Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Headlamp for night riding

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-30-21, 07:20 AM
Stateguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I posted a question for lights to use for night time riding
a lot of you recommended using two lights
so I brought a handle bar mount ( olight 3500) have not used it yet
So now I am thinking of a head lamp instead of a helmet mount. So I can use the headlamp for other things at night
Just wondering if anyone uses a headlamp and how it performs for them
don’t really want to mount a flashlight on my helmet
Old 11-30-21, 08:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
I have used a headlamp in addition to a bar mounted light. but I used it around my neck so that I could see things like my bike computer. didn't keep it on for riding purposes. I think I remember I was able to wear it on my forehead just under my helmet but it didn't fit well enough to keep it there. if your are thinking of strapping it to you helmet, then maybe that would work. but a bike specific model might be better. I know a cpl of my lights came with additional accessories (head strap) so the lights could be used off the bike. those lights have external batteries so I never used them as head lamps. I have a cpl of decent headlamps for use around the car at night etc. it is handy to have one around my neck for seeing things. but I've since rigged a bike specific helmet light. so, can you get something to do both jobs? probably but I can't point you to one. there are lots of options for bike specific helmet lights tho. maybe just get one of those & a headlamp for home use

check out the Magicshine ALLTY Mini Front Bike Light

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-03-21 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 08:52 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Cateye Volt series comes with a nice helmet mount.

Headlamp with a strap won't work very well with a helmet.
Old 11-30-21, 09:43 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I've seen the hardcore mtb'ers here riding at night on very technical black diamond terrain with a bar mount light, as well as a helmet mount light that connects to a battery that's stored in their backpack. A quick Google found this article: MTB helmet lights
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-30-21, 11:36 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The ideal setup is both. I use the brighter light on the handlebar and the less bright light on the helmet mount. You want the bright light lower so it will cast some shadows and you can see the terrain. If you have the brighter light on the helmet it's so high up that it washes out the terrain...you can't see small bumps, rocks, etc as well. The helmet mounted light is for sharp turns and being able to look where your bike isn't pointed.
If I were going to ride w/ only 1 light it would definitely be on the handlebar.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-30-21, 12:46 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The ideal setup is both. I use the brighter light on the handlebar and the less bright light on the helmet mount. You want the bright light lower so it will cast some shadows and you can see the terrain. If you have the brighter light on the helmet it's so high up that it washes out the terrain...you can't see small bumps, rocks, etc as well. The helmet mounted light is for sharp turns and being able to look where your bike isn't pointed.
If I were going to ride w/ only 1 light it would definitely be on the handlebar.
Ditto. I do a lot of night riding and I had a Black Diamond helmet mounted and now a Duracell helmet mount that is much brighter and last longer than the BD. My bar mounted light is still the brightest, but it's nice being able to look at something to the side, especially people and pets.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-30-21, 08:12 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Been using a Ledlenser for some months - https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...neo6r-headlamp
now in REI outlet...
not really on any trail, just local unilluminated bike path and dirt path... works great for me - good spread of light vs spot,
good, strong light level, even on 'low'. stays put on head, and USB rechargeable, supposed to be waterproof - hasn't really rained much out here...
comes with a chest strap, if you want to use that as alternate - target market is focused on runners group, but seems to work well for any activity.
This will become my primary for backpacking...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 12-02-21, 09:17 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
With the ledlenser, are you attaching that whole thing to your helmet? Or how do you wear it? I wish I could find a 200ish lumen neutral white 18650 or other helmet light, to have only one light for nontechnical dirt/gravel paths.
Old 12-02-21, 11:25 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
With the ledlenser, are you attaching that whole thing to your helmet? Or how do you wear it? I wish I could find a 200ish lumen neutral white 18650 or other helmet light, to have only one light for nontechnical dirt/gravel paths.
I'm not saying buy from ebay, but if you put in a 200 lumen headlamp search the possibilities will make your head spin. Find one you think will work and do some research on it, especially what the reviews say. There are lots out there. I had a 180 lumen until my latest crash. I decided to go 600 lumen when I replaced it and what a world of difference. Of course it has lesser settings so you don't need to have it super bright all the time. I also prefer using rechargeable bats over USB on headlights because they seem to last longer than the built in bats. Tail lights I'm the opposite on that. Have great luck with USB recharge tail lights for both brightness and longevity of charge. Good luck
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-02-21, 11:55 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
so, with some thinking, I'm realizing that the LEDlenser might have a limitation... I have a small size helmet, and the one I use for night riding is a more modern design which has a rounded back, not the large 'venting' ports of older design ones (which I also have). The LEDlenser headband has more than enough adjustment to fit/sit nicely on the helmet, brow to back, on mine and with the extra adjustment available might also fit up to a large size modern shape helmet... not sure though. Thing I really like is the Battery compartment has a softrubber cover which sits snug on the helmet back - and never budges, no matter how much I rattle over rough terrain spots !
Before the LEDlenser I used another USB rechargeable head lamp, which has a HUGE headband adjustment !!! Prolly large enough to fit my motorcycle helmet !!! LOL! Also has a good amount of light, last long, very serviceable... I did add some Silicone beads (squeeze tube stuff) on a few spots on the headband, to assure band would not slip, while riding... works fine
Having a hard time finding THAT particular light again on the web... It has both WHite and Red light modes.... and will FIT any helmet size, no problem!

... I now prefer the LEDenser because the light beam is broad and nicely shows good peripheral vision. I can;t seem to 'out-ride' the light beam, at any reasonable speed, except fast road downhill.
I also use a handlebar light along with headlamp...
Thing with the other assortment of these rechargeable headlamps is that some have a shorter band adjustment... I have one which is fine on any head, but would never fit on a helmet...
Here's a pic of the headlamp with the HUGE band adjustment range (you may need to put a few dabs of silcone along inside perimeter of headband to stop movement...)

USB rechargeable headlamp

Hope this helps...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-03-21, 03:51 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Currently OLIGHT RN1500 on handlebar and Outbound Lighting hangover on helmet... waiting for OL to release their detour light or might spring for the EVO handlebar light.
Old 12-03-21, 06:06 PM
Stateguy

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for responding
I brought the olight 3500 1/2 off
briefly tried it tonight (didn’t use it long)
seemed bright
i think I want a light for my peripheral vision also
Old 01-14-22, 08:50 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts

Fenix HL40R 600 attached to helmet.

Likes For LeeG:
Old 01-15-22, 02:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Bright isn't the only thing make sure you have something with a useful beam pattern. Certainly these days it is brighter is better and not as much attention is posed to the actual pattern of the beam. You can be bright as hell but if it puts the light in a poor space it won't help you much.

A headlamp for camping probably also is not ideal because it would push your helmet out of the way or maybe not mount as well to it. Having tried in the past I was not happy with the results.