Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

show rain cover

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

show rain cover

Old 07-13-22, 08:13 PM
Ridinglurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
show rain cover

I recently started commuting and only go to work 2 days a week. Commute is 9 km and I have a shower at work and completely change my clothes at work.

I'm all set for nice weather and I'm also set for the coldest winter. The part still unclear is rain when it is somewhat warm. I have an idea for jacket and pants.

For my shoes (flat pedal, regular tennis shoes) I originally thought I just let them get wet, and then at work change them for dry shows after the shower. but then i thought they will take forever to dry.

So my idea is to also have shoe covers. I realize my feet may sweat (or not since feet don't do much when biking). If possible i like the shoe covers to have a bright color for added safety.

It looks like they are wear items and I don't need them that often.

For some reason I can't make links... I found these and hope they work on regular shoes even if they say they are for clipless: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834BZHBY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Are there any specific products I should look at or is the above random amazon item just good enough till it fails? Again, it seems they seem to be wear items (I have pins on my flat pedals, for example)

I saw some older threads about this and it seems many people just use whatever.
Old 07-13-22, 08:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I use lightweight waterproof hiking boots. Comfortable, dry, inexpensive, rugged. I tried shoe covers, but they didn't last a season.
Old 07-14-22, 02:55 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
What I use are minimalist trail runners like the Merrell Trail Glove for a bit faster rides (stiffer sole) or Vapor Glove for easy commutes (very flexible sole). They dry quickly and the studs from the flat pedals have just enough grip.
Old 07-14-22, 08:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
The worst cycling condition isn't warm rain, it's cold rain.

I ride with Sidi Mega shoes (artificial "leather"). When it rains hard, I'll pull the insole out and stuff the shoes with newspaper for an hour, and then let them dry the rest of the work day. They won't be fully dry for the ride home, but they're not as bad as putting on the socks I wrung out that morning.
Old 07-15-22, 01:04 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I don't know about shoes but for tepid and warm rain I choose a rain poncho for air circulation.
Old 07-15-22, 03:28 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
These seem to be more sturdily made:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...1TTQ5DAD&psc=1
Old 07-16-22, 11:02 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I tried shoe covers and must have a couple of pairs from different manufacturers somewhere around. I found them too cumbersome in practical use, awkward to put on and take off, and awkward to wear, far more bother than gain. I use either a rain cape or parka that both spread out up to handlebars in the rain and protect the shoes enough from above. As to the bottom, I have a generous mud flap on the front wheel and, if I ride rapidly over a puddle, I raise my feet.
Old 07-17-22, 05:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I used ankle gaiters on a cold rainy day with a long ride. They were terrific. They were a lot looser than those shown above. They wrap around the foot and ankle and fasten with velcro.

If the rain isn't cold, I prefer sandals which lets the water evaporate to a degree. I might wear wool socks or no socks. I never wear cotton socks on any day of the year.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-21-22, 07:58 AM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So we haven't rain yet, so i neglected this. but i rode to work every day (2/week) and the shower logistics etc. worked out fine. So I think riding every day (rain or shine) is possible. I also think I can have one rain outfit at home, and one at work (in case rain appears in the afternoon).

I considered just riding with wet feet, but think I would hate it.

I forgot to mention, I have flat pedals with metal pins. Many reviews I saw mention the covers get damaged at the bottom. So currently I'm between these types:
- disposable (maybe realistic to use 5 times each?): https://smile.amazon.com/HUABEI-Disp...ustomerReviews
- re-usable and sturdy: https://smile.amazon.com/JUSPRO-Wate...s%2C96&sr=1-18

So with regulars flat pedals and metal pins, is a reusable like the one above going to hold up? I hate to use disposable stuff, but if the reusable gets damaged anyway (pedal pins), the disposable may be better. Advantage of the disposables is they are tiny and i can stow them away easier.

I also want to look at gloves, but think some cheap water-proof may be fine to keep the hands warm for now. for winter i have liners i could put underneath water-proof type. Right now i just want to make it till fall, and then possibly buy something more for colder October rain.