules, safety, or organization. Just some ass who likes to control "who's in" their cliq and who's not. . . . There's a difference between being the fastest ass and being a leader.

Just my $0.02.

Long ago I was a member of more of a 'race club'. They had a GREAT main sponsor (club name was same as sponsor's) It was a pretty fancy Italian Restaurant that offered club members 1/2 off wine and free lower price 2nd meal. Club picture, which I took, was in the men's bathroom. Too many people abused this, so they had to quit the offer, club membership dove after that, then went defunct. They had monthly meetings where sanctioned rides/races were announced, races won by club members, and other news. They had a long and short sleeve jerseys but not pants.

On a century ride couple years ago I rode with a 'club' that seemed more recreational, about my speed, so I joined them. It was formed by a small group, which asked a seasoned rider to help show them how ride a pace line and other techniques. This seasoned rider had done RAMM and I think has some 'all american' title. This CLUB has public and private facebook pages, and a google groups group, that serves as a mail list, but no all member meetings.

{Sorry in advance for the following rant, this is an example how NOT to lead a bicycle ride}

Well many people have quit because of this guy. For instance, when the saturday no drop ride gets about 20 miles out of town and we stop at a convenience store, where the ride splinters to a couple routes including returns to town, he goes over what went wrong on the way up, often calling people out by name. Couple weeks ago on the way out of town, him leading, approaching a stop sign or light I almost clipped his wheel, I told the guy next to me. He turned around and lectured, then threatened me if I should actually do so. Following week I followed him again, over 8 - 10 stop signs/lights he only ONCE signaled. So at the convenience store I called him out on that, saying that is why I almost clipped you last week. He exploded, four letter words and such, and then rode off. On the no drop saturday rides, instead of being in the back helping/encouraging slower riders, he in front setting the pace (I know this because when he is not there the pace is at least 2 mph slower and more relaxed.) He alone also set a no talking about the tour rule during the TdF. The more I think back, the more I realize how much this guy doesn't know. I will admit he has his work cut out for him, as organizing this group is like herding cats. He has the group ride a two across pace line, but both pullers fall back together so there is 4 across then! He does bike fits for $100, but I hear many people complain he doesn't know what he is doing. He suggested I remove a link out my chain on a new bike, yet the problem was the 'B' screw on the rear derailed just needed adjustment. Not only that, I've never felt more unwelcomed by a group before, I had a BAD accident, (ribs, punctured lung, collar bone, softball size hemotoma on thigh) last summer, and NO ONE wrote or called, no card, or offer of help around the yard like mowing (except one friend, see later) yet they have sent cards to others for various reasons. When a friend, whom had already wrote off the group, went to a Saturday ride to announce about my accident, this guy cut him off. Two years ago I offered a pool party/pot luck with free beer at my house, and only 3 couples showed up. I think at least part of the problem is I don't have a brown nose and worship the road this guy rides on. The 'board' is elected by some unknown process, not by the members, and many board members do not make the Saturday rides. I suggested the club adapt by-laws so everybody knows the rules, they refuse. Nothing is done by a vote by the members or those that make the saturday rides, like date we change times to winter hours, but is made by the board (and again many of those don't make the rides). Best part is the group meets in my favorite LBS, and members get 10% off. Rides do start inside the LBS sponsor, and usually end at a star bucks or micro brewery. I've decided to leave the club, I don't think having two people at each other's throats would be a good atmosphere for rides and there are plenty of other groups in this town of greater 1/2 million. After my accident I did buy a club winter kit, it was still unopened, luckily the LBS owner bought it back saving me $200+.

Ever read "The Rules" by the Velominati? Rule #43 Don't be a jackass. and Rule #43 Don't be a jackass, But if you absolutely must be a jackass, be a funny jackass. Always remember, we're all brothers and sisters on the road.

Well this guy is not funny, nor even tries to be, at least I don't notice it.

Just my $0.25

Last edited by phillman5; 09-10-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 04:02 PM
Turner2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One way to deal with guys like that is for the group to just let them go. When they get to the front, which they often do, the whole group just sits up and refuses to play. It's not always easy because everyone had their own agenda and goals for the ride but if the guy is a problematic as it sounds you sometimes have to work together with group passive aggressiveness and change the rules.

It sounds like that would be near impossible with this group so just try and stay away from him. I stopped doing weekly scheduled group rides some years ago for far less than you describe. I've really come to enjoying riding alone or with a small group of good friends.
Old 09-15-19, 09:02 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I always thought that a club would be a nice idea, as it would make things a bit more democratic and might allow more people to get involved as ride leaders, route planners, and so forth.
The club I just quit is anything but democratic. One guy just about decides everything, including if we can talk about the TdF, and is the ride leader unless he is not there. I never saw anything put to a vote like start times and when we switch to winter hours, even though the club has a google groups e-mail list to get news out quickly and to gather thoughts.

The board is magically populated, usually one new person only after some one resigns. In the past many board members don't make any of the rides for months, one I never saw on a ride.
I made a route suggestion and it was flat out instantly put down. I submitted a page analysis of pros and cons for my 'way', vs. their 'way'. It was very one sided and I was trying to be fair about it. My idea was instead of always riding around Albuquerque 50 - 70 miles, it would be to ride the Rail Runner train from Albuquerque to Sante Fe and ride back through a very scenic back road, a 65 mile-er. Timing (train schedule), from our normal 'ride' time was perfect to ride down hill to the train station.

I had to get 'permission' from the board to have a pool party/pot luck at my house with me suppling the beer!

Last edited by phillman5; 09-15-19 at 09:08 PM.