Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New e bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

New e bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-21, 07:34 PM
Squire93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
New e bike

I am going to purchase an e bike in the next few months. I am thinking of buying an Amcheer 750 watt 10.5 ahr. Does anyone have any information on this bike? Or perhaps you could suggest another model for a new e biker.
Old 08-09-21, 08:56 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Ancheer doesn't have a great reputation among many e-bikers, but there are good reports on Amazon where last time I looked , the first 10 bikes were all rated 4+ of 5 stars. There isn't much in their price range although the new Lectric Cycle at $899 or so seems nicely positioned for a 28 mph bike.
Old 08-10-21, 07:11 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
People get a little 'shocked' by the price tag of ebikes. Save a little longer..
Likes For late:
Old 08-10-21, 07:34 AM
Squire93

Thanks for the input. I will check out the cycle you mentioned.
Old 08-10-21, 07:34 AM
Squire93

Thank you for the input.
Old 08-10-21, 10:35 AM
Ohiopicker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I agree regarding saving for a slightly more expensive ride, particularly if you are a newbie and or not familiar with bike maintenance. Some of the lower priced e-bikes are just standard bicycles with motors slapped on. Better e-bikes are engineered as such and will be more durable, road worthy, and safer. In the end they will be a better value.
Likes For Ohiopicker:
Old 08-10-21, 11:18 AM
Squire93

Thanks for the input. Do you have any suggestions as to which bike may be good for starting out?
Old 08-10-21, 12:48 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
It's difficult to make a decent suggestion when there are no parameters given.

What is your budget?

What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

Any physical limitation to bike fit or operation?

Bicycle operating terrain, traffic pattern, skill level?

Storage (when bike is not in use) is limited?

Transporting this e-bike to your ride starting point or just ride it from your residence?

Long term cycling goals? replace car? physically fit to ride everyday for good distance?

All these answers can help determine better suggestion to an e-bike that suit you.
Old 08-10-21, 12:52 PM
sterlingsam

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A good value for the money. Not a lot of ebikes out there at this price point.
Old 08-10-21, 01:07 PM
Squire93

[QUOTE=cat0020;22178912]It's difficult to make a decent suggestion when there are no parameters given.

What is your budget? I would like to stay under 1800 dollars

What kind of riding do you plan on doing? I ride mostly on paved roads. I do a little on dirt roads but some.

Any physical limitation to bike fit or operation? No physical limitations

Bicycle operating terrain, traffic pattern, skill level? I live in the Appalachian mountains so I have allot of up hill rides. Which is why I want the e bike. I have been riding a bike for along time. My favorite ride is around 11 miles long and take me through the state game lands. Light traffic at most I try to stay on side roads where possible.

Storage (when bike is not in use) is limited? I keep the bike in my basement which is heated in the winter

Transporting this e-bike to your ride starting point or just ride it from your residence? I ride from my residence. I live in a very small town.

Long term cycling goals? replace car? physically fit to ride everyday for good distance? Long term goal is to ride for fitness and peace of mind. I would like to spend at least an hour a day riding whenever possible.

All these answers can help determine better suggestion to an e-bike that suit you. I really appreciate you taking the time with these questions. They are making me take a better look at what my goals are and helping me to determine what kind of ride I am looking for. Thank you again.
Old 08-10-21, 03:40 PM
2old

OP: try to read about e-technology while you're deciding (the tutorials at ebikesca are excellent). You may need a mid-drive depending on the steepness of your hills.
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-10-21, 05:46 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Likely difficult to find decent mid-drive e-bike with $1800 budget.

Mostly paved roads ride so you don't need fat/knobby tires, "dirt roads" covers a lot of ground; hardpack, sandy, muddy. singletrack, etc..

Can you easily lift a 60-70 lb. e-bike into your basement or car if need to? That can be the physical limitation to determine which e-bike to choose.

10 to 20 miles per ride range (1-2 hour per day) likely you don't need huge battery capacity, which may allow less expensive and lighter e-bike.

Decent website to check out different e-bikes: https://electrek.co/guides/ebikes/
Likes For cat0020:
Old 08-10-21, 05:48 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Appalachia anywhere has some very steep grades. A hub motor is better than nothing but you may not make the steeper climbs.

You need to check the local regs on game lands if it's Pa. I think you can only ride on game lands where automobiles are allowed and I think there may be some where autos allowed but e bikes are not. Game lands are the most restrictive terrain there is. A couple years ago I wanted to ride my e bike on a paved rail trail the went through game lands. It was legal on the paved rail trail everywhere but the game lands. People for Bikes had a good summary on e bike laws.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 08-10-21, 06:11 PM
2old

One last consideration if you're not afraid of projects is a DIY bike with mid-drive. The BBS02 below was about $800 plus the bike ($1,000 now) and has been ridden off road for six years about twice a week and 10 - 15 miles per ride in hilly terrain. It has never had any maintenance although the internal gears probably should be cleaned and re-greased occasionally. I left well enough alone. Look at YouTube for installation instructions, and ask here if you decide to go that route.
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-11-21, 07:52 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Here's a decent article:

https://electrek.co/2021/06/02/the-a...r-summer-2021/

With supply chain issues, it might be long wait time to find one of these e-bikes in stock, but might be worth a try.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 08-11-21, 11:46 AM
Squire93

Thanks again for the link. I think I am going to try to find a commuter bike The places I ride are mostly paved and if they are dirt roads they are well packed down and are maintained by the borough or township they are located. The "Mountain" road is where I really like to ride. I used to ride my 10 speed around there in my 20's and 30's. I made it up the first hill which is about a mile long upgrade last fall but I did not want to go any further. So with the ebike I will be able to ride the entire loop which is about 11 miles. I have seen deer foxes and even a bear while riding the mountain. It is a very good place to get back your "mental health" as well as physical health as I will ride with pedal assist the entire ride. Once again I really appreciate all the help you gave.
Old 08-11-21, 11:48 AM
Squire93

That is a great looking ride. I just may try that for a "winter" project. Thank you.
Old 08-11-21, 03:28 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
I've been bombing my RAD Mission around a few months, nice reliable/durable no-fuss e bike. I like to do 5-10 miles after work on it.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 08-11-21, 04:43 PM
Squire93

Looks like a great bike. I will have to check it out. Thanks
Old 08-12-21, 05:53 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Simple, reliable e-bike like Rad Mission are great for mostly on-pavement, mild off-pavement (hardpack) operation.
They are less expensive, easy to operate and repair when issues occur.
The drawback is when elevation changes require more than the motor/battery can provide.
Having gears would help, but likely complicates the operation & maintenance, striking a balance is key to find a e-bike that would be suitable for your specific needs.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 08-12-21, 08:17 AM
Squire93

Once again I want to thank you for all your information and taking the time to help me take a look at what type of bike I want to start out with. You have given me some great questions that make me take a better look at what I want in a bike rather than just look at a price or style. I hope we can continue to converse on this forum in the future. Have a great one.
Likes For Squire93:
Old 08-12-21, 10:08 AM
2old

As you can perceive, there's no lack of advice here, and even though we have different "requirements", have discovered what works for our environments. Some with similar success haven't even posted yet, so you may receive even more "histories".
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-12-21, 10:20 AM
Squire93

I can see there is allot of experience here and the people are willing to share. I appreciate all the help and advice given here and hope to remain part of this online community for along time.
Likes For Squire93:
Old 08-12-21, 06:14 PM
Squire93

Got the first ebike

Took a ride at sunrise today on my 10 speed Free Spirit (10 dollar bike I bought 2 years ago.) Stopped in the local Dollar General store and mentioned I went for a ride and that I was looking for an ebike. The manager said she saw one for sale in the local paper. The person who was selling it was a house I pass by everyday on the last leg of my morning ride. I decided to stop over. Well for the first time I did see life at this residence. I asked if he had a ebike for sell and he did. I walked into his garage and there were 6 ebikes in various states. Seems this individual is a retired electronics person and he had a bike for sale. It was a Camping Mountain bike. He had placed a 48 volt battery on it and a 1500 watt motor. The AH worked out to around 22. I said I was interested and he let me take it for a ride. FANTASTIC. This bike has a motorcycle throttle and 3 speeds. I probably can hit 35 mph on the level but the big thing was the mountain. I took a beautiful ride around the mountain (11 Miles) and never broke a sweat. It was 90 and humid here today. Took in the scenery in the quiet mode only a biker can know. Anyway my first bike is a monster. The power, speed and endurance are remarkable and well within my "wish list." I want to thank all of you who offered your experience and advice to a new person on this site. Your assistance was greatly appreciated. I hope that I can continue to correspond with you all in the future as I am sure this new freedom will bring joy that I cannot even yet begin to imagine. It has been 12 hours and 20 miles of ebike riding. FANTASTIC.
Likes For Squire93:
Old 08-12-21, 08:58 PM
2old

Glad to hear; keep us updated on your experience.
Likes For 2old:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.