Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

riding on windy days

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

riding on windy days

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 06:21 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Personally, when it's windy I'm more worried about being hit by flying debris, particularly tree branches (or, entire trees). It's pretty wooded around where I live, so, maybe, gusts > 35 mph or so?
When I'm visiting Rhode Island, there are far fewer trees so it is a bit safer feeling.
As to wind being demoralizing - it is just a question of mindset. Yes, you'll go more slowly and cover less ground. But, (a) you can work on your form (getting aero; pedaling circles, relaxing face and neck, etc.); and (b) you ARE going more slowly, so there's more time to look around and observe the scenery along your route.
I had quite an interesting ride in RI on a very windy day. I was riding directly into a stiff headwind, chewing on my stem, going about 10 mph on flat ground, and it was quite fun. Not from speed, but from battling the wind and seeing things I had not noticed before along the roads.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 01-06-22, 06:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Wind gives you a better workout. On windy days I plan my ride so as to ride against the wind, and then ride home with the wind, which helps to push me along.

I try to do this, but over a long ride, the wind direction often shifts. When it works out, it's great, but when the wind ends up in your face in both directions, it really is awful.
Old 01-06-22, 06:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Avoid deep profile aero rims and you'll be fine or choose "sheltered" routes.

Like tunnels? Geography is what it is.
Old 01-06-22, 06:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
I was planning on riding today but bailed cuz too windy. They say 15mph w/gusts to 30. I took a walk instead, and yea, tis windy. Decided Im too old (66) to risk a ride.
@ what point do you cancel a ride cuz of the wind? Ever crash cuz of wind (I havent)?
My bike generally has a rear disc wheel and 60mm front wheel. 30 mph is about where I cut it but it depends if the wind is gusting. I have never crashed from wind.

The most demoralizing wind I ever encountered was about a 600 mile stretch from Dubois, Wyoming to Pueblo, Colorado where the headwind ranged from 20-50 mph with one whole day at 45+. A tourist coming the other way stopped and said, "Sucks to be you, I'm going 38 mph and not even pedaling" while I was on the aero bars at 7-8 mph consuming 200-220 watts.....hour after hour after hour all day long

It is all a mindset.
Old 01-06-22, 07:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Hills are tough, but wind is demoralizing.

I have never fallen due to wind, but 4 years ago I was behind a guy in a gravel race that was blown over due to wind. It was late October with temp in the 40s and wind was a steady 25mph with gusts to 40. He went down a hill into a little valley and at the bottom just went flying directly right off his bike into the grassy ditch alongside the road. Some gust must have hit him in that valley all of a sudden. He was a bit bloody and shocked. I had to tell him what happened because he had no idea how he fell(he was looking at his bike and the road to see what he hit).
Even bloody, he then beat me by a bunch of miles.
That YouTube clip I posted ... on that ride, I watched a couple riders just crash on flat & straight roads. We had the added challenge of fresh soft gravel on the roads. Riders are fighting with the balance of added weight on the front wheel so the wind wouldn't sweep the wheel away from you and lifting weight on the front wheel so you don't sink into the soft gravel. I was riding my drop-bar Pugsley and still found the soft gravel difficult and 4" tires catch a crosswind like a deep section aero wheel, so crosswinds really sucked! That was my first DNF, the headwinds slowed everyone to a crawl and temps quickly got up to 90F ... I ran outta water with many miles to the first water stop (we checked farms without luck). That was the day I bought my first CamelBak!
Old 01-06-22, 07:55 AM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I try to do this, but over a long ride, the wind direction often shifts. When it works out, it's great, but when the wind ends up in your face in both directions, it really is awful.
Spoken like a true New Englander! On windy days here on the coast of Maine, it seems like no matter which way I turn, the wind is always head-on. Someone up above used the word "demoralizing." I could not agree more.
Likes For jrg1244:
Old 01-06-22, 08:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
... the headwinds slowed everyone to a crawl...
That's why I won't ride on a windy day. Have tried it numerous times and only found it to be frustrating.
Old 01-06-22, 08:47 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
That's why I won't ride on a windy day. Have tried it numerous times and only found it to be frustrating.
For me, windy days are training days. I race gravel, and I'm not the fair-weather racer ... so if it's windy on race day, I race! I'm all about training in all conditions so I'm prepared for racing.

It's been said in this thread, before I started racing, I was a daily bike-commuter. This got me started with the mindset to ride in all conditions ... and learn what I need to be successful in the conditions on the day.

Now if your not a daily commuter or a racer, feel free to stay off the bike on windy days. Frau Toad is that rider too, she will skip riding windy days and I totally get it!

Not exactly on topic, but I will not race on 90F plus days (note this is 90F AND high humidity, MN doesn't do dry heat). No matter how much training I do, my body can't handle endurance races in the heat. So I do have limits, just not the wind.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-07-22 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-06-22, 08:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedneck
I commute so not riding in wind isn’t an option. Do take longer sheltered way if headwindis strong.
Same is true when one is touring unless one has no schedule to keep.

I changed my route for the first day of my two-week starting in northern VT back in September. Headwind was steady around 20 mph with higher gusts. Had plans to meet a friend that afternoon for some sailing. My planned route started out with a fair number of miles along the shore of Lake Champlain. Thought better of it. Stayed inland and took a U.S. Highway to get to my destination more quickly.
Old 01-06-22, 08:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jrg1244
Spoken like a true New Englander! On windy days here on the coast of Maine, it seems like no matter which way I turn, the wind is always head-on. Someone up above used the word "demoralizing." I could not agree more.

I do a 2-way ride where the turn around point is Hampton Beach, NH, exactly 50 miles east of my home. I vividly remember two times where the winds shifted from being from the ocean to being from land right as I turned around. It's almost comically ironic when it occurs, but it definitely is not funny at the time. OTOH, on those rare days where the tailwind turns around just as you do, you end up feeling like Superman. That almost never happens to me, though, as I intentionally will do the in-your-face part on the front end of the ride and the shift is way too unpredictable to deliberately time it that way if you start with the wind at your back.

If the forecast is for winds, though, I usually try to pick a route where it's cross-winds. That did not work well much this year for me, the winds just seemed to be out to get me no matter what I did.
Old 01-06-22, 09:06 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
I'm not trying to N+1 anybody, but...

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Hills are tough, but wind is demoralizing.
You (eventually) get to the top of a hill. You can ride for days and never 'get to the top' of a headwind.

Likes For tcs:
Old 01-06-22, 10:05 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I had one when I was 4 and gave it up for a Schwinn.

Originally Posted by tcs

You (eventually) get to the top of a hill. You can ride for days and never 'get to the top' of a headwind.

https://youtu.be/AKpKZ60antE
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-06-22, 10:54 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I'm sadistic and enjoy riding in somewhat challenging conditions. The hardest part of riding in 25-30+ mph cross winds is when you have to lean/steer heavily into the crosswind to stay upright, and then the wind suddenly stops coming from that direction, or even changes/swirls to the opposite side, and now you're leaning heavily but there's no longer wind resistance, so you quickly swerve in that direction. I had to abort a ride up Mt Evans this year due to fast 25+ mph crosswinds at 13,000' that were blowing me into the car's lane of travel due to this. and I just couldn't counteract the crosswinds effectively enough to hold my line on the shoulder. I like being spanked, but not spanked to death.

Headwinds on the other hand are just extra resistance, like climbing a hill you can't see. And then there's HEADWINDS that can turn a bike into a kite...

Last edited by Riveting; 01-06-22 at 11:01 AM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 01-06-22, 11:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tcs

Who puts pedals on a tretcher?

I kid, I kid!
Old 01-06-22, 11:22 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,497 Posts
no prob. 70+ yo.

50mph headwinds no prob. if your riding a tank,crosswinds no prob. either.the advantage of winds is a shorter distance for a good workout.Michigan you have to adapt if you want to ride outdoors.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 01-06-22, 11:29 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs

50mph headwinds no prob. if your riding a tank,crosswinds no prob. either.the advantage of winds is a shorter distance for a good workout.Michigan you have to adapt if you want to ride outdoors.
I just yell at the clouds. Adapting isn't for everybody.
Old 01-06-22, 04:44 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I would also bail under those conditions.
Another option is to find a hilly area to ride which can effectively block a good amount of wind.
Old 01-06-22, 05:20 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
IDK ... I started riding again in 2013. For 8 years, I hated wind. Last year, it just didn't bother me as much. I was able to just keep pedaling at a comfortable speed; it was just that 'comfortable speed' was much lower than I had thought it was. My limit was 10 MPH wind until 2020, 15 MPH in 2020, and became 20 MPH in the Spring of 2021. I'll stay home if gusts are predicted to be above 30, though, because the start or end of a gust could throw me into traffic. I turned 77 last year.
Old 01-13-22, 08:47 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I've decided that there is no limit for me any longer. With my car in the shop for over a month, I had no choice but to ride to work any time it wasnt raining. One of my more recent commutes had 20mph sustained winds with gusts over 50mph. I usually ride a big heavy cargo bike and that can help or hinder depending on the wind direction. It was incredibly slow going, but I managed to do it and without getting blown over.
Old 01-13-22, 09:58 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I was planning on riding today but bailed cuz too windy. They say 15mph w/gusts to 30. I took a walk instead, and yea, tis windy. Decided Im too old (66) to risk a ride.
@ what point do you cancel a ride cuz of the wind? Ever crash cuz of wind (I havent)?
When it's that windy I go down to Corwin or Loveland, and ride the bike path depending on which way the wind is blowing (I like a tailwind on the return trip). You being from SW Ohio you'll know that section of bikeway is sheltered by trees for the most part.
Old 01-13-22, 10:12 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
My own limit on cycling in the wind: 20mph. Anything more than that, and I feel I'm at some risk of toppling over if the gusts get variable enough. (And on a public street with other vehicles, that could be a very bad day.) I don't mind the extra work, normally, as I do it for fitness and general health, in addition to getting from A to B. The A-to-B aspect can be complicated if it's too windy, as it'll delay arrival at the destination. But other than that I don't much mind. Harder, perhaps, but a better (different type of) workout. It's all good.

Of course, wind can be far too great to make anything enjoyable. Once did a (running) distance race in ~35mph+ winds, which gusted to well over that. Tough run, particularly as the "home stretch" portion was back toward town along a very flat, very unprotected stretch of country road, right into the teeth of the wind. What a nasty-hard day that was. (Wouldn't have ridden a bike on that day, by choice. Too windy by half.)

Last edited by Clyde1820; 01-14-22 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 10:17 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
in other news...farts stink.
Farting on a windy day is winning
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-13-22, 10:20 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
That strategy will get you zero rides here. Corpus Christi is flat but our avg wind speed is ~15 mps. Wind is our hills and most everyone rides into the mid 20s if the gusts are reasonable. My everyday route is 12.5 miles into the wind but a fun ride back.
Old 01-13-22, 11:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Rode one windy day here with 25-30 sustained with gusts up to 40. Going into it was dicey but manageable but decided to stay away from my gravel route due to large trees potential to lose branches. But with a tailwind I set a PR and a #1 for my age group on a mile and a half segment, so it wasn’t all bad.

Old 01-13-22, 12:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I didnt read the whole long list of posts, but remember, a low tadpole trike is far safer, and least affected by wind. The safety part is that if the wind is from a riders right hand, it it is trying to blow the rider over in front of traffic coming from behind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.