Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Recommendations for a new rig

Old 02-17-21, 02:08 PM
Gittus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendations for a new rig

Hi guys,

Just chasing some quick suggestions if you have any regarding a new rig.

Where I live I am quite limited on what is around in the adventure bike scene to buy but I have found a store than stock some Salsa Fargo’s + cutthroats, and various bombtracks (hooks, audax & beyonds) mainly.

Just wondering if you had any experience with any of these at all and could point me in any direction?

I am 27 and a roadie so very new to this game although I do plan on quitting my job as an electrician to spend a lot of time doing just that if I can find the right drop bar something that would suit both trails and road stretches.

I plan on doing some longer rides down the east coast of Australia, from the Gold Coast where I live to Melbourne then onto the ferry to Tasmania where I am from (roughly 2500ks) on the roads with a some trails thrown in for good measure to break up the monotonous tarmac.

Thanks heaps,

Ben.
Old 02-17-21, 02:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Maybe the touring part of this forum is a better place for your questions.
Old 02-17-21, 02:59 PM
Gittus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Maybe the touring part of this forum is a better place for your questions.
I put it to that forum also but just thought I would spread the net a little wider haha
Old 02-17-21, 03:14 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
touring

Racing bikes are light weight and short wheel base made to ride aggressively and only handle well when going fast...,thats what you dont want....touring bike......you need a really strong... long wheelbase bike thats is really stable and comfortable to ride.......choose the seat wisely....with strong 36 or 40 spoke wheels....wheels are very important.......its gotta have mounts for luggage racks and fenders and water bottles to carry your stuff....a triple sprocket up front if there are hills or mountains.....I heard that in Australia you have to have a bike that drives upside down
Old 02-20-21, 02:02 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Gittus
Hi guys,

Where I live I am quite limited on what is around in the adventure bike scene to buy but I have found a store than stock some Salsa Fargo’s + cutthroats, and various bombtracks (hooks, audax & beyonds) mainly.

Just wondering if you had any experience with any of these at all and could point me in any direction?

I am 27 and a roadie so very new to this game although I do plan on quitting my job as an electrician to spend a lot of time doing just that if I can find the right drop bar something that would suit both trails and road stretches.

I plan on doing some longer rides down the east coast of Australia, from the Gold Coast where I live to Melbourne then onto the ferry to Tasmania where I am from (roughly 2500ks) on the roads with a some trails thrown in for good measure to break up the monotonous tarmac.

Thanks heaps,

Ben.
You might want to look at bikes with "endurance" geometry. These frames strike a good balance between road use and light off-road / gravel use. With two wheelsets (one for road, the other for off-road / gravel) you end up with a bike that's great for both applications without much compromise.

There are some really good frame options in both carbon or titanium. One carbon option that I can recommend from personal experience is the Basso Palta. Best of luck in your search!
Old 02-25-21, 10:22 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I have never heard of the Bombtracks. But just checked their website out and I really like the steel Hook for its 700c wheels but if you can easily get 650b down there, try them both and see which model fits like your road bike. And get components that you feel comfortable maintaining.
Old 02-28-21, 09:19 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Gittus
Hi guys,

Thanks heaps,

Ben.
Salsa Fargo leans pretty far into the non-paved of things, the rougher stuff, with the tire width and 1x. It has fender mounts, 3x water bottle cages, works with 700c aka 29er and 650b. All pluses. Decent if you're more interested in the off-pavement side of things, and perhaps willing to sacrifice pavement performance.

Cutthroat is targeted for a little less rough surface, a little more speed than the Fargo. 2x instead of 1x is more road suited IMO. Somebody said Fargo is a Jeep, cutthroat is a Subaru Forrester.

Bombtrack audax looks similar to the Cutthroat to me. 650b though, which severely reduces tire availability. Mounts galore.

None of these are typical randonneuring bikes, since rando is historically pavement with occasional gravel.

Bombtrack hook is starting to look a bit more like a more balanced paved/path bike to me. I ride 90% pavement but like to take on the occasional dirt path, and I think this looks pretty great. This bike with two sets of wheels, one for pavement days and another for mixed/path days, seems pretty great.

The nice thing about all these bikes, IMO, is versatility. With tire and wheel choices, they cover a lot of range. To me the Fargo sacrifices too much on the pavement side.