Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Selle Anatomica

Old 04-03-22, 06:57 PM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
Selle Anatomica

I have the traditional model of this saddle. I have moved it fore and aft. I have moved the nose up and down. The seat post up and down. With the nose up it hurts my soft tissue. Nose down I slide forward. Any ideas.
Old 04-03-22, 07:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Try it level, and adjust the tension such that a 6mm allen wrench just fits in the narrowest part of the slot.
Old 04-09-22, 06:40 AM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
SAddle returned! Lets see how good the 30 day ride guarantee is now. I didn't give up I just tried everything I knew and read and asked for advice every where.
Likes For billmc40:
Old 04-12-22, 11:10 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
Try one of these:

A Selle SMP TRK matches my under-carriage.

Selle SMP TRK

I can ride comfortably in the "crotch cradle", as I call it, for miles, then scoot back a little and perch on the generous pads for a change-up.

Last edited by Fredo76; 04-12-22 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 07-16-22, 10:17 AM
brucedelta

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by billmc40
SAddle returned! Lets see how good the 30 day ride guarantee is now. I didn't give up I just tried everything I knew and read and asked for advice every where.
In general if you are a Clyde I would not count on them honoring the return. I attempted many of the adjustments and emailed them when I could not find comfort asking for suggestions. They told me the saddle was not returnable without a large fee since I “stretched” it. I rode under 10 miles with it, seems like a reasonable trial. I was about 265 at the time, so at the limit.
Old 07-21-22, 10:35 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Yeah, it's a crap shoot to find the right saddle. But when you find it, it's like finding a lost friend, always welcome. I have a box of take offs from my bikes because I found my lost friend. I think it also requires the right kind of seatpost. I normally only get two bolt posts with the bolts front and rear (like a Thomson), that way I can really fine tune the tilt.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 12-03-22, 03:23 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by brucedelta
In general if you are a Clyde I would not count on them honoring the return. I attempted many of the adjustments and emailed them when I could not find comfort asking for suggestions. They told me the saddle was not returnable without a large fee since I “stretched” it. I rode under 10 miles with it, seems like a reasonable trial. I was about 265 at the time, so at the limit.
I'm not that heavy, but I do appreciate the extra stiffness of the H saddle leather. As far as stretching, the saddle is supposed to stretch - that's why several of us here echo the SA recommendation to adjust the tension screw to keep the slot gap at 6 mm! Something is fishy here. Besides if you were riding a T saddle at 265 lb I could see them denying coverege due to over-limit usage, because a limit is stated. On the H I bought, NO upper limit was stated, so how can they say the rider was over-limit? Again this seems fishy!
Old 12-03-22, 04:48 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Maybe too late, but

Tilt down as needed to protect soft tissue. Note that angle changes as your torso angle changes. Everything is connected to everything.

Move saddle back to address butt sliding forward.

Then adjust stem length as needed.

Adjusting stem length may affect the appropriate tilt angle and fore/aft. So repeat the above as needed.

Then your body changes and you get to do it all over again.

Cheers
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-19-22, 08:43 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76

Selle SMP TRK

I can ride comfortably in the "crotch cradle", as I call it, for miles, then scoot back a little and perch on the generous pads for a change-up.
Selle SMP TRK works **great** for my 6'-1", 228 lb. self! I have over 33,000 miles on this model. I have one on my road bike and another on my gravel/dirt road bike. LOVE IT!

Gary
Old 01-12-23, 08:12 AM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Yeah, it's a crap shoot to find the right saddle. But when you find it, it's like finding a lost friend, always welcome. I have a box of take offs from my bikes because I found my lost friend. I think it also requires the right kind of seatpost. I normally only get two bolt posts with the bolts front and rear (like a Thomson), that way I can really fine tune the tilt.
Just out of curiosity, which saddle is your "lost friend?"
Old 01-19-23, 12:51 PM
jmitchelltfo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76

This one is on my list since my Brooks C19 leaves me with tailbone pain.
Old 01-29-23, 12:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Did Selle Anatomica honor their warranty?

I got a numb undercarriage on Avocet Touring I, low end fizik, B17 Imperial, and I got saddle sore on an ISM (n numbness, though - some people hav gotten sores, but not everyone, so don't discount the ISMs). I've been on a Selle SMP TRK for the last 7,000-8,000 miles. My 2nd TRK is wearing out, so I may go back to the B17 Imperial on my trainer, but I'll probably buy a 3rd SMP in the Spring.