Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Having two of the exact same bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Having two of the exact same bikes?

Old 03-22-21, 08:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I kind of lost where this thread is going

Old 03-22-21, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Gosh, what does it say for me that I watched the video in its entirety? <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-22-21, 10:52 AM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I kind of lost where this thread is going but I have a friend who buys 2 new very high end road bikes every few years one for his vacation home and one for his residence. That way no issues regarding fit or user experience.
It's kind of shifted. Basically, should I buy a second frame of a bike I already own so I have a backup that I can enjoy riding as much as my daily? Answer was yes. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 03-22-21, 11:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
Basically, should I buy a second frame of a bike I already own so I have a backup that I can enjoy riding as much as my daily? Answer was yes.
Sorry, but once you posted the question on the forum, the decision was taken out of your hands. We will give you the answer after another 6 pages.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-22-21, 11:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Gosh, what does it say for me that I watched the video in its entirety? <grin>
SNL could do a good spoof on that.
Old 03-22-21, 01:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
I've been buying / wearing Adidas Sambas for the last 10 years. I keep an old pair for painting / construction and go through my daily pair every 2-3 years. Apparently, more than one of the same thing is a theme for me .
I'll build it up when I need it. I don't currently have enough room on the rack to store it but I have the space to keep a big box in my bedroom. It's a single speed so it'll only take ~20 minutes to build up. No need to worry about indexing gears and whatnot.
I cant imagine wanting to buy another of the exact bike when its a Wabi SS/Fixie. Just buy any older bike that fits and use it as a backup...it will be used what, like 2% of the year at most?
Anyways, I figured you can get these and double up your shoes too- https://www.adidas.com/us/the-velosa...es/FW4459.html
Old 03-22-21, 01:55 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I cant imagine wanting to buy another of the exact bike when its a Wabi SS/Fixie. Just buy any older bike that fits and use it as a backup...it will be used what, like 2% of the year at most?
Anyways, I figured you can get these and double up your shoes too- https://www.adidas.com/us/the-velosa...es/FW4459.html
Depending on what you mean by "older," if we're talking pre-2000s, I have a hard time with the sizing since I'm short. I usually fit a 44-46cm, most pre-200s smallest sizes are 48/49cm. I have a 1986 Trek 560 road bike that is a tad large and has been regelated to pulling the dog trailer. My "older bike that fits" is an All City Nature Boy which is my "do-everything"/winter backup bike. The fit and ride I get from theWabi is so close to perfect that it justifies buying a second frame. Even if it is only ridden 2% of the year, then I'll have it for when the current frame finally craps out. Yes, I get that steel is real and lasts forever but the current frame has also already been t-boned once and while it was neither my fault nor do I want to get hit by a car again, it's always an unfortunate possibility. Also, I already bought the second frame so yeah . . .

I saw Adidas put out the Velosamba. I definitely want to try out a pair when they're back in stock. If they're good enough, maybe I will buy two pairs ;P