Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Joy of Rim Brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Joy of Rim Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-22, 12:00 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
The Joy of Rim Brakes

There is a long and boring story about why I ended up with rim brakes on my Surly Troll that I won't go into and at first I thought I would only have rim brakes for a year or two at most.

My previous experience with Rim Brakes were with Alivio level rim brakes I believe and from around 1997 and they didn't overly impress me, but this time I was going with XT level rim brakes and I was keen to see how well these did.

I was actually shocked by how well they worked and thought they were definitely better than low end Shimano disc brakes and seemed to be at the level of mid level Shimano disc brakes I had on my Merida Big Nine XT Edition hardtail.

One of my concerns about rim brakes was that eventually you wear out your wheels, where with disc brakes, you only wear out rotors.

Some folk on these forums seemed to think your rim brake wheels would last for many years and tens of thousands of miles/kilometres, maybe even as long as 100,000kms.

I can't be sure how many kilometres I have racked up on my bike, as I am not a high mileage rider and I have had my Surly Troll on the road since approx early 2019, and am still on my original rim brake pads.

Then a bit over a week ago, the braking surface of my rear tyre, broke away from my rim and flatted my tube instantly.

Anyway, I thought I would share some pics of my wheel and seek feedback on how many people here have had something similar happen to them.

I had a half decent Mavic rim on my bike as well.

Old 03-13-22, 12:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Are they carbon rims with an aluminum brake track?
Old 03-13-22, 12:12 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I think I have never seen that.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-13-22, 12:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Some folk on these forums seemed to think your rim brake wheels would last for many years and tens of thousands of miles/kilometres,
Many of ours have. Yours looks to be an anomaly.
Old 03-13-22, 12:37 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Are they carbon rims with an aluminum brake track?
No, they are all aluminium rims, Mavic EX 721.
Old 03-13-22, 12:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If this happened on the front wheel you could of had a serious crash.
Old 03-13-22, 12:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Some folk on these forums seemed to think your rim brake wheels would last for many years and tens of thousands of miles/kilometres, maybe even as long as 100,000kms.
Some folks just like to inflate their numbers....Anybody who rides a lot especially in winter an in dirty conditions is going to wear out their rims a lot sooner than few thousand miles.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-13-22, 01:58 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I've been working on and been around bikes for over 50 years and I've seen some strange and weird things but that's something I have never seen before. I'm wondering if it was a latent defect in the rim.
Old 03-13-22, 02:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
You don't want to be riding when that happens. The colonel's brake track stayed attached at both ends. I've never seen that before. Every one I've seen has broken free at one end and flailed like a reaper if the bike was being ridden when it happened. I've seen CF chainstays cut deeply. A bike where I am certain the rider went for stitches.

If you ride in the PNW with rim brakes, you will wear brake tracks to nothing unless you stop using that wheel before you get there. The dust here is volcanic and basically grinding compound. I used to get 2 winters from my commuter rims riding 150 miles per week in the city. At that point I'd have a deep concave track. Went too long once and was lucky to be in the house when the rim exploded. That one would have been stitches, and ruined paint. (Steel frame.) My Mooney went 17,000 miles of mainly summer dry in Seattle when I caught a pavement irregularity and collapse the sewup rear rim. No brake track left. Several long abscesses you could see through. (Sewup rims don't support the tire air pressure so they brake track fail far more safely.)
Old 03-13-22, 03:37 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Looks more like rim failure at the corner where the brake track meets the spoke surface and not brake track wear. Well unless you pads were adjusted to far in. I've worn down two mountain bike rear rim brake rims such that they failed. They broke in the track. The aluminum wears in a concave shape if pads are positioned correctly. At least I had tubes. Anyway I don't know if I have pictures but they failed where the aluminum got too thin. Not like yours and crack and separate at that edge. My guess is the wheel was overloaded or took quite a few big hits to fatigue the aluminum.

Still that sucks and give an advantage to disc brakes. Now is the itme for me to look at a front wheel upgrade to disc. My old Tora fork will is set up for rim now but will take disc. Oh but then the silver Ringle hub has to come off. It's been though two rims. ;-)

Last edited by biker128pedal; 03-13-22 at 03:45 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 03-13-22, 04:09 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
It happened to me, on my commuter, after some 30,000kms of all-weather riding. The rim didn't break suddenly, but bulged outwards hitting the brake pad. I was about 2km from home, but unhooked the V-brake and made it.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-13-22, 05:01 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
It happens. Not at all likely to happen to someone who is not racking up big miles.

When it happens relatively early the culprit is usually a stone or shard of metal embedded in the brake pad. Now that this has happened you will keep an eye on that forevermore.

Excess tire pressure contributes. It takes a lot and it takes a lot over a long period of time. Many riders do seriously overinflate.

Erratic spoke tension contributes. Even when it purely looks like the sidewall.

Only time I ever did this on my own bike part of the problem was a bad rim. Mavic has been coasting on ancient reputation for a long time. I don’t read BRAIN closely enough to know who owned them when your rim was made. It has just been a brand name in play quite a while. Don’t replace wth Mavic.

With good rims and good practice the rim is hollowed out noticeably a long time before failure. Any ordinary inspection shows the problem before it happens.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 03-13-22, 05:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Rim wear from braking is greatly affected by the conditions in which you ride. If you ride on clean, dry pavement, you can certainly expect your rims to "last for many years and tens of thousands of miles/kilometres." If you ride a lot in wet and/or gritty conditions, your rims will wear out much faster.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-13-22, 05:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
The danger is real. After a mere 8.5 years of commuting, errands, day rides and thousands of miles of full loaded touring in all sorts of weather on many different surfaces the rims of my LHT needed replacing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-22, 06:11 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
It happened to me, on my commuter, after some 30,000kms of all-weather riding. The rim didn't break suddenly, but bulged outwards hitting the brake pad. I was about 2km from home, but unhooked the V-brake and made it.
This happened on the only rim I wore out as well. The brake started rubbing and saw the rim budge when I investigated.

No idea how many miles on those wheels, I had bought them used.
Old 03-13-22, 07:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Some folks just like to inflate their numbers....Anybody who rides a lot especially in winter an in dirty conditions is going to wear out their rims a lot sooner than few thousand miles.
I agree that some folks inflate their numbers…but in the other direction. In 40+ years of commuting, winter riding, mountain biking, loaded touring, loaded mountain bike touring, and over all abuse, I’ve worn out 2 or maybe 3 brake surfaces on rims. I’ve had far more rims fail due to cracking of the eyelets…and not many of them…than due to failed brake tracks.

But I also use brakes sparingly. I can go years without replacing pads…and I live in a hilly city with mountains just a few miles away.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-13-22, 08:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you're getting less than a "few thousand miles" from your rims, you are doing something very, very wrong. No matter the conditions.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-13-22, 09:59 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
You know what i like about rim brakes?

Absolutely nothing!
Old 03-13-22, 10:55 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
No, they are all aluminium rims, Mavic EX 721.
I had the exact same experience many years ago. The rim failed in the same way and the tube blew out exactly like yours. I’ve also blown a tube from overheating a rim on a long, fully loaded touring descent. Such is the nature of the technology.

I realize that rim brakes meet the needs for many, and back in the day we didn’t have a choice, but once disc brakes became a reality I couldn’t wait to get on board. In the years since, the worst that’s happened is a blued rotor. I can live with that.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 03-13-22, 11:24 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
I've seen a few rim failures over the many years, but almost all could be ascribed to rim damage done prior and just a few likely due to rim material failure.
Never seen one where the rim was worn enough to part, except in one case where the rider had their pads improperly angled, and the very hard pads had cut the braking surface closer , at the lower/inner part of the brake surface.
Pics don;t really tell us too much - but a hard thing to do without hands on.
A possible is that there was a flaw in the rim, and possibly an undetect 'hit' to that one side, and a highly inflated tire, might cause the rim to bulge and peel outward.
Alu has a tendency to fracture, then continue that fracture along the stress lines - in this case being any light grooves worn into the braking surface, by the pads.
What pressures do you run your tires?.
There seems to be plenty of sidewall material in the visible section, if it's 1.5 to 2 mm, that's plenty material.
I'd mic sections in that failure area and determine if there are any 'thin' spots. Not that that will mean anything... You're still gonna need a new rim...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 03-13-22, 11:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
I had a similar failure on my commuter years ago. It blew while sitting in the garage. The braking surface was clearly worn down, compromising the strength of the rim.
Old 03-14-22, 12:25 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by cyclezen
I've seen a few rim failures over the many years, but almost all could be ascribed to rim damage done prior and just a few likely due to rim material failure.
Never seen one where the rim was worn enough to part, except in one case where the rider had their pads improperly angled, and the very hard pads had cut the braking surface closer , at the lower/inner part of the brake surface.
Pics don;t really tell us too much - but a hard thing to do without hands on.
A possible is that there was a flaw in the rim, and possibly an undetect 'hit' to that one side, and a highly inflated tire, might cause the rim to bulge and peel outward.
Alu has a tendency to fracture, then continue that fracture along the stress lines - in this case being any light grooves worn into the braking surface, by the pads.
What pressures do you run your tires?.
There seems to be plenty of sidewall material in the visible section, if it's 1.5 to 2 mm, that's plenty material.
I'd mic sections in that failure area and determine if there are any 'thin' spots. Not that that will mean anything... You're still gonna need a new rim...
Ride On
Yuri
Since I have been using the bike with that wheel on it, I have at times been riding with high pressure for a 2" tyre, where I will pump it up to 75 to 80 psi and wait till the pressure drops to 45 to 50 psi(takes about 3 weeks) and pump it back up to the 75 to 80 psi and repeat.

Additionally I am a heavy clyde and in recent months have been using my bike to haul back groceries and I will have 8 x 2 litre bottles of Pepsi Max(approx 16kgs) on a rack basket over the rear wheel and I have a very large backpack that when filled up with the sort of stuff I buy, gets to be anywhere from 22kg to 30kg in weight, so I have been putting a big load on my rear wheel in particular.
Old 03-14-22, 04:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I’ve both seen this failure mode and had it happen, though that was back around ‘89 or so. My brake track didn’t rip that far around the rim, but bulged along an inch or so and separated from the rim just a bit, directly below the bulge.

Anyway, it’s a rare failure, so I wouldn’t put too much into it, like fretting about how to prevent it. Replace the rim with a higher quality hoop and ride on. Like, I don’t know what a Mavic EX 721 is, so maybe compare that to a Mavic CXL or Open Pro, for example, to see which quality elements may distinguish them.

Be aware it may be less expensive and make more sense to buy a new, pre-built wheelset than have a shop get and lace in a new rim.
Old 03-14-22, 05:07 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Did you over inflate the tube?
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-14-22, 07:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Since I have been using the bike with that wheel on it, I have at times been riding with high pressure for a 2" tyre, where I will pump it up to 75 to 80 psi and wait till the pressure drops to 45 to 50 psi(takes about 3 weeks) and pump it back up to the 75 to 80 psi and repeat.

Additionally I am a heavy clyde and in recent months have been using my bike to haul back groceries and I will have 8 x 2 litre bottles of Pepsi Max(approx 16kgs) on a rack basket over the rear wheel and I have a very large backpack that when filled up with the sort of stuff I buy, gets to be anywhere from 22kg to 30kg in weight, so I have been putting a big load on my rear wheel in particular.
Thread closed. Do you realize the risk of over inflating? This isn't a rim brake issue.

A tire/wheel issue landed me in the trauma center with 10 broken bones and two surgeries.
Likes For GhostRider62:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.