Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is half wheeling dangerous?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is half wheeling dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 01:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Seems to me it is the people who respond to the "challenge" that are the problem. if one guy goes off the front and the fast guys follow to "keep the group together" and in fact tear the group apart ......

Fact is, a lot of riders simply lack the self-control to let another rider pull away. If they see someone going faster, they have to prove they can keep up. Otherwise, the instigator would simply go off the front, ride alone a while, and sheepishly slow and wait for the group.

It's all the guys (and it isn't always men, but ...) who Follow the fast guy who create the problem.
Successful half wheelers never go off the front. They just edge ahead a little bit at a time, and increase the speed of the group gradually. That's the beauty of it -- other riders don't always realize it's happening.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-01-21, 01:22 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Watching a Grand Tour puts the lie to that statement.
Larry isn't crashing in Grand Tours.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-01-21, 01:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Successful half wheelers never go off the front. They just edge ahead a little bit at a time, and increase the speed of the group gradually. That's the beauty of it -- other riders don't always realize it's happening.
Correct. Like the parable about cooking a frog.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-01-21, 01:45 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by datlas
Correct. Like the parable about cooking a frog.
Yep. I originally mentioned frog cooking, but I deleted it because I knew someone would just start arguing about frogs.
Old 09-01-21, 02:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Watching a Grand Tour puts the lie to that statement.
Nope. Go read some of his posts on his crashing habit. Grand tours simply don't happen enough for a grand tour rider to crash as much, but even if they were back-to-back all year 'round, the average tour rider would still crash with far less frequency.

​​​​
Old 09-01-21, 02:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Nope. Go read some of his posts on his crashing habit. Grand tours simply don't happen enough for a grand tour rider to crash as much, but even if they were back-to-back all year 'round, the average tour rider would still crash with far less frequency.

​​​​
If we use crashes per mile as the metric, I would bet a medium amount of money that Larry's number looks significantly different than even the most crashy World Tour rider.
Old 09-01-21, 03:10 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Yes it does .... because he will be on a long solo ride, and he wants to have other fast riders around to appreciate how fast he is. If he makes every ride a solo ride .... you have solved the problem of Mr. Shower-head being in the group ... he has solved it for you.
I'm not sure the folks who have quoted my comment understand what Solving A Problem means. Sure, if you re-define the problem as "Mr. (thing) Head is in the group, how do we get him out of the group?" then yes, of course, Letting Him Ride Off The Front gets him out of the group so problem solved. Duh.

But, as I offered -- and have been quoted twice now -- what if the problem is that "You have to teach Mr. (thing) Head how not to ride off the front"?
Letting Him Ride Off The Front does not solve this problem. It doesn't even address it.
Old 09-01-21, 03:16 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
But, as I offered -- and have been quoted twice now -- what if the problem is that "You have to teach Mr. (thing) Head how not to ride off the front"?
Letting Him Ride Off The Front does not solve this problem. It doesn't even address it.
I'd disagree. It's a gentle, but not terribly subtle lesson being taught.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-21, 03:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
If guy doesn't mind riding off the front, he likely has different goals that will make that lesson impossible to teach.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-01-21, 03:20 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Interesting. While I have not heard the term used in a while, people that I have ridden with have called overlapping wheels half-wheeling. I've learned something new today.
I didn't read 99% of this thread and have a feeling I have missed so much goodness. Really replying now just so it's marked and I come back but to agree with what you were responding to -

"Lapping" or "Over-lapping" = riding up into the envelope of the bike in front. Not "protecting your wheel".

Half-wheeling = the habit of riding side by side at the front and subtly increasing speed enough to always end up being slightly (about half a wheel's worth of distance) ahead of the rider riding beside.

Half-wheelers are demons in disguise. Do it to me and I will call it out. I will call it out again every 5 minutes when they forget and go back to doing it. I will eventually attack them and make them work. When I explode then they have to wait for me. One or the other.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-01-21, 03:24 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Also - half-wheelers are the same as:

"Man I haven't been riding much - can we just go slow today?" said before causing the group to set new records on every segment of the ride.

See also: "I don't feel great...", "I rode hard yesterday so I need to go easy today...", "My ____ has been acting up....", "It's a recovery week...", "I have an event coming up so I have to go easy..."

Old 09-01-21, 05:04 PM
tomato coupe

I'm not sure the folks who have quoted my comment understand what Solving A Problem means. Sure, if you re-define the problem as "Mr. (thing) Head is in the group, how do we get him out of the group?" then yes, of course, Letting Him Ride Off The Front gets him out of the group so problem solved. Duh.
Yo, dude, you're the one re-defining the problem. The rest of us know what the problem is -- a half wheeler gradually increases the speed of the group.

That's NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT the problem.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-02-21, 08:08 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

That's NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT the problem.
For some of us, it is. Hence this dialog [sic].
Old 09-02-21, 09:03 AM
tomato coupe

For some of us, it is. Hence this dialog [sic].
Great, then start a thread titled "How do I teach someone not to ride off the front of a group?" But, quit yammering on about it in this thread, because it has nothing to do with half wheeling.
Old 09-02-21, 09:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts

As has been said …. Let him ride off the front …. And let him learn that that is not what he really wants.

What he wants is to have the group ride faster. If the group refuses to ride faster, he will stop trying unsuccessfully to get the group to ride faster … or he will find a faster group.

You seem to understand that we are not talking about one ride, but breaking a habit. The guy does the same thing—half-wheeling, as you term it—and The Rest of the Group responds like Pavlovian hounds, taking the bait and speeding up The Group is the problem. The one shower-head rider didn’t force the peloton to accelerate at gunpoint---he played you all as fools, doing what you Claim you didn’t want to do.

He keep doing it because You keep doing it. It Works, so he does it.

To change the behavior, change Your behavior.

The guy does Not want to ride away … he wants the group to go faster. If You can learn that, you can start teaching the half-wheeler.

If, after every time he half-wheels, some guy (say, @Psimet2001) tells him to stop being a shower-head and get back in his place …. maybe he will learn. If not, let him ride away. He will realize his trick no longer works.

If the guy wants to ride half a wheel ahead … Why Not Let Him? Why not just ignore him?

One Last Time---He does it because of what You do. Don’t bother trying to train Mr. Shower-head. Train the rest of you to stop doing stuff and Blaming Mr. Shower-head. Unless he has a gun and is threatening to shoot you … they YOU are the real problem.

Man up, dude.
Old 09-02-21, 05:50 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Great, then start a thread titled "How do I teach someone not to ride off the front of a group?" But, quit yammering on about it in this thread, because it has nothing to do with half wheeling.
Incorrect

...again.
Old 09-02-21, 05:57 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

He does it because of what You do. Don’t bother trying to train Mr. Shower-head. Train the rest of you to stop doing stuff and Blaming Mr. Shower-head.
I think you and I are actually in agreement:

The "problem" with half-wheeling is not that "a half wheeler gradually increases the speed of the group" as another contributor to this thread tried to summarize it... rather, the "problem" with half-wheeling is that the rest of the group takes the bait and goes with him. iow, it's not his problem, it's everybody else's problem!

A sage and well-respected cyclist from my club once summed it up rather succinctly as "The guy who goes off the front isn't the idiot; the second wheel who chases him is."
Old 09-02-21, 06:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I think you and I are actually in agreement:
Well, then I need to change my position.

I Never agree .... ask anyone.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-02-21, 07:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
All of this seems wide of the point.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-02-21, 07:44 PM
tomato coupe

The "problem" with half-wheeling is not that "a half wheeler gradually increases the speed of the group" as another contributor to this thread tried to summarize it... rather, the "problem" with half-wheeling is that the rest of the group takes the bait and goes with him. iow, it's not his problem, it's everybody else's problem!
Even if you blame the other riders for "taking the bait", the result is the same; the speed of the group increases. The continually increasing speed is the problem, and it all starts with the half wheeler. I think everyone understands this but you.
Old 09-03-21, 08:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
So this is not half-wheeling, right?

On a similar note. How bout the riders who are behind you coming up all the way to the front when you have to stop at a red light?
Old 09-03-21, 09:54 AM
Maelochs

Even if you blame the other riders for "taking the bait", the result is the same; the speed of the group increases. The continually increasing speed is the problem, and it all starts with the half wheeler. I think everyone understands this but you.
Umm .... Just the opposite.

The half-wheeler is Not increasing the speed. He is just positioning himself 15 inches further ahead. It is the person pulling who increases speed, to close the gap. Then the rest of the line speeds up to close the gaps. The half-wheeler Then and Only Then increases speed---to match the puller. This causes everyone in the outside line to increase speed to close the gaps.

@Bob Ross has it right. The rest of the peloton is speeding up because the half-wheeler is goading them. You don't have to agree. Lots of people think the Moon landings were real.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-03-21, 09:57 AM
WhyFi

Umm .... Just the opposite.

The half-wheeler is Not increasing the speed. He is just positioning himself 15 inches further ahead.
How would you propose that they got 15" ahead without increasing their speed relative to the person beside them?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-03-21, 10:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
On a similar note. How bout the riders who are behind you coming up all the way to the front when you have to stop at a red light?
These ^^^ are the tactics of fat old guys who are trying to not get dropped.

Sincerely,
- Fat old guy
Old 09-03-21, 10:20 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Eric F
These ^^^ are the tactics of fat old guys who are trying to not get dropped.

Sincerely,
- Fat old guy
"If i can just slow them down a little bit when they take off from the stop by basically blocking them while I get up to speed I should be golden."

I resemble that remark.

Likes For Psimet2001:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.