Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clinchers w/tubes: carry spare tube or?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-23-21, 05:20 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

So my daughter has a bike with clinchers. I have always ridden tubulars, so what does one carry for flats with clinchers? A spare tube (or just a patch kit? ) and tire levers? Plus a pump or CO2 inflator of course. Im not even sure she would get the tire off! They are Vittoria Corsa 2.0 and a bit tight to lever on. Im not really sure what the benefit of clinchers are. Thanks in advance.
Robin
Old 06-23-21, 05:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Yes to all.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-23-21, 05:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You pretty much mentioned all the things different people do. So which does she want to do? I don't flat much. Less than once a year. I carry a spare tube and CO2 inflator... sometimes.

What ever she or you decide is best, just make sure she practices doing whatever is required a few times. Especially if you use a CO2 inflator. Some don't do what's expected when you puncture the cartridge. And in the heat and rush of trying to get back on the road they can frustrate a person.

There is also tubeless that can be considered. I'm not there yet and maybe to old to learn that new trick.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-23-21, 05:31 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
-if it's a local ride, then carry 1 spare tube, tire boot, 2 tire levers (get the big Pedro levers), CO2, and make sure she knows how to use all these.
-if it's centruy ride or remote, then in addition to the above, carry a patch kit (make sure she knows how to patch), extra CO2 cartridge
-always carry the phone, with a GPS tracking app if you're concerned about her whereabout (GPS tracking drains battery though)
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 06-23-21, 05:37 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
So my daughter has a bike with clinchers. I have always ridden tubulars, so what does one carry for flats with clinchers? A spare tube (or just a patch kit? ) and tire levers? Plus a pump or CO2 inflator of course. Im not even sure she would get the tire off! They are Vittoria Corsa 2.0 and a bit tight to lever on. Im not really sure what the benefit of clinchers are. Thanks in advance.
Robin
Likes For asgelle:
Old 06-23-21, 05:48 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Got it! Thanks all.
Just riding local.
As much as I hate taking that tire off and back on again, fearing pinching the tube, we had better do it.
I found the CO2 inflator easy to use,tho i was surprised how quickly the tire inflated. But, yes, better go over it.
Those Vittorias do ride nice, tho.
Best, Robin
Old 06-23-21, 05:51 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Pump
Levers
Patch Kit
Tube
Tire Boot
.....and....... 3 feet of parachute cord
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-23-21, 05:53 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
once those tires have some heated miles on them & were removed a few times, the effort to remove them gets easier. Which also might indicate the casing is breaking down too. Double edge sword with those. If she's not planning to go tubeless, I'd find a different tire that is easier to replace when servicing on the side of the road.
Old 06-23-21, 06:00 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Benefit to clinchers is you don't need to be proficient at gluing a tire on a rim.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-23-21, 06:26 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I'm sorry the tires are Corsa 2.0s, especially if they're Speeds. I'm not the only one here whose Corsas flatted after approximately 250 miles, making them by far the least durable clincher I've used. You may soon be patting yourself on the back for asking how to fix flats.
Likes For surak:
Old 06-23-21, 07:47 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by Barry2
Pump
Levers
Patch Kit
Tube
Tire Boot
.....and....... 3 feet of parachute cord
parachute cord??
Old 06-23-21, 07:49 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by Troul
once those tires have some heated miles on them & were removed a few times, the effort to remove them gets easier. Which also might indicate the casing is breaking down too. Double edge sword with those. If she's not planning to go tubeless, I'd find a different tire that is easier to replace when servicing on the side of the road.
Ok, thanks, but they are new. Date on box was April 2021. Nice and sticky and flexible.
Old 06-23-21, 08:01 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by surak
I'm sorry the tires are Corsa 2.0s, especially if they're Speeds. I'm not the only one here whose Corsas flatted after approximately 250 miles, making them by far the least durable clincher I've used. You may soon be patting yourself on the back for asking how to fix flats.
Oh, Graphenes if thats any different. I can fix flats, but was not sure if you all carried a foldable spare tire! I seem to recall some small bottles of “flat fix” one could inject into tube, roll around, then *try* to inflate. Looks like carrying tools is what one has to do.
-Robin
Old 06-23-21, 09:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
parachute cord??
What ?
You don't carry Parachute Cord... what are you thinking !

When you try to install really tight tires that last 8-10" just wont go on the rim.
And it's too tight just to place a lever in the middle, so you have to go at it from one end.
Problem is the other end slips off the rim.
Tie one end of that last piece with parachute cord around the tire and rim and it wont slip. Make sure to bind it several times.
Now you can lever the last piece into the rim starting at the untied end using two levers.

It's the only way I can get Conti 5000's on my rims, and the 5000 TL's are even tighter.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-23-21, 09:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Yeah the Corsa's are nice tires, I have or am currently running those tires on a couple bikes. I haven't used the 2.0s officially but have the original version and they are fantastic. They will stretch a little bit over time and become way easier to mount. For me they were a lot easier to mount than my Challenge open tubulars but now after some time the Challenge tires are easy enough to get off. Open Tubulars are like that. Some clinchers also have that problem as well but I find the open tubulars to be a bit tougher. Though actual sew-ups are not terribly different I have had a set of tubulars stretching for years (not really because I felt they needed to be stretched that long I just haven't had the time or energy to want to finish cleaning ancient glue from the the rims and glue them on so I have just let them sit and stretch in my living room.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-23-21, 09:37 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I carry a patch kit (Rema Tip Top, accept no substitute) and a spare tube plus the other stuff needed to fix a flat:

15mm wrench (on bikes with nutted axles)
Tire levers
Small pump

I've never tried tubulars... clinchers seem to be a fairly user friendly technology and are the "devil known" for me, meaning that I'm familiar with their failure modes after 50 years of riding. AFAIK tubulars are limited to narrower tires, but I could be wrong about that.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-23-21, 11:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I too love the Corsa G+ (the earlier pre-tubeless ready version of the Graphenes). (Although I will be going back to to dinosaur treads aka tubulars. Very likely still the Vittoria Gs. And my stash of clincher G+ are likely to last until I have the wheels to go tubular.) I rode Vittoria $15 cottons as training tires as a racer many moons ago under quite a variety of labels. I took the ribbed tread completely for granted. Then they disappeared in the early '80s and I never saw a ribbed tread again until the G+s. My all-time favorite tread. Got reminded first ride.

I carry - 2 tubes, patchkit, 2 tire irons (plastics? ) and sometimes boots. I put the tubes in a sock. Protects them and makes stuffing them into the far end of the tool bag a lot easier.

I always make it a point to have 5 bills or more in my wallet. I've used that many to jury rig a boot for a huge tire slash to get home. Laundered them and spent as if new. (For big cuts, you can extend the bills past the beads so they get pinched down when the tire is mounted. Now they are acting as structural cord. US dollar bills are very strong, but here, using several is appropriate.) Those bills have bailed me out in other ways a time or two also.

I've heard the same stories as shared by the poster above re: flats and the G Speed tires. The regular Gs hae served me very well. They aren't magic. They still wear out and I still get flats but the combination of wear, flats, wonderful feel and grip in a tire that is not heavy - well I used to have to ride very expensive tubulars to get that. (I'm going back to tubbies for a very different reason - peace of mind. I've blown a clincher and had it come off the rim and jam in the seatstay. 25 mph. Collarbone, ribs, helmet on both sides and and acre of road rash. I don't want to do that at 40+ in this lifetime. By contrast, I've blown sewups at ~45 and it was so uneventful I do not remember when or where.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-23-21, 11:26 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
2 tubes, 2 Michelin tyre levers and a pump.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 06-24-21, 02:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Just do the right thing and get your daughter a tubular wheelset.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 06-24-21, 07:16 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Just do the right thing and get your daughter a tubular wheelset.
hahah! Yes, I am regretting that decision…..
Old 06-24-21, 07:18 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by Barry2
What ?
You don't carry Parachute Cord... what are you thinking !

When you try to install really tight tires that last 8-10" just wont go on the rim.
And it's too tight just to place a lever in the middle, so you have to go at it from one end.
Problem is the other end slips off the rim.
Tie one end of that last piece with parachute cord around the tire and rim and it wont slip. Make sure to bind it several times.
Now you can lever the last piece into the rim starting at the untied end using two levers.

It's the only way I can get Conti 5000's on my rims, and the 5000 TL's are even tighter.

Barry
Yup. That totally happened!
Old 06-24-21, 07:20 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I carry at least one spare tube, and a patch kit. Spare tube is for when I need to fix a puncture quickly, like in inclement weather or if on the edge of a busy highway. Patch kit is for if I have more time, and to repaid any punctures later, which then become my spare tube.
Old 06-24-21, 07:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I don’t think a chance encounter with a random piece of debris tells you anything about durability as much as it does luck.
Old 06-24-21, 09:05 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t think a chance encounter with a random piece of debris tells you anything about durability as much as it does luck.
That's exactly why I mentioned that it was hardly an isolated incident, but reported by enough others to make it a well-known deficiency in the tire.
Old 06-24-21, 09:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
That's exactly why I mentioned that it was hardly an isolated incident, but reported by enough others to make it a well-known deficiency in the tire.
I don’t think getting a flat with a lightweight road racing tire— particularly one billed as race-day specific as the Corsa Speed is— is a deficiency either. Flats are random occurrences caused by debris on the road, and unless specific and extreme steps are taken to guard against them, they’re going to happen, no matter what, if you hit the right kind of debris in the right way. You can reduce them with thicker, heavier tread and more materials, but it’s silly to think that a tire billed as the lightest and fastest in its category, as the Corsa Speed is, is “deficient” if it flats on public roadways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.