Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Old 04-08-22, 05:15 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,765 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
i hope it is well marked at the south end of Cayucos. i get confused there.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38972453
Not as bad as it seems. We got through it on Touroica without directions by memory from the past couple of "actual" Eroica's.

The main street of Cayucas is Ocean. Just before you're about to get on Hwy 1 (freeway at that point), turn left on 13th at the underpass, right on the other side, follow the bike path by the cemetary, turn left on Old Creek Road. Go to the ridewithgps link, grab the little yellow man and plop him on this section to visualize. Seems confusing, but all the roads funnel you onto the route.

One tip is to print out the turn by turn directions and carry it in your pocket "just in case". It's easier to get lost in Templeton through the right turn off of 46, IMO.

Last edited by gugie; 04-09-22 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 04-08-22, 06:05 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 177 Posts
3 weeks to go and it looks like it's actually going to happen, so I guess I'd better check in. I haven't put in enough long miles and big hills this year, so I'll be be riding the Piedras Blancas route, maybe starting early and going down to Cayucos, or going past the lighthouse up towards Ragged Point. My wife and I are staying at one of the motels on Moonstone Drive.

On Sunday, look for the blue Nishiki SunTour-Montrose Cycle Club jersey and a silver & blue Nishiki Professional.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 04-08-22, 08:33 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
3 weeks to go and it looks like it's actually going to happen, so I guess I'd better check in. I haven't put in enough long miles and big hills this year, so I'll be be riding the Piedras Blancas route, maybe starting early and going down to Cayucos, or going past the lighthouse up towards Ragged Point. My wife and I are staying at one of the motels on Moonstone Drive.

On Sunday, look for the blue Nishiki SunTour-Montrose Cycle Club jersey and a silver & blue Nishiki Professional.
I call BS. You have more climbing ability in you on an off day than most of us after a month of raw eggs, steak and daily 20% inclines.
Come ride with us!
Old 04-08-22, 08:49 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
Any word on the Concours registration? My last info from Bob F. on the 29th said the Italian side was working on it. Only 3 weeks left.
Old 04-09-22, 08:20 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Phew! I was worried that my mechanic wouldn't show, my bike would break down, and you wouldn't be around to fix it!

You driving over Friday or Saturday? If you can get to Cambria by 11 on Saturday, it would be great if you could join us for a short ride to San Simeon and back.
Old 04-09-22, 11:15 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Ok, the count down has begun! I guess I can legitimately get excited. Who am I fooling, I’ve been stoked for months! The Colnago is ready , just need to finish up the pedals and new white leather straps. I am still riding with the steel spindle Superleggeri but will change to the Ti spindle and new straps just before the event. I have increased my Sunday rides to 42 miles and feeling pretty strong with that so the PB route should not be an issue , as well as any pre-riding that happens. I may do one more climb up one of our canyons just to boost my climbing but probably not necessary. I may bring another bike just to have a back up. I don’t think I need it ….but , you know…..N+1.

From last weekend 42 miles
Joe, that Colnago is a beauty. I'm looking to seeing it and you, assuming I can actually get there. I will not know if I am go or no-go for this year until the middle of that week. I still have my registration and I have a hotel room all booked and I do not plan on canceling anything, but this work BS continues to play hell with important stuff, like bike riding.
Old 04-09-22, 12:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Joe, that Colnago is a beauty. I'm looking to seeing it and you, assuming I can actually get there. I will not know if I am go or no-go for this year until the middle of that week. I still have my registration and I have a hotel room all booked and I do not plan on canceling anything, but this work BS continues to play hell with important stuff, like bike riding.
Cough, cough, not feeling well boss. Might be better if I just quarantine for a few days...
Old 04-09-22, 01:31 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I know it there is any Rich can be there, he will be there. I am hoping it works out , I really look forward to riding with him as I have on the previous EC’s . I mean the earth won’t make it if Rich and don’t solve all the problems as we have for the last several years!🤞
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-09-22, 09:25 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Phew! I was worried that my mechanic wouldn't show, my bike would break down, and you wouldn't be around to fix it!

You driving over Friday or Saturday? If you can get to Cambria by 11 on Saturday, it would be great if you could join us for a short ride to San Simeon and back.
For now we have reservations for Saturday and Sunday nights so we'd arrive some time Saturday morning. . I'm negotiating with SWMBO for Friday night too.
Old 04-09-22, 10:50 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Cough, cough, not feeling well boss. Might be better if I just quarantine for a few days...
Unfortunately, I'd have to say that not just the boss, but also to the clients and at least one judge. It wouldn't be pretty.

We shall see how it works out. I mean, I sure hope I can be there and will be if at all possible; I have three years' worth of straightening out to do with @Kabuki12.
Old 04-10-22, 02:32 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
3 weeks to go and it looks like it's actually going to happen, so I guess I'd better check in. I haven't put in enough long miles and big hills this year, so I'll be be riding the Piedras Blancas route, maybe starting early and going down to Cayucos, or going past the lighthouse up towards Ragged Point.
I rode 45 miles with just 2700 feet of climbing today and I was starting to bonk toward the end. What have I got left to prepare? Three weeks? That should be fine. I'm signed up for the Santa Lucia route. I figure I'm going to end up walking on Cypress anyway, so I just need to train for the Santa Rita climb and the distance, right?
Old 04-10-22, 06:21 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
These are the best:
https://thefeed.com/products/bonk-br...nt=81775427592

Better than Cliff Bloks
Old 04-10-22, 02:20 PM
Kabuki12

^^^^^^ Mmmmm, caffeine yes ! I use the Nuun with caffeine. I think I may try those, probably get them at one of my local bike shops. Lighthouse? What lighthouse, I passed that two hours ago!! Looks like Big Sur ahead….
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-10-22, 02:54 PM
Kabuki12

So I rode up one of our canyons today on my way to Ventura just to get some more climbing in and I actually set a few personal records so the extra miles are working. Yesterday I overhauled the Ti spindle SL pedals (freakin lil’ balls).

I bought these (pedals) from a fellow BF member and they are in good shape . I will put the traps and new white leather straps on/ install on bike next week.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-10-22, 06:31 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Supply of Bonk Breaker products had always been spotty. I get them from that link above: The Feed. They used to be local to me in Hermosa Beach.

PSA: Pump your tires up on 5/1. I did some dirt/gravel climbing repeats this weekend and being careless, as is my style, I pinch flatted with 60 lbs. in my 32mm GKs on my Nova bike. At 155, I will have at least 75-70 front and rear. And on my Eroica bike with 26mm GKs I had 100psi front and rear with out a problem today on the same gravel climb/descent (other than being a tad freaked out in toe clips and straps while climbing in the loose stuff).
Old 04-10-22, 08:48 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
Yes. Any grade over 15% is pretty hard on asphalt, but on dirt/gravel...
as you all probably know, if you are climbing steep sections, out of the saddle and your weight all the way forward, the lack of weight out back makes it very easy to lose traction.
A tricky balance problem! Weight back to maintain traction, but awkward center of gravity.
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 04-10-22, 09:13 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 318 Posts
Started to try and focus on getting some mountain climbing in before Cambria. Went out with my Marine buddy and got some hills in over at Azusa. Im going to try all the way to Crystal lake next saturday...hopefully.

Old 04-10-22, 11:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Unfortunately, I'd have to say that not just the boss, but also to the clients and at least one judge. It wouldn't be pretty.

We shall see how it works out. I mean, I sure hope I can be there and will be if at all possible; I have three years' worth of straightening out to do with @Kabuki12.
Hope it works out, would be great to ride more than from Ragged Point to Cambria with you this time!
Old 04-11-22, 05:45 PM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
So today I (more or less) rode the shortest planned route of the 2020 Eroica California (Piedras Blancas route). I’d downloaded the .gpx file to my Garmin and used it to ride the route. Between the computer and me there were a handful of navigational errors, but I got about 95% of the route right, and ended up going 40mi instead of 36.2mi, so I’ll say it was a decent simulation. As you all said, the route isn’t difficult, almost all flat, with grades of mostly 1%-2%, but the rainy foggy weather, a wicked crosswind, and slipping saddle tilt made the whole thing kind of miserable; not the pleasant seaside ride I was expecting. I was super slow as usual; took me 4 hours to ride 40 mi., including a water refill break, a Clif Bar break, and an early stop to fiddle with a glitchy derailleur. I’ll try to saddle angle slippage and hope the weather gets a lot better before May 1.

Also learned: wet wool jerseys and shorts smell like petting zoo sheep. 😆

Last edited by FML123; 04-11-22 at 06:31 PM.
Likes For FML123:
Old 04-11-22, 06:13 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FML123
So today I (more or less) rode the shortest planned route of the 2020 Eroica California (Piedras Blancas route). I’d downloaded the .gpx file to my Garmin and used it to ride the route. Between the computer and me there were a handful of navigational errors, but I got about 95% of the route right, and ended up going 40mi instead of 36.2mi, so I’ll say it was a decent simulation. As you all said, the route isn’t difficult, almost all flat, with grades of mostly 1%-2%, but the rainy foggy weather, a wicked crosswind, and slipping saddle tilt made the whole thing kind of miserable; not the pleasant seaside ride I was expecting. I was super slow as usual; took me 4 hours to ride 40 mi., including a water refill break, a Clif Bar break, and an early stop to fiddle with a glitchy derailleur. I’ll try to saddle angle slippage and hope the weather gets a lot better before May 1.
Considering it was in the high 40's low 50's degrees F today, ya did damn good.
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 04-11-22, 06:25 PM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I don’t know about ‘damn good,’ but thanks for the kind words. I’m more concerned that the weather was so miserable I kept thinking “hmm, maybe instead of riding in the wind and rain on the day, I’ll just walk around the festival grounds, look at cool bikes, and drink beer.” 😆
Likes For FML123:
Old 04-13-22, 08:44 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Hope it works out, would be great to ride more than from Ragged Point to Cambria with you this time!
You obviously do not know me well enough.

I will not know for sure until Tuesday or Wednesday of that week, but as of now it is not looking good..
Old 04-13-22, 10:15 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
I rode the 62 mile route of L’Etape San Antonio on the 83 Gitane I’ll be riding at Eroica. It had a few climbs in the 10-13% range and showed me I’ll definitely need lower gears come May 1st. It has a 14-32 freewheel and 42/52 chainrings, which will be swapped shortly for 36/48 chainrings. Hopefully that’ll get me up the steep pitches.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 04-13-22, 12:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
You obviously do not know me well enough.

I will not know for sure until Tuesday or Wednesday of that week, but as of now it is not looking good..
Fingers crossed for you.
Old 04-13-22, 06:25 PM
Vitma

Bikes: Emonda, 79/80 Colnago Super, early 80s Eddy Merckx, end 70/beginning 80s Somec Super Corsa, Santa Cruz Bronson

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 34 Posts
Almost ready but I would like to go with 28 tubular Challenge Strada tires. While there is enough space between tires and frame it is very narrow between top of the tire and the center of the brake caliper in the rear (see pictur). I am concerned that on some of the rough roads stones and other stuff could get stuck. What do you think? Better go with 25? Thank you in advance

Likes For Vitma:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.