Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Too much Trek

Old 10-31-19, 10:03 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
You people need help!!!! Oh wait......Sh.....t.....I am one of those people.
I don't think either of those bears are riding Treks!
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 10-31-19, 11:11 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Bears prefer Russian bikes...
Old 11-01-19, 06:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Not sure which thread:

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-19, 07:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
If he asked for my potato chips I would give them to him.
One of the worst things you could do. He'd eat the chips and then likely consider you a free vending machine.

A few decades ago a kid got his face and arm scratched by a bear in New Jersey. He was hiking with his dad. They saw a bear. Dad decided it would be a neat idea to toss the bear a bagel so it would hang around long enough for some photos. The thing scarfed down the bagel and came looking for more. Dad got fined $150 for feeding wildlife.

Yellowstone National Park has a lot of bears, but this is the most dangerous animal in the park in terms of deaths and injuries. (Took these while riding a non-Trek in the Black Hills of South Dakota).

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-01-19, 09:00 AM
bpcyclist

Our Fish and Wildlife people just had to euthanize a 2-3 year old black bear this past June at a popular recreation area called Hagg Lake. People were stupidly and irresponsibly feeding the little guy and taking selfies with him and he had become too comfortable around humans. At least, that was ODFW's story. Too bad. He was really cute. And potentially, quite dangerous, I'm sure. Especially if he didn't get his Big Mac.

cnn.com/2019/06/18/us/black-bear-euthanized-selfies-trnd/index.html
Old 11-01-19, 09:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Our Fish and Wildlife people just had to euthanize a 2-3 year old black bear this past June at a popular recreation area called Hagg Lake. People were stupidly and irresponsibly feeding the little guy and taking selfies with him and he had become too comfortable around humans.
I hate the use of that word in such a case. The bear was not killed to end its suffering.

A few years ago the ex of an old friend and former student of mine was killed, partially consumed and cached by a mother grizzly with two cubs while hiking in Yellowstone N.P. The NPS "euthanized" the mother and was planning to "euthanize" the cubs because of lack of care options. As far as anyone could tell, the mother was just doing what mother bears do: protecting its cubs when a human found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-01-19, 02:01 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Bear? Bears are sweet. Besides you ever see a bear with 40-foot feet?

Dragon? No scorch marks. Usually they're linked.

Manticore? Imaginary.

Griffin? Extinct.
Old 11-01-19, 03:11 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I hate the use of that word in such a case. The bear was not killed to end its suffering.

A few years ago the ex of an old friend and former student of mine was killed, partially consumed and cached by a mother grizzly with two cubs while hiking in Yellowstone N.P. The NPS "euthanized" the mother and was planning to "euthanize" the cubs because of lack of care options. As far as anyone could tell, the mother was just doing what mother bears do: protecting its cubs when a human found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I agree, although there is a part of one expert's definition that says that euthanasia has occurred when the "good of the motive for the action" (in this case, the ODFW killing the bear) "is, or at least includes, the avoidance of evil" ("The Definition of Euthanasia". Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. 48 (4): 637-653 [645]. With this definition, I suppose one could make the case that the bear's death potentially prevented an attack on a child or other human and that this would constitute prevention of "evil." That said, to me, this definition stretches credibility. Maybe the state should just call it what it was. They killed a bear.
Old 11-07-19, 06:14 PM
Madone305

Bikes: Madone SLR Disk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I'd say it's really just a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing. You grow up out in the country (at least in the US), you pick one and you stick with it. Chevy trucks haul more, Ford trucks have the best transmission, Dodge has CUMMINS!! Doesn't matter if it's true or not, you pick young and you never look back. You trash the others no matter how good they are. It's just how it is. With cycling, I think it's not quite as pronounced, but there is a LOT of brand loyalty going around, at least from what I've seen. I'm sure there is a large variety of bikes if you take into account the whole of Japan...but in the Yokohama/Tokyo area you see a crapton of Spesh, Scott, Look, Fuji, and Trek. See some Cannon, Giant, and Merida as well, but just not as much. Canyon on rare occasions and I think I've yet to see an Orbea on the road...though I'd love to. That was the bike I wanted, but so hard to figure out a way to get it here. Orbea Orca M20i LTD...mmm...would have been epic.
I agree completely. Blind brand loyalty goes a long way. My trucks are ford, my cars are german, all my tires are michelin, my teams are the dolphins and the hurricanes(both suck) and I ride Trek. I'm a simple man.
Likes For Madone305:
Old 11-07-19, 06:20 PM
Madone305

Bikes: Madone SLR Disk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Where do you live where you see S-WORKS, literally "everywhere" and there is a greater interest in pro cycling? Certainly not anywhere in the U.S.

What media and TV are you looking at where the big brands and pro teams are all "over the place"? Certainly not anywhere in the U.S.

I suspect you are focusing on a tiny slice of media devoted to cycling enthusiasts, and have a very narrow filtered view of the rest of the cycling world.
Miami is full of noob cyclists on $14k bikes. Lot's of S-works and Pinarellos out there. At least they're riding.
Likes For Madone305:
Old 11-07-19, 08:44 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Madone305
Miami is full of noob cyclists on $14k bikes. Lot's of S-works and Pinarellos out there. At least they're riding.
Hey, it's not far to South Beach--you gotta look good!!
Old 11-07-19, 09:00 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Madone305
Yea...why hate if they're riding? Good on them. Some people's pockets are deeper than others. This stands true in all areas of life.

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 11-07-19 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 09:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts

30 seconds earlier the bear was still in this track. I was coming out of my stand one evening and heading down the trail back to camp. I saw a dark shape ahead of me about 40 feet. Flicked on my headlamp and saw the eyes glowing back at me. Yeah, that's a bear. Rather than dig in my pack for a camera I thought the prudent thing to do was jack a round into the chamber of my rifle. We both assessed the situation for a minute until I yelled at him to "Get the F out of here". He thought about it for a few seconds and did just that. Thankfully he headed North at the "T" where I head South.Neither he nor I was on a Trek, but I do own one.
Old 12-13-19, 10:09 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I have ridden my Trek Marlin 6 for a few years . Still click shifts flawlessly. Hyd. brakes are great. Cleaning drive train often keeps it working for me.
Based ONLY on hearsay- I consider Trek one of the better bikes Giant factories currently produce.
Old 12-21-19, 09:31 PM
kq2dc7

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bought another one

I just bought my third trek bike. Great local bike store and have not had any problems.
Old 12-21-19, 10:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How 'bout Da Bears?

Old 12-22-19, 10:47 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Trek is Trek I guess. Functioning, lasting equipment without much spice.

I like more spice I guess.
Old 12-22-19, 11:57 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
At the time that I bought my Trek, it and a low-level Fuji were the only loaded-touring bikes which could be found in stores. Even then, I had to call a whole bunch of Trek dealers to find one that even stocked it (ended up driving 35 miles to get it). So the other companies have no one to blame but themselves. Imposing their industry-led trends on me. Screw-them. And screw all the manufacturers for making me buy fenders, dynamo hub, etc aftermarket. That right there shows that they are all truly anti-bicycle. All they care about is that you bought the bike, not that it will actually be used for transportation. Screw-them all.
Old 12-22-19, 01:23 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Nyah
At the time that I bought my Trek, it and a low-level Fuji were the only loaded-touring bikes which could be found in stores. Even then, I had to call a whole bunch of Trek dealers to find one that even stocked it (ended up driving 35 miles to get it). So the other companies have no one to blame but themselves. Imposing their industry-led trends on me. Screw-them. And screw all the manufacturers for making me buy fenders, dynamo hub, etc aftermarket. That right there shows that they are all truly anti-bicycle. All they care about is that you bought the bike, not that it will actually be used for transportation. Screw-them all.
You are mostly right with this thinking. Just look at MTB hub sizing and thru axles vs quick release bolts. Bicycles only a few years old can need new wheelsets due to lack of parts to fix this stuff. Tech changes too fast.
Old 12-22-19, 01:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
You are mostly right with this thinking. Just look at MTB hub sizing and thru axles vs quick release bolts. Bicycles only a few years old can need new wheelsets due to lack of parts to fix this stuff. Tech changes too fast.
You've picked two bad examples. Both changes are unquestionable improvements. You may not need them or care to pay for them but they are improvements nonetheless. Never heard of someone having to give up on a few year old bike because of parts. Doesn't sound very resourceful.
Old 12-22-19, 01:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
If all the accessories which you listed were included with the bike purchase the price of the bike would go up big time. You going to have to pay extra for accessories no matter if they are separate or installed on the bike during purchase...I don't like other people deciding what accessories I need on my bike, I prefer to choose them myself and install them myself.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-22-19, 08:45 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You've picked two bad examples. Both changes are unquestionable improvements. You may not need them or care to pay for them but they are improvements nonetheless. Never heard of someone having to give up on a few year old bike because of parts. Doesn't sound very resourceful.
Yes they are improvements but they may not be compatible with replacement parts if need be. Boost and Super boost with skewers or thru axles have caused some wheels to have to be replaced rather than fixed because proper parts to fix them were not available.

Saw a French bicycle recently with this issue.
Old 12-23-19, 06:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Try putting sriracha sauce on your Bontrager saddle.

This is still a troll thread.
Old 12-23-19, 07:40 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Try a Wallmart bike.
Old 12-25-19, 12:39 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by onyerleft
I don't know what you're talking about, so that makes two of us.
LBS has a two year old French bike that needs a thru axle but it’s not available anymore.

Industry is changing sizes on hubs,spokes, axles and parts far too quickly.
Likes For Rajflyboy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.