Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I almost stepped on a snake.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I almost stepped on a snake.

Old 07-09-21, 01:50 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
OMG, what a cute little snake!
Yeah it slithered right on up to where we were. I took pictures for about 5 minutes slowly inching closer hoping to not scare it away. Eventually I got as close as seen here and it was perfect.

I wonder what it's doing now.
Old 07-09-21, 01:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine
I wonder what it's doing now.
May have gobbled the OP. He hasn't started a thread in three days....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-09-21, 02:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
You guys are too brave. After rolling over a snake on the MUP, I rode away as fast as I could.
Old 07-09-21, 02:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I am pretty sure I have rolled over a rattlesnake on some doubletrack in the dark in the rain, but it all happened so fast that neither of us knew what happened.

I wish I had gotten closer to the rattlesnake I posted above. The range of their strike is relatively small, no reason to take a picture from 20 feet away.
Old 07-09-21, 04:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
One time I was taking the one MUP I ever ride on (parellels a freeway I can't ride on), and I saw a rider on the opposite side, stopped. As I stopped across from him, I saw why - there was a 2 foot long snake, may have been a juvenile rattlesnake, stretched across the path. I pulled out my frame Zefal frame pump, flipped the lever out, pulled the plunger out to maximum extension, got the lever under the middle of the snake, lifted it and tossed it gently into the bushes.

Try THAT with a CO2 inflater!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-12-21, 12:01 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
While out mtn biking in Thailand I have come across a lot of snakes. They are almost always boas/pythons and usually it is later in the day. They come out to get the warmth on a paved road or crossing from one banana plantation to another. Most times we would come cruising around a corner in rural areas and before you have time to do anything you have rode right over the snake. I've only had a few snakes actually get inside my house in Bangkok. Only one was poisonous. Sure don't like it.
Old 07-12-21, 12:09 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Learn to pee from the saddle.
Likes For AlanO:
Old 07-12-21, 02:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I can do it, but I would end up with wet shorts.
Old 07-12-21, 06:54 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Snakes and Pee!

Originally Posted by AlanO
Nothing like a snake to help with that enlarged prostate..
Old 07-12-21, 08:52 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I encountered a snake once, during a fast descent.

At first I thought there was some kind of stick or branch on the road and avoided it. But I thought I caught some movement from the corner of my eye when I passed it, so I turned my head around to look and saw that the snake had reared its head. But since this was a long descent, I just kept going!
Old 07-12-21, 10:41 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanO
Alo makes a thread about something not bike related that he almost did, but didn’t, then disappears. AlanO shows up and brings the thread back on course by relating the non-cycling activity to an extracurricular bike maneuver. I smell something. It reeks of conspiracy. Certainly some sort of piracy. Ahoy, mateys.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 07-12-21, 10:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
...they'd fallen asleep basking in the warm sun...
I hadn't even considered that it might have been asleep when I encountered a rattler on the trail that didn't move when I approached on mountain bike. Usually they feel the vibration of 200lb coming at them at about 15 mph and leave nothing more than a squiggly line in the dirt by the time I get there, but this guy was being stubborn! So I had the brilliant idea to toss a rock a couple feet in front of it to spook it into the brush. My aim was so bad that I clocked the poor thing square on the head and that got it mad, rushing off the trail while rattling... and starting all the rest of its den in on the rattling! Just to make sure, can you see the pic if I post it this way?
Old 07-13-21, 01:33 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I hadn't even considered that it might have been asleep when I encountered a rattler on the trail that didn't move when I approached on mountain bike. Usually they feel the vibration of 200lb coming at them at about 15 mph and leave nothing more than a squiggly line in the dirt by the time I get there, but this guy was being stubborn! So I had the brilliant idea to toss a rock a couple feet in front of it to spook it into the brush. My aim was so bad that I clocked the poor thing square on the head and that got it mad, rushing off the trail while rattling... and starting all the rest of its den in on the rattling! Just to make sure, can you see the pic if I post it this way?
You threw a rock and hit it in the head? Yep, those PETA people will be paying you a visit.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 07-13-21, 02:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Alo makes a thread about something not bike related that he almost did, but didn’t, then disappears. AlanO shows up and brings the thread back on course by relating the non-cycling activity to an extracurricular bike maneuver. I smell something. It reeks of conspiracy. Certainly some sort of piracy. Ahoy, mateys.
Wonder is alloo will chime in.
Old 07-13-21, 03:07 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
You threw a rock and hit it in the head? Yep, those PETA people will be paying you a visit.
Just looked up the statute of limitations. I'm good
Old 07-13-21, 06:32 PM
AlbatrossWheeld

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 3 snake stories:

- One time my wife & I were traveling somewhere, think it was west Texas. We were going to go for a hike so we pulled our car into a remote parking area & sat there a few minutes getting things together, but when I opened the car door there was a semi-coiled snake 2-3 feet off my door, just laying there waiting to bite into my foot. Glad I looked down instead of just jumping out. Change of plans that day. Sometimes getting bitten is too inconvenient.

- In Western Australia we were going snorkeling in the Ningaloo area (pretty far northwest). I'd heard there were poisonous snakes in the area, but didn't know much about them. I had heard you should avoid getting too close to bushes where they sometimes lay under. On the way to the beach there was an old sign that said snakes are in the area so only walk on designated foot paths (better visibility). But sometimes I choose stupid so I chose to take the direct route thru the bush. I walked slowly, I looked for holes, I kept a wide berth around bushes, I asked myself why do I do this. Just as I made my way to the top of the sand dune that ran parallel to the beach I spotted snake tracks in the sand. Big tracks. Huge tracks. 8 inches wide (though I think the sand makes them look wider than they are), tons of tracks back and forth, some I could still see the detailed imprint from its skin. It was their highway, but I didn't see any. Wouldn't want to meet one so far from civilization.

- Maybe my most interesting encounter was when my wife & I were going to a beach on the Japanese island of Ishigaki, west of Okinawa. We parked our car, and just before getting on the beach was a big sign that showed pictures of the deadly creatures that can be found there throughout the year. I looked the sign over pretty well. Then we walked onto the beach and down to the waterline. We hadn't even reached the waterline yet when I look out & see something making a V pattern in the water...and it's heading directly toward us...it's not veering off...it's traveling pretty fast...what the hell is it? It's a snake. Cool, never seen one in the water before, except we're here to snorkel. Then I remembered seeing a snake on the watch out for board so I was looking intensely & filming with my phone. Then it dawned on me that at some point this thing is not turning away! It got to within 2-3 feet from the sand, we stepped back and then it made a turn to head back out to deeper water. I'm convinced it looked just like the one on the board. I suppose it saw us from far off & was curious. There were only two other people at the beach at the time, an Australian father and daughter snorkeling directly in the line the snake took after turning away from us. I yelled a warning out to them a couple times, but they ignored or didn't hear me. Finally concluded they're Australian, they grow up mindful of deadly creatures nearly every day so we watched them for a while to see if anything happened, then went snorkeling.
Old 07-13-21, 11:14 PM
PeeCee

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlbatrossWheeld
My 3 snake stories:

- One time my wife & I were traveling somewhere, think it was west Texas. We were going to go for a hike so we pulled our car into a remote parking area & sat there a few minutes getting things together, but when I opened the car door there was a semi-coiled snake 2-3 feet off my door, just laying there waiting to bite into my foot. Glad I looked down instead of just jumping out. Change of plans that day. Sometimes getting bitten is too inconvenient.

- In Western Australia we were going snorkeling in the Ningaloo area (pretty far northwest). I'd heard there were poisonous snakes in the area, but didn't know much about them. I had heard you should avoid getting too close to bushes where they sometimes lay under. On the way to the beach there was an old sign that said snakes are in the area so only walk on designated foot paths (better visibility). But sometimes I choose stupid so I chose to take the direct route thru the bush. I walked slowly, I looked for holes, I kept a wide berth around bushes, I asked myself why do I do this. Just as I made my way to the top of the sand dune that ran parallel to the beach I spotted snake tracks in the sand. Big tracks. Huge tracks. 8 inches wide (though I think the sand makes them look wider than they are), tons of tracks back and forth, some I could still see the detailed imprint from its skin. It was their highway, but I didn't see any. Wouldn't want to meet one so far from civilization.

- Maybe my most interesting encounter was when my wife & I were going to a beach on the Japanese island of Ishigaki, west of Okinawa. We parked our car, and just before getting on the beach was a big sign that showed pictures of the deadly creatures that can be found there throughout the year. I looked the sign over pretty well. Then we walked onto the beach and down to the waterline. We hadn't even reached the waterline yet when I look out & see something making a V pattern in the water...and it's heading directly toward us...it's not veering off...it's traveling pretty fast...what the hell is it? It's a snake. Cool, never seen one in the water before, except we're here to snorkel. Then I remembered seeing a snake on the watch out for board so I was looking intensely & filming with my phone. Then it dawned on me that at some point this thing is not turning away! It got to within 2-3 feet from the sand, we stepped back and then it made a turn to head back out to deeper water. I'm convinced it looked just like the one on the board. I suppose it saw us from far off & was curious. There were only two other people at the beach at the time, an Australian father and daughter snorkeling directly in the line the snake took after turning away from us. I yelled a warning out to them a couple times, but they ignored or didn't hear me. Finally concluded they're Australian, they grow up mindful of deadly creatures nearly every day so we watched them for a while to see if anything happened, then went snorkeling.
Not wrong there mate.
Here's a still taken from my Fly6 of a Dugite I had to bunny hop over as it came out of long grass right in front of me.
Luckily I was standing up on the pedals riding up hill which made it easier to hop over. It did strike at me but missed. They are poisonous and plentiful throughout Perth West Australia. This is the sixth time I have had to swerve or stop to miss these.
I have it recorded but am unable to upload a mp4 attachment.
Likes For PeeCee:
Old 07-14-21, 01:02 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I encounter a snake every time I take a nature break. I just wrangle it back in after I finish and go back to what I was doing before.
You mean a one-eyed ball python?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-14-21, 01:04 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
You threw a rock and hit it in the head? Yep, those PETA PITA people will be paying you a visit.
There, fixed that for you.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-14-21, 03:49 PM
AlbatrossWheeld

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! Sympathies to the Australians who hop over venomous snakes! Here we just have to avoid dogs & drunks, though one time I was riding in the country after midnight and came withing a few feet of running broad side into the side of a huge bull elk standing in the middle of the road wondering what I was. His back must have been 5-6 feet off the ground. Australian biker versus cassowary might make for an interesting video too. Don't see cyclist vs cassowary, but there's cyclists vs ostrich:

Old 07-14-21, 04:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I can do it, but I would end up with wet shorts.
You think you'd have a problem...
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-14-21, 04:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by AlbatrossWheeld
Wow! Sympathies to the Australians who hop over venomous snakes! Here we just have to avoid dogs & drunks, though one time I was riding in the country after midnight and came withing a few feet of running broad side into the side of a huge bull elk standing in the middle of the road wondering what I was. His back must have been 5-6 feet off the ground. Australian biker versus cassowary might make for an interesting video too. Don't see cyclist vs cassowary, but there's cyclists vs ostrich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI
At least he wasn't a wheel sucker.
Old 07-15-21, 07:13 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I have a joke that would fit right in with this topic - golf course, poisonous snake, nature break - but I don't think it would be allowed here.
"Doctor says you're gonna die."
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-15-21, 07:31 AM
Bowie Beattie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
omg i would literally die there
Old 07-15-21, 07:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I have a joke that would fit right in with this topic - golf course, poisonous snake, nature break - but I don't think it would be allowed here.
That joke has made the rounds with different characters, but the same punchline. I heard it many years ago as the Lone Ranger and Tonto with Tonto delivering the punchline.
Likes For seypat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.