Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So ... what are the latest thoughts on carbon clinchers and rim brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So ... what are the latest thoughts on carbon clinchers and rim brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 05:30 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
@SkepticalOne

A junkie broke the window in my car and pulled the bike out while I was taking a leak on a long drive. Disappeared with them and the bike.

I loved the wheels. The new ones are waiting for me in a shop in a little mountain town on the other side of the Cascades, I'm leaving this evening to pick them up tomorrow.
Good God! I hope there was some insurance coverage on this!
Old 09-25-17, 07:41 AM
bikebreak

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Actually, that was overstated.

I figure 1/2 mph faster, & my example was 125 miles @ 15 vs 15.5 mph

Accidentally read 8.33 hrs (vs 8.065 hrs) as 8 hrs 33 minutes.

So 16 minutes saved.

That's a good speed for 125, but at 15mph you are not getting a lot of advantage from deep rims.
A 55mm rim will be much better at high speeds and give a much larger aero advantage, think 20mph vs 18mph. At least for my Easton ec90 55mm
Old 09-25-17, 07:48 AM
bikebreak

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This is why I don't like you---you have too much talent and skill.

I won't do tubular because of the (perceived) difficulty of changing tubulars on the roadside in the rain at night along a dark stretch of road two-thirds of the way through a painfully long ride... which is exactly where I did my last tube swap (well, honestly it wasn't raining ... ) But I dream of a pair of 1300-gram clinchers tough enough to support me.

changing a tubular is pretty quick, as fast as replacing a tube if you know what you are doing. In my experience (6 years riding, 4 mostly on tubular) tubular tires flat less than clinchers, and never pinch flat. Also you can put sealant in them and they become impervious to little thorns etc. that kill a tube.

for alloy, tubular rims are not a whole lot lighter or better than clincher. they used to make 250 gram tubular rims (yes alloy) but now most are around 400g and overbuilt for cx use

for alloy rim brake pads CoolStop has really nice salmon colored pads for wet, and combination pads (black and salmon) for all conditions, and a three compound CX pad for even more conditions
Old 09-25-17, 08:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
changing a tubular is pretty quick, as fast as replacing a tube if you know what you are doing.
Brain surgery is easy if you know what you are doing, I'd guess.

Personally I found that finally I have hit the sweet spot ... I know enough to know what I don't know.

Seriously, I was on what was, for me, a long ride on a Sunday night last month and got two punctures in a couple miles. It was an unlit stretch of road (which I like) and I had lights on the bike, so if I needed to add a glueless patch for a third flat I could have.

I hear about how much better tubulars ride, and I hear it from people whom I believe to be honest and experienced ... but I like to plan for worst-case scenarios, having found myself in so many .... Maybe when I get older and crazier I will try tubulars and regret all the wasted years ....
Old 09-25-17, 09:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Got 'em this weekend. Forgot how magical these things are.
@Maelochs, I don't know how many bikes and wheels you have, but new toys are always fun, and they call you out to the road. Go for it man.
Old 09-25-17, 09:21 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I use BBB carbon fiber wheel brake pads in 6800 calipers on eBay 50MM x 23MM rims. I've never had an issue with stopping power, even when riding in the rain.
Old 09-25-17, 09:59 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
That's a good speed for 125, but at 15mph you are not getting a lot of advantage from deep rims.
A 55mm rim will be much better at high speeds and give a much larger aero advantage, think 20mph vs 18mph. At least for my Easton ec90 55mm

I wouldn't know, as I haven't had 20mph moving average in decades.

Did have a quite fast time on a flattish DC last year (on same wheels as you), but can't separate the wheels from

drafting, etc. etc.. Since it's pretty much a guess anyway, I don't want to overstate.

The most objective measure I have is that a regular riding partner who outweighs me by 40 lbs would always

coast past on descents, but while using those wheels, he never did.
Old 09-25-17, 12:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by woodcraft
The most objective measure I have is that a regular riding partner who outweighs me by 40 lbs would always coast past on descents, but while using those wheels, he never did.
Wait, was he using the wheels and couldn't coast past, or were You?

Old 09-25-17, 12:45 PM
woodcraft

Wait, was he using the wheels and couldn't coast past, or were You?

I didn't word that very well, did I?
Old 09-25-17, 01:13 PM
Maelochs

Do pretty much anything you want, I am cool with it ... but Don't Make Me Think.

I am an American, after all.
Old 09-26-17, 01:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I realized I should maybe mention this, especially with braking traditionally being the Achilles heel of carbon rims.

I got mine this weekend. First ride was up and down Sun Mountain. Got to the top just after sunset, came down at full speed in the dark, it was a deery night, I didn't give it a second thought.

Phenomenal stopping power and control. But they're disc brake wheels, so I knew that, I knew exactly what to expect, and didn't have a worry in my mind. They work brilliantly in the desert sun, they work fantastically in the Seattle rain, I don't ever have to worry about knocking my teeth out all over the road. Which was the stated intent behind this entire thread.

If I'd had more time, the first ride would have been Washington Pass - a longer, steeper, faster descent. But road tubeless is a bear to set up and they were ready an hour before sundown.

Anyway, I don't think anybody would buy a set of Chinese carbon rim-brake wheels and take them up and down a mountain for the first ride. I sure wouldn't.

Words to the wise.
Old 09-26-17, 01:56 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I realized I should maybe mention this, especially with braking traditionally being the Achilles heel of carbon rims.

I got mine this weekend. First ride was up and down Sun Mountain. Got to the top just after sunset, came down at full speed in the dark, it was a deery night, I didn't give it a second thought.

Phenomenal stopping power and control. But they're disc brake wheels, so I knew that, I knew exactly what to expect, and didn't have a worry in my mind. They work brilliantly in the desert sun, they work fantastically in the Seattle rain, I don't ever have to worry about knocking my teeth out all over the road. Which was the stated intent behind this entire thread.

If I'd had more time, the first ride would have been Washington Pass - a longer, steeper, faster descent. But road tubeless is a bear to set up and they were ready an hour before sundown.

Anyway, I don't think anybody would buy a set of Chinese carbon rim-brake wheels and take them up and down a mountain for the first ride. I sure wouldn't.

Words to the wise.
Well, since you put it that way...

Actually you make a very good point. There are lots of arguments about carbon clinchers, Chinese and otherwise, but when you cast that light on it, the choices do get a bit clearer. And this from a guy who totally believes in the product.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-26-17, 04:18 PM
woodcraft

Words to the wise.

Glad that you like your wheels, but your post has several problems IMO.

- Repeating tired CF stereotypes.
- Riding full speed down a mountain in the dark without a second thought.
- Riding full speed down a mountain in the dark on the first ride of untested wheels & tires.
- You have experience riding in the desert?
- Apparently believing that disc brakes guarantee against crashing.
- Generalizing about what anybody would do.
Old 09-26-17, 05:08 PM
Maelochs

Well ... sorry about all y'all's problems ... I''ve solved mine.

I am getting a set of nice, light hand-built alloy rim-brake wheels, and eventually a set of deep CF discs ... for the next bike I build.

Wife wants a new car so ... Leverage!
Old 01-10-22, 02:54 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
(yeah, I know this is a zombie thread)

I'm headed to Las Vegas to ride over the MLK weekend, and unexpectedly I can't take the disc brake bike with me. So I'm taking the rim brake bike. Normally, that one has carbon (Lightbicycle) clinchers, but there are some long long descents on my planned routes - 3000-4000 feet continuous at 5% or so - and having done them before, I know I'll be riding the brakes for a long time. (You guys with skills who would bomb down these at 50+ mph - bully for you, but there's too much debris on these roads for me to be comfortable with that).

So I'm going to swap out the nice carbon rims for some old wheels with alloy brake tracks. Maybe it's not completely necessary, but it will give me a little less to worry about.
Call me weird, but brakes and wheels aside, I'm going to enjoy the ascents and hate the descents.
Old 01-10-22, 06:33 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I am considering building a lightweight endurance-geometry frame which would be more comfortable (more relaxed riding position, wider tires) for longer rides than my Workswell 066.

The question I am facing is rim brakes and deepish carbon clinchers with potentially questionable braking ability and the potential of wearing out the (rather more expensive) rim or disc brakes, in which case I could offset the weight lost with CF wheels with discs and heavier calipers. (I always seek to avoid unnecessary weight loss.)

With CF rims I can get lighter wheels for the same money--but light wheels which don't stop or don't last .... not such a bargain.

So ... does anyone here ride CF rims with caliper brakes, and how bad is it/are they?
I have Roval CL50 carbon wheels with rim break. I have had them 15 months with lots of miles. Have no issues with braking and minimum wear on the brake track of the wheels. Many factors would include how much your on the brakes, allot of downhills braking speed stops etc. I Would also say to follow the manufacturer recommended brake pads. Some wheels ask that you use a specific brake pad set. I have about 3000 miles on my wheels and I am still on the same set of brake pads. Best upgrade you can make to your bike are the wheels.
Old 01-10-22, 06:38 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
(yeah, I know this is a zombie thread)
Yes, but it's a good thing you revived it because the forum hasn't any rim vs. disc or aluminum vs. carbon threads since then.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-10-22, 06:50 PM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, but it's a good thing you revived it because the forum hasn't any rim vs. disc or aluminum vs. carbon threads since then.
Is there a good list of "Great Debates" (possibly titled Holy Wars) anywhere? I think I need to get caught up.
Old 01-10-22, 06:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Not a one?

The question then lingers - why did I choose this particular zombie thread to revive with my post?

B/c it was the first one I encountered in a search that about fit the bill, where people discussed braking on long descents.

I apologize to all those other zombie threads that weren't picked for resurrection. Their time will come.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-10-22, 07:25 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Don't ride the brakes, both on hard at the same time, cool down and repeat. You will be fine.
Likes For popeye:
Old 01-10-22, 08:53 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Don't ride the brakes, both on hard at the same time, cool down and repeat. You will be fine.
What he said. Feather as much as possible.
Old 01-10-22, 08:56 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Delaminated carbon is also a zombie issue unless one is braking on old, lousy epoxy rims.
Old 01-11-22, 01:44 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I wonder how well this thread has aged for a bigger dude descending long/steep grades?
Old 01-17-22, 06:33 AM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I purchased Roval CL50 Rim Brake Carbon wheels about 18 months ago, I have had no noticeable difference in braking. You need to make sure you use pads meant for carbon rims, but I have noticed zero difference in braking. Now , I also do not ride in wet weather either.
Old 01-17-22, 07:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
It's worth revisiting this from 5 years ago. As someone who is still using rim brakes, I am sad to say it's probably true that rim-brake carbon fiber wheels are going to become an "orphan" technology soon. I doubt there will be much new investment, as most cyclists that are invested enough in the sport to buy new CF rims are almost always going to be running disc brakes.

I expect the existing technology to be around for many years, but don't think we will see any improvements on what we have.

Comments?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.