Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter/Light Tourer with Rack - Steel or Aluminum Frame?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-14-21, 06:22 AM
willwebb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a new commuter. I carry a change of clothes, lunch, and a laptop. I have found that a rear rack with a "trunk" bag and a pannier work well for that gear. (Though, if I'm missing better options, please let me know!) I also intend to use the bike for longer credit card touring on rails-to-trails type terrain.

My question is whether I should be looking at a steel frame or an aluminum frame. For example, two bikes that caught my eye are the All-City Cosmic Stallion in steel and the Cannondale Topstone in alloy. I would only get the alloy if it is lighter and still strong enough to handle my expected rack setup.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Topstone 1 | Gravel Bikes | Cannondale

Cosmic Stallion GRX | All-City Cycles | All-City Cycles (allcitycycles.com)
Old 05-14-21, 08:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Should you get a steel or aluminum bike for commuting? Yes!

Frame material in a vacuum doesn't mean anything. Frame design and frame material together with fabrication make a bike. Aluminum may have a slight advantage since it doesn't rust, but my steel bikes have been doing fine for over 15 years in all (most) kinds of weather; I've had more problems with component oxidation.

Make sure it has mounting points for your rack(s).
Old 05-14-21, 10:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Since these are both gravel bikes, they are going to be stouter and therefore stiffer than a road bike from the same company.

Aluminum frames in the 80s-90s were super stiff despite being lighter and that was part of the appeal. But they were punishing with those skinny tires. Today there are frame features (bendy seat stays, blade chain stays for instance) and the bikes have bigger tires so it’s not that big a difference.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-14-21, 10:39 AM
willwebb

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. So, is it fair to say that I should buy the bike I like regardless of the frame material because they should be functionally comparable? By the way, I ignored carbon as being more for the race-minded gravel riders rather than commuters. I assume that's a safe assumption, but please let me know if carbon should be on the table.

Thanks again!
Old 05-14-21, 10:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by willwebb
Thanks for your replies. So, is it fair to say that I should buy the bike I like regardless of the frame material because they should be functionally comparable?
Thanks again!
Yes. Aluminum might be lighter, frame dependent. My steel tourer that I use for commuting when I need 2 panniers full of crap, weighs 32+ lbs easy with the rear rack, front h-bar bag and fenders. My Topstone (which I love and recommend) is 22 lbs without a rear rack or fenders. I think my Topstone is generally about 4-5 lbs lighter than my steel, BUT, my steel is a full blown touring bike with tubing that is heavy and stiff for that reason..
Old 05-15-21, 07:52 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
A lot of aluminum bikes are going to come with a carbon fork. Based on your stated uses above, it sounds like a gravel bike would fit the bill well.
Gearing may or may not be important to you. Living on a hill and using my bikes for touring - I want at least 1:1 which is about 26 gear inches.
Steel can be less expensive.
State bicycles has a couple of well-priced choices.
The Poseidon Redwood is an interesting choice.
Old 05-15-21, 09:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Kona Rove or Kona Sutra. They both have all the brazeons, for when you discover the joys of a front rack, and are designed to carry all your stuff. Even the Kona Dr. Dew would be good; like the Sutra, it comes with fenders (a huge plus to me) and can run rear and front racks. Sorry, I seem to have Kona brain today. There are a lot of good choices out there.
Old 08-17-21, 01:27 PM
joinacult

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Steel!
Old 08-18-21, 05:42 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Personally I prefer the ride of ALu and carbon, esp with the weight savings. I do some touring (but nothing expedition like). I do know the Cannondales have models without front rack mounts, so make sure the frames you choose have them.
In your under $3k price range, I would also look at the Priority 600 for the Pinion belt drive. It's great as a super low maintenance commuter/light tourer but is a bit of a beast at 39lbs.
If you're looking for a little more comfort, you may also want to look at the Specialized Diverge range. That future shock suspension is quite nice. The carbon frame could take 50lbs rear racks and 20lbs front racks. I tested it and would've bought that if it had a belt drive system.

Originally Posted by willwebb
I'm looking for a new commuter. I carry a change of clothes, lunch, and a laptop. I have found that a rear rack with a "trunk" bag and a pannier work well for that gear. (Though, if I'm missing better options, please let me know!) I also intend to use the bike for longer credit card touring on rails-to-trails type terrain.

My question is whether I should be looking at a steel frame or an aluminum frame. For example, two bikes that caught my eye are the All-City Cosmic Stallion in steel and the Cannondale Topstone in alloy. I would only get the alloy if it is lighter and still strong enough to handle my expected rack setup.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Old 08-23-21, 02:46 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I got lucky and got a deal years ago on an old (1984 model) Trek 720 touring bike. Steel bike, great ride. The components were trashed so I upgraded to an 8 speed Nexus red band hub rear wheel, minor adjustment to get the brakes to fit the 700 c wheels, instead of the 27 inch wheels it had originally.

Been a great ride for several years now commuting.
Likes For Bolo Grubb: