Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Light aluminum step-through frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-25-21, 08:54 AM
bolino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!​​​
I'm looking for a a lightweight aluminium step-through/open frame. Any advice on which one and where to find step-through frames online?

ps: I'm new here and not sure this is the right discussion. Please let me know the right one otherwise.
Old 10-25-21, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Just the frame? Used or new?

Usually step-thru frames are on low dollar bicycles and are not generally in high demand. At least based on all the conversation I've heard and seen and imagined in my deliriums.

If it is only the frame you want, and you want new, then look at all the mfr's that offer step-thru bikes and see if they sell the frame only. Otherwise I think you'll have to exhaust all the used sources and probably buy an entire bike then strip and build it to your desires.

I have seen a few step-thru bicycles being ridden around here that looked nice and well suited to the use their owners were using them for. But these were already built bicycles. I think these in particular were from Specialized or maybe Trek.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-25-21 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-25-21, 09:57 AM
bolino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Just the frame. Used or new.
Old 10-25-21, 10:00 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Oops OP wants just a frame.

Assuming a whole bike with step-through frame & Flat bars.... Try These

Barry
Old 10-25-21, 10:08 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
This is something I’ve been thinking of getting for my wife one day. I have enough parts and if there is something I need I’ll track it down.

I may have to buy a complete bike and strip it down, but the frame is still what is important.

John
Old 10-25-21, 11:11 AM
bolino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Trek District 1/2/3/4 step-through and Specialized Sirrus 3. Also looked at Sixthreezero Evryjourney but the frame/riding position is not my style.
Anyway, still looking for frames only, if somebody knows about where to find that!
Old 10-25-21, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by bolino
I like Trek District 1/2/3/4 step-through and Specialized Sirrus 3. Also looked at Sixthreezero Evryjourney but the frame/riding position is not my style.
Anyway, still looking for frames only, if somebody knows about where to find that!
Well what's your style? No point in us recommending anything just to have them shot down for not being your style.
Old 10-25-21, 11:41 PM
bolino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well what's your style? No point in us recommending anything just to have them shot down for not being your style.
Do you know any website where I can buy aluminum step-through frames, whatever the style?
Old 10-26-21, 12:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
From the specs I've seen, aluminum, step-through and lightweight don't go together. There's a lot of stress on the bottom bracket and even step-through aluminum frame folding bikes tend to be fairly heavy considering the overall size.

But a folder might get close to lightweight, if you don't mind smaller wheels. The Tern Castro was pretty interesting, with 24" wheels, not quite as small as most folders.

You're more likely to find a good deal on a good used steel mixte frame.

Several years ago when I was still recovering from back and neck injuries with limited hip mobility, I checked several fairly recent model bikes with aluminum frames and mixte or step through designs. The frame tubing was quite large in diameter and heavy. I didn't find any built-up bikes that weighed less than 30-35 lbs, some much more. Those bikes were mostly built for regions with flatter terrain where a 35-50 lb bike was still manageable even for older riders or those with limited mobility -- as long as lifting the bike wasn't a priority.

But in the 1970s-80s several makers offered mixte versions of their popular entry to mid level frames. Most were high tensile steel, a few seemed to combine chromoly top and downtubes with hi-ten forks and rear clusters. Those weighed right about 30 lbs and could be built lighter with careful selection of components. Mixtes aren't step through, but do have sloping top tubes to make it a bit easier to climb on and off.
Old 10-26-21, 12:58 AM
bolino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting, thank you @canklecat! For whatever reason I love aluminum, so it's also a matter of feeling.
Old 10-26-21, 07:10 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

Not aluminum, but step thru and light.
Old 10-26-21, 08:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

It's easy to find frames that are not specifically step through frames both new and used. However step through frames are apparently a very niche market.

If you want new, I can only suggest you find the style of step through frame you want on a bike already made and then find out if the manufacturer offers that as a frame only option. You might find a new frame offered by one of the sellers on Ali Express. For used frames, eBay, craigslist, facebook marketplace and others. And for used, an entire bike at the right price might be worth stripping and re-building.

But again, what's your style? eBay has plenty of used step through frames. Many for way more than I'd ever pay for a frame. Few if any I saw were aluminum.
Old 10-26-21, 09:06 AM
bolino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flatforkcrown nice, thanks! I don't live in the US (in Japan), but may I ask on which app/website did you find that, so I can look on a regular basis? I guess I can find aluminum ones at some point.

Iride01 Yes, it seems pretty niche indeed! That's why I was so unsuccessful until now I guess, and asking for some help here. Will have a look on Ali Express, eBay, facebook marketplace, thanks! About the style, since it seems so niche, I thought I shouldn't limit to a style before finding some. And I'm not even sure I have "a style"...
Old 10-26-21, 09:35 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by bolino
Flatforkcrown nice, thanks! I don't live in the US (in Japan), but may I ask on which app/website did you find that, so I can look on a regular basis? I guess I can find aluminum ones at some point.

Iride01 Yes, it seems pretty niche indeed! That's why I was so unsuccessful until now I guess, and asking for some help here. Will have a look on Ali Express, eBay, facebook marketplace, thanks! About the style, since it seems so niche, I thought I shouldn't limit to a style before finding some. And I'm not even sure I have "a style"...
I found that on eBay.
Old 10-26-21, 09:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well style can be either the looks and design of the frame for aesthetics or for it's intended use.

The more outside of just leisurely riding on smooth paved roads you get, the less step-thru even the frames called step-thru become.
Old 10-28-21, 04:09 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
Rivendell makes step-through steel frames - two models, I believe. My brother snagged the last 2021 Clem Smith Jr., one of the step-through models.
Old 10-28-21, 05:29 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
The Bianchi Milano/Torino Dama are pretty light, but still only a pound or two lighter than a decent steel mixte or step through. And not available as just a frame.

Without knowing what sort of bike you want to build up, this is all guesses.
Old 10-28-21, 06:13 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My sister bought a Momentum Vida low step complete bike and I think it has a lot going for it. I know it’s a complete bike but thought I’d share it. She does rides on paved surfaces near her houses for an hour plus and really likes it. I might look at getting my wife one.

https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/vida-low-step
Old 10-28-21, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
My sister bought a Momentum Vida low step complete bike and I think it has a lot going for it. I know it’s a complete bike but thought I’d share it. She does rides on paved surfaces near her houses for an hour plus and really likes it. I might look at getting my wife one.

https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/vida-low-step
The only weight estimate I could Google for the Momentum Vida Low-Step is about 46 lbs. Does that sound about right?

That's pretty much what I'd have guessed for a step through frame sturdy enough to withstand the pressure on a bottom bracket with that geometry, although maybe a bit heavier than I'd have estimated. Most of them seem to use massive ovalized downtubes, and comparably oversized seat and chain stays, to ensure adequate stiffness and fatique resistance with aluminum.

That's why I'm betting the best way to get a relatively lightweight step through aluminum frame is with a folding bike. If I'm recalling correctly from browsing folder catalogs around 2015 or '16, there were step through folders weighing around 30+ lbs complete with wheels, etc.
Old 10-29-21, 01:37 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
Don't Laugh. Here is an example of an excellent 21 inch (53.34 cm) STEP THROUGH FRAME. Yeah, it is an electroforged Schwinn of course.
THIS ONE IS FROM THE LARGEST SIZE (21") SUBURBAN, and as you know the Suburban featured the Tubular front fork of the Continental.
(trading old stuff on EBAY who parts out schwinns has a great reputation, I've purchased items from him)
Anyway, it is just frame with the fork......No Kickstand, No crank, No Stem, No Seatpost, No Headbadge.....you do get the Chainguard..
You wouldn't care about the kickstand, as you'll save 2 pounds there, and you'd install a lightweight 3 piece bb set-up that adapts to the ONE PIECE's Housing.
No Joke, you won't find a more solid and stable STEP THROUGH frame than this SUBURBAN schwinn's. You could probably find one in your neighborhood for the same price or less, but heck for ~ $50 total shipped to your door, ah ya can't really beat that, and it is already stripped down of the stuff that you wouldn't want anyway.
WALD sells New 13/16" diameter seat posts in several lengths with the modern 7/8 top mount. You can get a Schwinn Seatpost clamp that is nice for less than $5.
The ALLOY (S) stem from a seventies era CONTINENTAL is lighter than the forged Steel traditional stem seen on Seventies era Varsity, Suburban & Collegiate etc.

'72 Suburban (JH serial indicates Sept 1972) Green 21" bare full frame including the tubular front fork(Suburbans & Continentals had this fork which is much lighter than the Ashtabula Forged steel Blade Fork on VARSITY/COLLEGIATE/BREEZE...etc and many many others)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313662097423

I just don't think that you are going to gain much IF ANYTHING with most other aluminum or steel STEP THROUGH or MIXTE frames. Yes, you might save a couple of pounds in FRAME weight, but I contend that the SCHWINN frame is better by far all of them except perhaps some mixte frames which will be as solid and stable as the old Schwinn electroforged Step through. The great benefit is the strength and size of the (21) frame for a good size adult male. Compareably it is both longer wheelbase and larger than similar modern sized equivalents. The frame geometry is such that it is very stable and the angle of the seat-tube lends itself more to accomodating taller and larger Male adults if needed. THE GREAT NEWS IS THAT SCHWINN made a (19) step-through frame that also is comepareably larger and longer wheelbased than similar modern sized equivalents. Schwinn also made a small (17) step through version also.
I certainly would consider that as a possibility. Just obtain a SCHWINN bare frame, or if you find a free complete bike, etc.....STRIP IT DOWN SO IT IS JUST THE BARE FRAME, NO KICKSTAND, USE LIGHTWEIGHT 3 PIECE MODERN CRANK SET-UP, USE VERY LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM 700C (622mm wheels) with perhaps 700C x 35mm tires......... You certainly want to INSTALL modern sidepull calipers IF YOU DON'T care for the old vintage WEINMANNS.
I would also while the frame is bare, I would prep and paint it a color of my own choosing......or have it powder coated assuming that color was a possibility. Heck, you don't need to let anyone know the frame came from a Schwinn if you don't want to. Anyway it is just a thought. I do think that if you judiciously select wheels and parts that you can easily get your final finished project weight below 30 pounds. Yes, perhaps that still sounds incredibly heavy to you, but practically speaking that is light enough to do everything you'd want to do, unless you race in Sprint triathlons or aim to maintain a 20mph average ride pace with the "A" group from the Local Bike Shop. Short of that, assuming you gear the bicycle decetly, and wide ranging enough, you'd have no issues going coast to coast and back with that step-through frame.
Yeah, step through frames & mixte frames can be a P.I.T.A. to mount on typical exterior rear car racks, without a specialty adaptor bar to aid & allow mounting.
Old 11-05-21, 12:45 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The only weight estimate I could Google for the Momentum Vida Low-Step is about 46 lbs. Does that sound about right?

That's pretty much what I'd have guessed for a step through frame sturdy enough to withstand the pressure on a bottom bracket with that geometry, although maybe a bit heavier than I'd have estimated. Most of them seem to use massive ovalized downtubes, and comparably oversized seat and chain stays, to ensure adequate stiffness and fatique resistance with aluminum.

That's why I'm betting the best way to get a relatively lightweight step through aluminum frame is with a folding bike. If I'm recalling correctly from browsing folder catalogs around 2015 or '16, there were step through folders weighing around 30+ lbs complete with wheels, etc.
I’ll see if I can weigh it some time. It felt a lot lighter than that when I picked it up.
Old 11-05-21, 05:33 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts

Rivendell Clem Smith Jr. step-through frame

Although steel, my brother's new Clem Smith Jr frame, built up as shown, weighs 32.2 lbs. in total. And it's huge.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 11-06-21, 06:46 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Steel mixte frameset from
www.somafab.com

The Buena Vista is available in rim or disk brake version ~$600.
Old 11-06-21, 06:57 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Vintage Austro-Daimler Michelle

Size Large
Old 11-07-21, 04:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I'm just guessing, but you might be better off, just getting a complete bike and throwing away all the componentry/fork if you really want to. Eg.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/rover2.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.