Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Highway 92 between half moon bay and canada

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 11:08 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts

How sketchy is this road to ride on? do cyclists actually get hit? I haven’t seen many cyclists on it but it looks super rideable. Especially if coming from Canada. I’m trying to go for a swim and this is the most direct route, I could do some Kings/tunitas nonsense but I think I might be too tired to come back that way. I’m comfortable riding around cars, used to deliver food in the city for a living.

thanks
Old 05-08-21, 12:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that, at this very moment, 11 AM on a sunny Saturday in May, that 92 is a parking lot from Canada to the coast. Which means you can pass the cars, but from the light at 35 all the way to HMB, there's little to no shoulder. Sounds like 10 miles of sheer hell to me, but you do you.

BTW, the water temperature there is 54, so have fun swimming.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-08-21, 03:26 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
I just returned from a ride where we descended 92 eastbound down the hill from Skyline. There was a constant stream of cars as genejockey bets, I saw one cyclist climbing westbound. I’ll second his estimation that it would not be all that safe or fun, either direction, on the weekends. During the week there is surprisingly lots less traffic but I would still think twice about it. Last I rode 92 to HMB and back was over 30 years ago, just not worth it. Consider swimming at Coyote Point Beach instead?
Likes For 73StellaSX76:
Old 05-08-21, 08:48 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by 73StellaSX76
I just returned from a ride where we descended 92 eastbound down the hill from Skyline. There was a constant stream of cars as genejockey bets, I saw one cyclist climbing westbound. I’ll second his estimation that it would not be all that safe or fun, either direction, on the weekends. During the week there is surprisingly lots less traffic but I would still think twice about it. Last I rode 92 to HMB and back was over 30 years ago, just not worth it. Consider swimming at Coyote Point Beach instead?
Just looked that beach up, is it nice? There won’t be waves as it’s in the bay right? Kinda new to the area. I like bodysurfing in the rough surf that half moon bay provides. Really should learn to surf
Old 05-08-21, 09:25 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
I wouldn't ride Hwy 92, period. That;s a real bummer, and the available alternatives are not exactly convenient. I have a fairly high tolerance for cars and such, but there is too much traffic and too little road for my taste, especially going uphill.

FWIW, I'll ride down some roads that I would not ride up. Hwy 84 from Woodside to Skyline/Alice's Restaurant is one example. At descending speeds, I can take the lane and defend myself. On the uphills, I'm at the mercy of - wait for it - too many cars on the too little road. But Hwy 92 is one I don't even want to go down, on either side.YMMV.
Old 05-08-21, 09:35 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Just looked that beach up, is it nice? There won’t be waves as it’s in the bay right? Kinda new to the area. I like bodysurfing in the rough surf that half moon bay provides. Really should learn to surf
I’ve not swam there but it one of the few places at the bay I’ve seen others swim. That and the Foster City lagoons. Water will be warmer than the ocean but not as clear. If you are looking to body surf it will have to be the ocean.
Old 05-08-21, 09:59 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Coyote can be rough at times. I believe they kitesurf in that area too.
Old 05-09-21, 08:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I wouldn't ride Hwy 92, period. That;s a real bummer, and the available alternatives are not exactly convenient. I have a fairly high tolerance for cars and such, but there is too much traffic and too little road for my taste, especially going uphill.

FWIW, I'll ride down some roads that I would not ride up. Hwy 84 from Woodside to Skyline/Alice's Restaurant is one example. At descending speeds, I can take the lane and defend myself. On the uphills, I'm at the mercy of - wait for it - too many cars on the too little road. But Hwy 92 is one I don't even want to go down, on either side.YMMV.
I descended 92 from Skyline to Canada once.

Once.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-09-21, 08:45 PM
LarrySellerz

Im getting a track bike with narrow bars to cut through small gaps, should be perfect for that road on the weekend with slow traffic, provided im strong enough to get up the hill!
Old 05-10-21, 11:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, and the instability of narrow bars will come in handy on the descent.

Old 05-11-21, 05:59 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I descended 92 from Skyline to Canada once.

Once.
Me too. Did it once. no thanks on a repeat.
Old 05-11-21, 06:50 PM
Bosco13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
I've done it a number of times long ago. I wouldn't do it now, and especially on a weekend.
Old 05-12-21, 12:46 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I've descended 92 once from Skyline to Canada. The amount of cars, and limited shoulder means you are moving at pretty much the speed of the cars...which is crawling. There were some times that I was able to get on it and pass a few cars only to have to stop again when the shoulder narrowed too much.

It really sucked for the most part. That said, I will probably do it again as the stretch of Skyline from Kings Mountain Road to 92 was amazing to ride. There were few cars on that section of Skyline and its fast, smooth, and great sweeping corners.

But 92 still sucks for riding. Doesn't mean you can't do it though.
Old 05-17-21, 11:57 AM
sanmateoclimber

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
It really sucked for the most part. That said, I will probably do it again as the stretch of Skyline from Kings Mountain Road to 92 was amazing to ride. There were few cars on that section of Skyline and its fast, smooth, and great sweeping corners.
I'm kinda hesitant to add my two cents to a conversation like this because everyone's risk tolerance is different and no road is 100% safe or 100% dangerous. But for what it's worth I have gotten pretty comfortable riding the section of 92 from skyline to canada, and I think that as long as you hold the lane confidently, it's really not bad. I can generally keep up with the speed of the traffic until the last minute or so of the flat section at the end, and as long as you firmly hold the center of the lane there's really nothing drivers can do to put you in danger. Works for me, but your mileage may vary.

I personally wouldn't ride 92 West to HMB because in that scenario you WILL be passed by lots of cars at high speed on a narrow shoulder. Very different situation.

And shout out to the quote above; those last few sweeping S-curves on skyline coming down to the 92 intersection are dreamy. Great views of the ocean/coastal mountains to your left, great views of the city and the bay to your right.
Likes For sanmateoclimber: