Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

BP meds after ACE and Calcium Channel blockers

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 01:38 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts

I have had high blood pressure since I was young. I always got the "you need to keep an eye on that" speech at the docs in my 20's. For about the last 20 or so years, I have tried a variety of BP meds and none of them have been consistently good at controlling it. Some worked for a while but it crept back up. I currently take 40mg of lisinopril, HCTZ and Amlodipine (can't recall dosage of those two right now) and still run about 140/85 ish. Last time I was at the doc he told me that if I can't get it down, he will need to try a different approach with the meds and that I may not like the side effects. Over the years my exercise and weight have fluctuated but no matter what, it stays high. When I trained for a half marathon-high blood pressure. When I trained to complete a century, high blood pressure. I am assuming that the next level drug is a beta blocker. Are there other classes of drugs that I should know about? I don't plan to deviate from what my doc prescribes but I find that if I can look things up and learn about them, it helps me deal with things better. So, what else is out there? Is my assumption about beta blockers correct or might be recommend a different kind of drug? Thanks.
Old 09-01-21, 03:03 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
I tried a beta blocker. It limited my training. I just couldn't get up to speed.

I take the generic form of Norvasc. No idea if it would work for you. My Doc started trying to find me a better one, and one of them nearly killed me, so he stopped.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-21, 10:10 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
If you've never tried it, then as an experiment (and with medical supervision given your history), take a 3 week experience on the zero carbohydrate diet. In my experience, at about days 7-10, BP drops an keeps dropping. The medical supervision is necessary if you do it because the drugs currently taken could then lead to really low BP, if the zero carb chemistry has the typical BP-lowering effect for you. I don't know many people that sustain the zero-carb lifestyle, but you might find the few weeks without a worthy experiment in terms of leverage on the high BP.
Old 09-05-21, 03:17 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Wilbur Bud made a good suggestion. I got rid of the high carb diet and noticed a slight drop in BP. Just this past month I have cut down on the meat consumed and increased veggies, another small drop in BP. Overall it tells me that I am headed in the right direction. I will never be able to rid myself of the BP meds completely as the trouble comes from my mother's side of the family, but I feel better knowing that I am actively participating in the process of lowering my BP.
Old 09-07-21, 01:53 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
140 over 85 doesn't sound that bad. I remember reading that the British aren't concerned until one gets to 150 over 90. My doc would tell me to lose ten pounds and call it good.
Old 09-11-21, 07:36 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Have you tried Beet Powder? I wouldn't fret too much 140/80

gm