Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Tubular tire on trainers

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Tubular tire on trainers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 08:58 AM
mf70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Tubular tire on trainers

Firs of all, I'm cheap. I had a chance to use what was a nice bike half a century ago and allow it to graduate from attic to a useful piece of kit by hooking it to an indoor trainer. The tires were tubular, of course (remember the vintage). They were originally Criterium Setas, but they had rotted from 50 years in the attic, so I'd put new Challenge Elites on. Unfortunately, once I got the trainer dissipating a useful wattage (for me), I was horrified to see significant tread wear after 1 hr. of use.

I thought of a dedicated indoor training tire, but I couldn't find a tubular version.

Now I was faced with buying a new 700c wheel for that new tire, but another complication arose. Tech: a new wheel would add ~$100 to the project, and the bike had a 120mm OLD that couldn't be cold set. I learned on this forum that 700c had been advanced as a clincher standard to match tubular rim sizes. So perhaps a 700c tire would fit over the existing tubular tire for $40. If it didn't I would have to bite the bullet and build a new wheel on the 120OLD hub.

In the event, the Vittoria trainer tire DOES fit over the existing tire. The bead overhangs and fouls the brake track, of course, but the rear brake is seldom used indoors. The tubular tire underneath holds the pressure and grips the tire. In addition, it shows no wear so far and is quieter: win win.
Old 01-22-22, 05:00 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
If that bike is what I think it is, it's historically significant. If you want to use it as a trainer mule, that's your business, but I would be surprised if a collector wouldn't give you a good price for it.
Old 01-22-22, 05:22 PM
mf70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The bike

Hee hee, yes it is a Teledyne Titan, made out of Russian titanium. They have a rep of being "fragile," so I'm reluctant to let it out on the road (especially since I no longer weigh 74 kg). Setting it up in a trainer stand lets me feel it in action, not just as wall art. It's in my living room, and I get an internal smile each time I walk past. I'd like to know more of the specifics about forks and other weak areas; maybe I'd get more courage about letting it feel the road. The Titan thread on the Vintage forum didn't have much data, and I REALLY don't want to break it.