Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Economy Fork for 27.5 - '04 Spec Stumpy HT

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 08:07 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts

so, I'm coming back for some more wisdom from the hive.
I have an '04 Stumpy M4 HT, which is currently a 26r...
I had a bunch of fun on it in the past, and have been thinking 'HT' again, to complement the FS Epic I recently upgraded to 27.5 Frt whl.
I've checked for HTs which might give me what the older stumpy gives, and given the current pricing and expected 'light' use by my old, more cautious self; I'm thinking the 'upgrade' of the stumpy is the best, most economic route. New Fork, New Wheel, Dropper Post, Stem, would prolly do it.
Checked the current Fork - really nice RockShox Reba - and it will not fit a 27.5, so I'll need a New Fork... A Fox would be too much to put out for this update...
So I was hoping to get some opinion/thoughts/suggestions on a decent budget fork - RockShox Judy Silver, Recon Silver, and there seem to be a number of other options, including some off-name forks which might suit. Thinking 120mm, could be either QR or TA - open yo suggestions. 160 mm Disc will be fine.
I usually run a 2 to 2.25 ish tire up front, which works well for my riding.
I'm 150 lbs, love terrain, but will no longer be a really fast rider on downhill sections... too old, too fragile and usually ride BC, which means no cell and a helicopter ride of they find you before you expire... LOL!
The Fork thing is pretty complicated these days and you're personal expertise/thoughts/experiences with the new fork models would be greatly appreciated...
...Familar with Manitou (as a company), Amazon seems to have a bunch of other brands/models, such as BUCKLOS, ZTZ, BOLANY - I expected these might all be same/similar manufacturer, just different wholesalers from asia ?
But some recs for Company/Model would be appreciated.
Currently bike is boxed and in attice, but gonna bring it down and clean up this coming week - but here's a web picture which shows the frame - parts are mostly all XT/XTR, 3x-9, 11-32, current wheels are high end shimano tubeless, so I'll prolly go tubeless on the new 27.5 frt wheel as well.

Stumpy M4 - similar to mine
Thanks for any thoughts/recs/help
Ride On Yuri
EDIT: so cancel any thoughts of the asian brand/source forks - just read a bunch of reviews - so I'm interested only in KNOWN Brands such as Rockshox, Manitou, maybe Marzocchi, Fox (if there's anything under $500 ... LOL!

Last edited by cyclezen; 12-04-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-07-21, 10:14 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
I have Manitou Markhors on my 2005 SC Superlite and Niner scandium hardtail (26" & 29", respectively) and they are perfect (for me), very inexpensive, durable after a year of use riding one or the other three times a week, and straight 1and1/8" steerer.
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-11-21, 10:56 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I have Manitou Markhors on my 2005 SC Superlite and Niner scandium hardtail (26" & 29", respectively) and they are perfect (for me), very inexpensive, durable after a year of use riding one or the other three times a week, and straight 1and1/8" steerer.
Checked out the reviews for the Markhors - also good reviews ! Thx
I compared to reviews of the Judy Silver and seems 6 or 1/2 doz diff. between the two forks...
Being I am a light guy and certainly not ripping up trails on the HT - I went with the Judy - was $50 less...
will report back once I get it and have a few bimbles around... also waiting for the ordered dropper post... stoked !
Thx 2old!
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: