Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Zwift survey

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Zwift survey

Old 01-10-22, 12:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't think there's anyone who prefers riding Zwift to riding outdoors. However, many of us much prefer Zwift to watching non-interactive videos. It's also a way that many of us were able to continue to ride with our friends and teammates. When all the races and group rides shut down, my teammates organized a weekly Zwift team ride where we would ride together virtually and we could communicate over Discord. We were all on our trainers in our own houses/garages but it was like we were riding together on the streets of London. Complete with ragging each other and shooting the shiz. Those are shared experiences with real people.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-10-22, 01:13 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
As we get older indoor riding on platforms like Zwift or Rouvy. Keep us in shape. I can not get out and ride for 2 to 3 hours at a time anymore. As my wife’s health doesn’t allow it. So being able to go into my office and jump on my Kickr bike for an hour and a half ride makes more sense. Time changes one’s perspective. While love to ride outdoors. I am riding indoors abs getting in my miles. I ride more miles than friends who ride outdoors alone. As I do it everyday day I and day out.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 01-10-22, 05:05 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My daughter is a “Data Analyst” in a media or marketing firm (I get confused) in Manhattan. Needless to say, I can’t believe she gets paid to do her “job”. As much as I can gather, it is becoming less R&D, manufacture, wholesale, and then retail. Sure there is money to refine products, manufacturing is pennies, less wholesale, loads of dollars in marketing and influencing, and then Amazon. I generalize but, I can’t go to Sears anymore to buy popcorn next to the escalator, nor was Sears ever proactive at getting my daughter to shop there. While Amazon & Google have cookies to learn more about me than I care to know. And now they provide bundled services, hey Alex play “Chariots of Fire” and “fan on” while riding Zwift. So, less about the device more about connecting for a recurring monthly service, aka Prime.

That is why I vote for a Wahoo, Alexa activated, kicker popcorn maker, Pain Cave model. Needless to say with a flavor of the month subscription.🍿 Thank for reading to the end.
Old 01-10-22, 10:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Did a 1 hour meetup ride tonight with some old friends and new teammates. Joking, catching up, talking about the upcoming season, good natured ribbing. One nice thing is that you can set up a rubber band effect that keeps the group together so no one gets dropped. Or rides off the front.

Just a bunch of guys on their trainers in their own garages, riding together through the Japanese countryside. Truly we live in the age of wonders.

Last edited by caloso; 01-10-22 at 11:09 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-11-22, 08:13 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Did a 1 hour meetup ride tonight with some old friends and new teammates. Joking, catching up, talking about the upcoming season, good natured ribbing. One nice thing is that you can set up a rubber band effect that keeps the group together so no one gets dropped. Or rides off the front.

Just a bunch of guys on their trainers in their own garages, riding together through the Japanese countryside. Truly we live in the age of wonders.

Your format is the same as our Tuesday Night RAVE (Relaxed And Very Easy) rides. At first, the rubber banding effect was frustrating to some of the A and B pace riders who expected to race each other through the route (thanks for pulling us slower people along, guys!) but they quickly figured out that it was first and foremost a social ride.
With so many outdoor rides being cancelled, the club is also setting up training rides on Zwift for the Assault on Mt Mitchell.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-11-22, 09:28 AM
caloso

Love it. Our Monday night rides are done at “COVID pace.” For this group that’s around 2.5 w/kg.

I am mostly on TrainerRoad when I ride inside, but I would keep Zwift purely for the social aspect.
Old 01-11-22, 09:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
I just ride my bike outside so I don't get Zwift surveys.
Old 01-11-22, 12:05 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
My daughter is a “Data Analyst” in a media or marketing firm (I get confused) in Manhattan. Needless to say, I can’t believe she gets paid to do her “job”. As much as I can gather, it is becoming less R&D, manufacture, wholesale, and then retail. Sure there is money to refine products, manufacturing is pennies, less wholesale, loads of dollars in marketing and influencing, and then Amazon. I generalize but, I can’t go to Sears anymore to buy popcorn next to the escalator, nor was Sears ever proactive at getting my daughter to shop there. While Amazon & Google have cookies to learn more about me than I care to know. And now they provide bundled services, hey Alex play “Chariots of Fire” and “fan on” while riding Zwift. So, less about the device more about connecting for a recurring monthly service, aka Prime.

That is why I vote for a Wahoo, Alexa activated, kicker popcorn maker, Pain Cave model. Needless to say with a flavor of the month subscription.🍿 Thank for reading to the end.
I did read to the end, and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by prj71
I just ride my bike outside so I don't get Zwift surveys.
Congratulations on your 3,071st post.
Old 01-13-22, 11:30 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
[QUOTE=Bald Paul;22369851]I did read to the end, and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry, I was ranting “Back in my day…” with a 21st century generation-gap obscure reference. Adding, that I still expect more from modern conveniences like Zwift. All of this, while I try not to exhibit senility or dementia.