Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Touring tires on rollers?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-13-20, 08:35 PM
MiE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

has anyone used touring tires on rollers? I need some new tires (700x32c) for my bike. Looking at touring tires for winter. I don't have the money for another wheelset dedicated to indoor on a trainer but can't find any info on whether they work ok. Probably riding an hour total on the rollers and a 60 mile ride outside each week. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
Old 09-14-20, 07:20 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't pump up the PSI and use it on your rollers. I do not use special tires on mine...I have road bikes.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-14-20, 11:19 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
Knobbies make it more interesting.
Old 09-14-20, 09:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
you can use foam filled captive air tires like Tannus, they're heavier rolling but you are into it for the fitness workout ,. right ?
Old 09-16-20, 06:23 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Rollers are dumb. just go outside and ride.
Old 09-16-20, 11:01 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Come up to the North in the dead of Winter and say that.
Old 09-16-20, 11:08 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MiE
has anyone used touring tires on rollers? I need some new tires (700x32c) for my bike. Looking at touring tires for winter. I don't have the money for another wheelset dedicated to indoor on a trainer but can't find any info on whether they work ok. Probably riding an hour total on the rollers and a 60 mile ride outside each week. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
You could, but they'll probably be loud and you'll wear off whatever tread is on those tires more quickly.
Old 09-16-20, 01:54 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Come up to the North in the dead of Winter and say that.
I have and do. I was raised on a farm in Greenford Ohio and lived in Kenosha Wisconsin for a couple years after I finished school. I carry a bike with me every time I go visit family whatever the season. The summer heat here can be as brutal as the cold winters there.
Old 09-16-20, 02:15 PM
phughes

I have and do. I was raised on a farm in Greenford Ohio and lived in Kenosha Wisconsin for a couple years after I finished school. I carry a bike with me every time I go visit family whatever the season. The summer heat here can be as brutal as the cold winters there.
Great, then your statement made absolutely no sense. Yes, I commuted in the Winter, but I also had a bike on a trainer for exercise. I ended up stopping riding as much in the Winter around here due to the salt damage to the bike, and the fact here we have narrow twisty roads with very steep hills. By steep, in less than a mile from my house there is a +20% grade. The one I generally ride when I commute is around 15% within an eighth of a mile from the house. Couple that with snow, ice, curves, and idiot drivers, and you will see how rollers can make sense. It can get dangerous i the Winter. There are no shoulders, and sometimes the right of the road is an immediate hillside, and the other side of the road is a drop off, so no riding off the side of the road.

The heat you have isn't so bad, you lack much humidity. I used to live in West Texas, so I experienced the heat as well. When I lived in Branson, MO, I commuted on the hills there, with 50-88% humidity and temps between 95 and 105 the two Summers I lived there. Brutal with the humidity.
Old 09-16-20, 07:56 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
I don’t think the question really called for this sort of negativity.
Likes For grolby:
Old 09-16-20, 08:00 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MiE
I haven’t used touring tires per se, but I have used a Panaracer T-Serv on a stationary trainer and it was noisier and made more vibration than a normal road slick. The problem would be less pronounced on rollers, but I would be prepared for some more noise and vibration. They won’t hurt anything, so if a little extra noise is ok with you, it should work just fine.
Likes For grolby:
Old 09-16-20, 08:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Touring tires are for going places.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-17-20, 09:29 AM
phughes

Tire wear on rollers is not bad. A trainer would be worse. I run my normal tires on a trainer, and wouldn't hesitate to run them on rollers.
Old 09-17-20, 10:16 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
They will work, but if you're going to be on rollers a lot, you will be much happier changing to slicks. You don't need new wheels or anything, but it really is a big comfort upgrade over a couple hundred hours in the off season. Doesn't have to cost a lot.