Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What motivates you to ride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What motivates you to ride?

Old 11-18-21, 09:44 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Started commuting as an adult in 2013 to lose weight, and then after getting somewhat fit and losing 60 lbs, from 2014-2018 I too used to ride almost exclusively for the purpose of chasing PR's (both times and distance) and was ALWAYS trying to ascend every Strava segment leaderboard I could, on EVERY single ride, constantly pushing the limits of my new found (superhero level to me) fitness. Single, double imperial centuries, 1,000+ watt sprints, 13,500' in 111 miles (D2R2, ) 24hr rides, 400km brevets, Mt Evans, etc... all I wanted to do was get better and chase numbers. It consumed me and it felt great succeeding and becoming healthier/fitter than I ever imagined was possible.

Then incurable (but manageable) Stage 4 Lung, Lymph, Spine Cancer got me in late 2019, in the ICU with a collapsed lung due to the tumors pushing it closed, wondering if I'd even make it, let alone ride again. Luckily I had the type that was treatable with a pill, and in the Spring of 2020 I took my first rides again. PR's, speed, distance, and leaderboards were the absolute furthest thing from my mind. All I cared about was that I was BACK ON THE BIKE!!! and those first rides were so unbelievably bittersweet. That year I recovered enough to get ~3,000 miles in, including a century with my 27 yr old son, and a ride up Mt Evans from Echo Lake. Then in Jan of 2020 it decided to metastasize to the brain, which was treated in Feb, more found up there in and treated again in May, which were big setbacks in my winter/spring training, but now in 2021 I've been able to get in 2,500 miles so far (and maybe 3,000 before the years over), including a 6,500' imperial century in Denver.

Now when I go out, I'm no longer riding to chase numbers, I'm out there because I realized I just enjoy riding and challenging my current self no matter what speed I'm going, and no matter what my power meter is telling me. Just as long as I'm out there, I'm as happy as I ever was chasing numbers or leaderboards.

My motivation is simply: the more I do this thing now, the more I'll be able to do it when the **** ultimately hits the fan again.
Hi from Parker, you are absolutely amazing! My best wishes to you.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 11-18-21, 09:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Same here, it's the hills that make one tough. Cycling, XC skiing or running. One day on a climb when I passed a group of ladies skating uphill and me on my classic skis.
The comment I heard: "Hey, did you see that? What's wrong with this picture?"
Sure put a big smile on this geezer's face.

PS still looking for the perfect T-shirt that says "Old guys rule".
Found a T shirt on Amazon which reads, Never underestimate an old guy on a bicycle and shows a guy racing on a road bike.

Old 11-18-21, 11:30 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Yeah there is a nice selection of those, but ..... the "old guys rule" sounds more generally applicable.
Old 11-19-21, 07:39 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I've always liked "Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance" from David Mamet.
Old 11-19-21, 07:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Ohhh yeah = the jersey(s)

?How could I forget the jerseys?
Old 11-19-21, 08:07 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
I want to dance at her wedding.

Old 11-19-21, 05:41 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
AWESOME REPLIES

I'm a simple guy who finds motivation in strange places. Was out this morning at 4:03AM for the peak of the longest Lunar Eclipse in 580 years? About ready to head out tonight to ride a Full Moon 100% illumination ride? Gonna try for a segmented 100 miler 'cause the minor Rotator Cuff tear from my July 4th crash at 100 mile mark of my 102 miler begins hurting after 15 miles of riding. I just can't do those no stopping/unclipping 100 miler anymore. Also trying to keep the body in motion more so now since I had the boys removed due to Prostate Cancer diagnosis in 2015 and even with fake T the muscles keep disappearing making it harder.

edit: Had to stop at 57.75 miles. Too much wind thus effort thus pain.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 11-20-21 at 05:07 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-19-21, 05:57 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
I live in a beautiful place to ride, both road and MTB: That certainly helps.

But mainly I think it's Inertia: I went on my first 50 mile ride at the age of 13 in 1965. I've been riding consistently ever since. Perhaps I lack imagination, but I've found something I love to do and I just keep doing it.

Mixing it up also helps. I ride the tandem a couple days a week with my wife. I've been riding MTB on Sundays with a small group of friends for the last 25 years. I usually get in one long solo ride a week, either on the road or gravel. I race cyclocross in the season. I ride into town a couple times a week to get the mail.

Like @Wildwood I have a variety of bicycles, which is another way of mixing it up. I also enjoy tinkering on them.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-20-21, 11:00 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I don't know if it's motivation or addiction but I miss it if I don't ride.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 11-20-21, 11:54 AM
Funkywheels63

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My doctor said I needed more exercise, even though I told him I work part time at home depot. there have been days where I average 3-4 miles walking depending on my shift hours.
Likes For Funkywheels63:
Old 11-20-21, 01:19 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Yesterday I crashed on a wet road with loose gravel over asphalt. Slid out and got serious road rash on my left shoulder and banged up my right knee pretty good. Helmet is history. Bike is salvageable. Couldn't wait to get back out there this morning simply cause the sun is shining. I'll put the crashed bike back to sorts after lunch haha. Had a wonderful, brisk ride!
I should add that the worse thing is it tore up my winter riding gear pretty bad, but I would have been much worse off if I were still wearing summer gear which is much lighter.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-20-21, 04:57 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I live in a beautiful place to ride, both road and MTB: That certainly helps.

But mainly I think it's Inertia: I went on my first 50 mile ride at the age of 13 in 1965. I've been riding consistently ever since. Perhaps I lack imagination, but I've found something I love to do and I just keep doing it.

Mixing it up also helps. I ride the tandem a couple days a week with my wife. I've been riding MTB on Sundays with a small group of friends for the last 25 years. I usually get in one long solo ride a week, either on the road or gravel. I race cyclocross in the season. I ride into town a couple times a week to get the mail.

Like @Wildwood I have a variety of bicycles, which is another way of mixing it up. I also enjoy tinkering on them.

Brent
Brent if I lived where there’s as scenic an area as yours I’d be out there a LOT. Incredible! I totally agree and appreciate the variety as well. I have to travel to enjoy gravel roads but it’s a nice change. We have several MTB options close by which my friends enjoy but it’s just not my thing.

Do you happen to know if there are any quality golf courses in your vicinity?
Old 11-20-21, 06:16 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Brent if I lived where there’s as scenic an area as yours I’d be out there a LOT. Incredible! I totally agree and appreciate the variety as well. I have to travel to enjoy gravel roads but it’s a nice change. We have several MTB options close by which my friends enjoy but it’s just not my thing.

Do you happen to know if there are any quality golf courses in your vicinity?
I'm not a golfer, so in no position to judge the quality of golf courses. I do know that there are 4 golf courses within a 25 mile radius of my home. I think one of them is "members only."
Brent
Old 11-20-21, 06:31 PM
banana jam 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
For me it's waking up and knowing what I have to do.
Old 11-20-21, 10:37 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
The joy, time alone to think, drinking in fresh air, the pain, blue skies, pushing myself....

Oh, and these beauties get lonely if I don't play with one of them each day.

Old 11-20-21, 11:00 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
The other day on my down hill run I felt a bug hitting me in the teeth... Happy Happy... Joy Joy...
Old 11-21-21, 06:03 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Gotta love that endorphin grin.
Old 11-21-21, 06:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Yesterday I crashed on a wet road with loose gravel over asphalt. Slid out and got serious road rash on my left shoulder and banged up my right knee pretty good. Helmet is history. Bike is salvageable. Couldn't wait to get back out there this morning simply cause the sun is shining. I'll put the crashed bike back to sorts after lunch haha. Had a wonderful, brisk ride!
I should add that the worse thing is it tore up my winter riding gear pretty bad, but I would have been much worse off if I were still wearing summer gear which is much lighter.
your resilience is admirable. for the clothing, have you heard of tenacious tape? I've used it on torn cycling pants at the knee, a glove seam, toe bumper on my Daughter's hiking shoe & around a tearing section of a rubber covering on a bike rack accessory tension bar adapter (or whatever you call those things). but buying new stuff is good too!
Old 11-21-21, 10:34 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
your resilience is admirable. for the clothing, have you heard of tenacious tape? I've used it on torn cycling pants at the knee, a glove seam, toe bumper on my Daughter's hiking shoe & around a tearing section of a rubber covering on a bike rack accessory tension bar adapter (or whatever you call those things). but buying new stuff is good too!
I;ll be buying new stuff this week. Fortunately I have a spare helmet and more bikes. My wife added patches of bright yellow to the jacket to hold it togethr. It's a real fashion statement haha. The bike didn't fare to bad. The right brake lever got twisted inward and my GPS is scraped up but functional. The pants went in the garbage because the knee was shredded and bloody. I can't believe I didn't wake up stiff yesterday. Riding is like a miracle drug!!! And we're just a bunch of addicts.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-21-21, 10:50 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Welcome to my world. I have been riding this way since I was eight years old.

In the past few years, though, I've come to accept that others are allowed to have their own ideas about cycling, too. To me, it appears that many cyclists who are much faster, ride longer distances, and have cooler gear have too much stress to enjoy biking as much as I do, but I've been proven wrong more than once. It doesn't matter what I perceive to be true, anyway.

To me, sights, scents, sounds, and emotions are what bicycling is about. The slower I ride and the longer it takes me to reach my destination, the more I get to experience these things.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 11-21-21, 03:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Riding is like a miracle drug!!! And we're just a bunch of addicts.
true that
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-21-21, 07:20 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
1. I like riding bicycles.
2. A delusional and ultimately vain attempt to defeat mortality.

That's all.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-22-21, 07:35 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
The joy, time alone to think, drinking in fresh air, the pain, blue skies, pushing myself....

Let me know if you ever need some help giving them exercise! Amazing collection.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 11-22-21, 03:06 PM
Funkywheels63

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak

Holy crap, thought I was looking at a bike shop for a moment. it's amazing that you have a room devoted to your passion.
Old 11-22-21, 09:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Why do I ride? Probably am borderline obsessed or addicted.

If I am feeling blue or down, a ride picks me right up. Am riding on average 6.5 days a week

I typically plan the next day’s ride in advance or when awake in the middle of the night

Am in a climbing challenge for November - not the right month for this

The Mrs is upset I am spending too much time on the challenge and feels neglected - but it will be over in just a few days and no more challenges. A package arrived today with a cold weather vest, chain cleaning tools and some misc bike stuff which didn’t ingratiate myself. On the bright side I’m not at the bars, chasing women or have a substance abuse problem.

Told her I would back off the challenge since our marriage is more important. Will work on backing off a bit but that should be easy with December and the winter months upon us. But still have a new warm cycling rain coat on order….

Likes For rsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.