Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

what is up with the strava power curves lately?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-19-22, 05:01 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts

the timescale is clearly wrong. i like to compare the strongest-one-hour-power for various rides. now i don't know if that's what i'm seeing or not!

this is a 2 hour and 6 minute ride. the time is definitely correct, matches reality, the cycling app the data came from, etc. the timescale on the power curve (for this ride, not for all time) clearly goes to more like 3.5 hours. i see a similar ratio on many, but not all rides. anyone else?n

no love on google. https://www.google.com/search?q=stra...client=gws-wiz
Old 06-20-22, 12:18 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Yesterday, I did a ride with 2:50:34 moving, but the elapsed time was almost 4 hours. I have attached a screen grab for reference. This got me curious, so I went and verified a few other rides where I knew there was a noticeable difference between the moving time and elapsed time, and those power curves also were based on elapsed time. It appears that the power curve chart is based on the elapsed time.

Old 06-20-22, 03:52 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Badger6
Yesterday, I did a ride with 234 moving, but the elapsed time was almost 4 hours. I have attached a screen grab for reference. This got me curious, so I went and verified a few other rides where I knew there was a noticeable difference between the moving time and elapsed time, and those power curves also were based on elapsed time. It appears that the power curve chart is based on the elapsed time.

yes - it’s definitely based on elapsed time, as it probably should be. that’s not what’s causing the oddity in my rides though, most have only a few minutes of stopped time. the example above is 2:08 in calendar/clock minutes start to end!
Old 06-21-22, 09:18 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Interesting. All of mine (at least the 20 or so I just spot checked from the last 6 weeks) are using the correct elapsed time.
Old 06-21-22, 09:57 AM
mschwett 

so strange. i have to go back very far to find a correct one, but it looks like all the ones uploaded from the cadence cycling app (vs different apps i used to use) are all displayed with the wrong x axis.

what's very interesting is that the numbers seem to be correct; e.g. the one hour average matches what i saw on the bike after the first (usually strongest) hour of the ride. mystifying.
Old 06-21-22, 11:17 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Garmin 1030 recordings.
Last week, a ride was 1:46 ride time, 2:06 total time.
The power curve showed 2:06.

In Golden Cheetah, the line extends to 2:06 also. Looks like stopped times are factored in, which makes sense.

That's why my over 1 hour chart line is so low. Rides have at least some stopped time, and downhill coasting too. An interesting experiment would be to do a 2 hour flat ride, trying for a consistent pace with no coasting. Those kind of routes are very hard to find around here, though. A flatland 4-sides-of-a-square repeated loop would be annoying! I want a destination, and stuff to see along the way.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-21-22 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 06-21-22, 12:21 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Garmin 1030 recordings.
Last week, a ride was 1:46 ride time, 2:06 total time.
The power curve showed 2:06.

In Golden Cheetah, the line extends to 2:06 also. Looks like stopped times are factored in, which makes sense.

That's why my over 1 hour chart line is so low. Rides have at least some stopped time, and downhill coasting too. An interesting experiment would be to do a 2 hour flat ride, trying for a consistent pace with no coasting. Those kind of routes are very hard to find around here, though. A flatland 4-sides-of-a-square repeated loop would be annoying! I want a destination, and stuff to see along the way.
i hear you! my favorite routes have sometimes become favorites because they have almost no stopping. i think i've managed 2 hours without a single stop, taking some liberties with unoccupied four-way-stop intersections. most of my rides in the 1-3 hour range end up with perhaps 5 minutes of stops max, which doesn't skew the curve much.
Old 06-21-22, 12:48 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by rm -rf
An interesting experiment would be to do a 2 hour flat ride, trying for a consistent pace with no coasting. Those kind of routes are very hard to find around here, though. A flatland 4-sides-of-a-square repeated loop would be annoying! I want a destination, and stuff to see along the way.
You’ve got me thinking...

The start/end point is 2.5km from house, and it is flat AF until roughly the 70km mark, along train tracks and canals, definitely not a boring 4-corners big square crit. In reality that is a 2:30:00 to 2:35:00 TT. I might just do it. For science, and all.

Last edited by Badger6; 06-21-22 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 07-06-22, 10:20 PM
mschwett 

been emailing strava support about this. it's a bit of a slow conversation as they take a few days to reply between emails... but there's clearly something wrong. they've manually "reset the power curve" for one activity, and it's fixed with the correct x axis duration on the power curve. today's ride is also correct. every other ride for the past months is still wrong though. wierd.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-09-22, 08:05 PM
mschwett 

doesn’t seem like anyone else but me has this issue here, but here’s the latest:

here is the latest from strava after a few weeks of emailing back and forth.

It looks like this may be a bug. I will create a bug profile so that our engineers can take a look. I am unsure of the timeline but they will be made aware of the issue.

We appreciate your patience. If you have any additional questions please let us know.
it’s basically every ride that i’ve synced to strava from the cadence app on one particular phone for the last several months. they are able to manually “reset” the curve for a specific activity, which fixes it, but it looks like there’s no explanation yet for why they get like they from this particular combo of app/device.

all the data in the app is correct, including averaged and weighted average power, and exported TCX or FIT files from the app also show correctly in other platforms!