Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Life is good when your bike is tuned up

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-21-21, 09:22 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I've been on a bit of a bicycle tune up tear. I've learned how to change cables, grip tape, use grease judiciously, use fiber grip, build and true wheels, adjust shifters, install and align derailleur hanger... basically the works.

The last few rides on my bike (including a long one today) I was just amazed at how nice the bike is riding and how much more enjoyable and quite it is.

life is good
Old 08-21-21, 10:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I've been on a bit of a bicycle tune up tear. I've learned how to change cables, grip tape, use grease judiciously, use fiber grip, build and true wheels, adjust shifters, install and align derailleur hanger... basically the works.

The last few rides on my bike (including a long one today) I was just amazed at how nice the bike is riding and how much more enjoyable and quite it is.

life is good
Ain't it great? A bike that's shifting well, with a quiet drivetrain, and that fits well just becomes part of you. You don't even have to think about it, you just ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-21-21, 10:14 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by genejockey
Ain't it great? A bike that's shifting well, with a quiet drivetrain, and that fits well just becomes part of you. You don't even have to think about it, you just ride.
I forgot to mention the fit. I had it fitted by the bike shop when I bought it and it made a tremendous difference

always get fitted if you can
Old 08-21-21, 10:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I forgot to mention the fit. I had it fitted by the bike shop when I bought it and it made a tremendous difference

always get fitted if you can
I have 8 bikes, and they all fit. But one FITS.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-22-21, 01:07 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Nice one. There's something very rewarding about being able to finely tune your own bikes.

Enjoy the ride! 😃
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 08-22-21, 02:03 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Indeed, a well tuned bike is one of my true joys. Yesterday, I had the first ride on my Orbea Avant since I finished an almost total rebuild a couple of days ago. A quiet bike is like music to my ears. It only took me 5 years, for the first time since I bought it new in 2016, my Avant is running spot on and doing it quietly. The final piece was replacing the FSA Omega crankset/bb86 PF with an almost new Tiagra 4650 and Shimano PF BB. I got in a 44 mile ride on the bike yesterday, it was the most enjoyable ride I have had on the bike, ever. I had a grin plastered to my face for the rest of the day.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-22-21, 05:57 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Yep, it's pretty sweet to make it all sing. Of course, that all comes crashing down the moment it starts making a noise you can't find.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-22-21, 06:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
You could say the silence of a well tuned bike is music to my ears!
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-22-21, 01:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Sweet! I still have to learn how to change cables, and to true wheels if I get truly ambitious like Symox .

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 08-22-21 at 07:34 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-22-21, 03:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You could say the silence of a well tuned bike is music to my ears!
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
And the sign flashed out its warning
I braked really hard and let out verbose scorning
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-22-21, 03:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

life is good
Agreed.

In the past 3 weeks i've replaced my tires when the wear dimples were worn away. Replaced my chain when the Park tool showed it worn past the .5 mark. Changed my cassette when after 28,000 miles it was skipping in the 4th cog (the one i ride in the most). Replaced my pedals after the carbon leaf spring snapped. Replaced my cleats when they were clicking in the new pedals. And replaced the heal pads on my shoes

It rides like a new bike.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-22-21, 04:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I spent an hour or so last evening on a 1982 Lotus Classique I'd gotten a month or so ago. It was in fantastic condition when I got it, basically ridden very little in it's 40 year life and stored inside all that time. I tore it down, and rebuilt it, but I was never really satisfied with it. The drivetrain was loud, the shifting was lousy - every gear required overshifting and backing off, and the jumps between the cogs on the 13-32 6-speed cassette were too big.

I wanted to give it a fair chance, so I went through it again. Tightened ONE spoke on the rear wheel that was causing brake rub. Tightened the cones on the rear hub as well. Re-centered the brakes, and adjusted the cable tension. Remembered I had a spare wheel with a 13-26 Uniglide cassette, AND I'd gotten a new SRAM 8-speed chain. So I put those two bits on, cutting the chain a little shorter to match the smaller largest cog. Adjusted the limit screws. The drivetrain is damn near silent now. The shifting is also almost silent and instantaneous, and no longer requires overshifting.

I took the bike out for a planned 30 miles that expanded into 45 because the bike just felt SO MUCH BETTER! It's my slowest bike, but it was a joy to ride! It's really amazing what a bit of care and attention can do.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-22-21, 07:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Nice one. There's something very rewarding about being able to finely tune your own bikes.
I would admit that I derive almost as much reward from tinkering as I do riding.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-22-21, 08:38 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I would admit that I derive almost as much reward from tinkering as I do riding.
Glad i'm not the only one

I was beginning to worry
Old 08-23-21, 02:17 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It's nice when you buy a new bike and finally get it perfectly tuned and have every tick and squeak and rattle tracked down and eliminated.
Old 08-23-21, 11:46 PM
Symox

more rides on tuned bike... more smiles
Old 08-24-21, 06:19 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I work on vintage Volkswagens as a hobby and when i'm asked "what is the best upgrade", i tell them to tune up the engine, grease the suspension and use the correct tire pressure.

Agreed, a well tuned machine brings more smiles.
Old 08-24-21, 08:14 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Same here. So much so that my neighbours have commented that spend just as much time riding my bike as I do standing on the driveway with the bike in the stand doing random maintenance.
Old 08-24-21, 12:55 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Same here. So much so that my neighbours have commented that spend just as much time riding my bike as I do standing on the driveway with the bike in the stand doing random maintenance.
Back in the day that might have made you the neighborhood bike mechanic, but nowadays kids just want more screen time.

OK, I am going to stop my middle age rant now.
Old 08-24-21, 01:22 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
so true! i had my chain, rotors, pads replaced, RD adjusted, etc. rode it directly out of the shop on a 40 miler, nabbed a bunch of PRs and put down more
power than i ever had for that duration. of course it’s mostly mental, but still. feels so good
Old 08-24-21, 03:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Back in the day that might have made you the neighborhood bike mechanic, but nowadays kids just want more screen time.

OK, I am going to stop my middle age rant now.
At least "kids these days" never leave the house, so we don't have to tell them to get off our lawns.

Old 08-28-21, 07:16 AM
SeattleRider57

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
No kidding! Just last weekend I replaced my tires, bumping from 25mm GP 5000's to 32mm GP 5000's and new tubes. Then I cleaned the chain, cassette, cog - looked much better. Finished it up with lubing the chain and it was just perfect! Rode 101 miles the next day for a charity event. It was shifting perfectly, and with the new tires, it was just ridiculously comfortable. I couldn't believe the difference. This is on a 2019 Trek Domane SL5.
Likes For SeattleRider57:
Old 09-05-21, 06:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Good to hear.
Old 09-05-21, 11:16 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
On top of the obvious benefits of a well-maintained bike... I get even more out of the act of maintenance itself. I find everything from fine-tuning a derailleur to installing new disk brake pads to scrubbing a dirty chain exceptionally therapeutic.
Likes For Greiselman:
Old 09-06-21, 07:34 AM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
When I got back into cycling about 7 years ago, I decided to learn tuning skills. I bought a Park stand and Park Advanced Bike Tool kit to get me started. It is very gratifying to be able to do your own work although adjusting a front derailleur on a triple crankset almost broke my spirit. It was a Scattante and is long since gone....

I now have a CAAD 13 with hydraulic disc brakes so I have a whole new set of skills to learn.
Likes For Digger6255: