Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Braking Techniques

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Braking Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-22, 11:24 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Actually the LBS when I was a kid told me to use the rear brake first, as a "backup" to the front brake to avoid going over the bars. I think most people ride like this, which is part of the reason why I think people have a tendency to overuse the back brake when sh*t hits the fan and aren't used to slamming the front brake without the back.
OTOH I could go months without touching my rear brake.
Old 07-15-22, 11:31 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
OTOH I could go months without touching my rear brake.
yup I recommend people looking to practice emergency stopping or just stopping with just the front brake to unhook the back brake.
Old 07-15-22, 12:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
yup I recommend people looking to practice emergency stopping or just stopping with just the front brake to unhook the back brake.
My first thought was to be concerned that you were giving out stupid dangerous advice. Then I realized the number of folks asking for "Larry Cycling" advice is zero. Rumor has it promoting wrong riding was one of the things that got the other one removed. We can only hope.... Edit- referring to the other prolific troll who disappeared. AFAIK there is only one "Larry" though it's likely other user names stem from the same source.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-18-22 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-15-22, 12:39 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
My first thought was to be concerned that you were giving out stupid dangerous advice. Then I realized the number of folks asking for "Larry Cycling" advice is zero. Rumor has it promoting wrong riding was one of the things that got the other one removed. We can only hope....
There is more than one Larry?!? Not sure the world is ready for that.
Old 07-15-22, 12:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
There is more than one Larry?!? Not sure the world is ready for that.
If there were two of you,
Or, God forbid, a few or you,
Too much is what it would be!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-15-22, 03:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Comedy?? Drama? Tragedy???

Inquiring minds want to know!
Both all and none of the above. Think Waiting for Godot with both main characters being played by Larry.
Old 07-15-22, 04:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Both all and none of the above. Think Waiting for Godot with both main characters being played by Larry.
"He told us to wait!"
"But that was yesterday!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-15-22, 09:44 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Done it when I was a kid. One of them ended up in endo. It's good to know that you know how to do it....

But to the moral lesson of story is avoid getting yourself in situations where you need to emergency brake in the first place. Practice your crash rolling skills but don't crash in the first place.

I won't recommend practice hard braking where your rear wheel is about to lift off because it might actually end up lifting off. Older riders might even break a bone.
Old 07-18-22, 01:24 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs

I won't recommend practice hard braking where your rear wheel is about to lift off because it might actually end up lifting off. Older riders might even break a bone.
Eh. If you're doing any sort of performance riding, you should know what the limit of your stopping power is. I've had to emergency stop a few times. A couple times in races, once to avoid a head-on with an SUV.

Practice your stopping. If you're afraid of falling, you can do it with flat pedals and a lowered saddle. It's really not that bad. Just remember to let go of the front brake if you feel yourself flipping. You have more time than you think.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 07-18-22, 05:22 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Eh. If you're doing any sort of performance riding, you should know what the limit of your stopping power is. I've had to emergency stop a few times. A couple times in races, once to avoid a head-on with an SUV.

Practice your stopping. If you're afraid of falling, you can do it with flat pedals and a lowered saddle. It's really not that bad. Just remember to let go of the front brake if you feel yourself flipping. You have more time than you think.
How could there be a "head on SUV" in a race? Were you simply racing against your group buddies?
Old 07-18-22, 06:03 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
When I learned to ride a motorcycle, I was taught that you ALWAYS use both front and rear brakes together, even if you're just slowing down or braking gently. That's because you want to have the muscle memory of applying both, when you actually do have to stop suddenly. You don't want to have to "remember" anything. The other thing I was taught is to actually practice your panic stops. You need to know how you and the bike respond under hard braking, and how to apply proper modulation between front and rear brakes.

I've always applied this to bicycles. Even if I just want to slow down a little, I use both brakes. Then when I have to stop suddenly, that's what I'm going to do naturally. And because I do practice sudden stopping, I understand how my bike handles and what the limits are. I practice again whenever I change anything, like brake pads. A lot of the practice is getting used to the way your body weight shifts forward during hard braking and how to maintain control when that happens. A lot of people aren't prepared for that weight shift, and crash.

This "front brake only" thing is maybe for people that aren't skilled riders or who have cheap brakes with poor modulation. If you want to fool around and practice front-only braking just to see what those limits are, fine. But for maximum stopping and minimum stopping distance, learn to use both front and rear, and of course practice.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 07-18-22 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 06:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
When I learned to ride a motorcycle, I was taught that you ALWAYS use both front and rear brakes together, even if you're just slowing down or braking gently. That's because you want to have the muscle memory of applying both, when you actually do have to stop suddenly. You don't want to have to "remember" anything. The other thing I was taught is to actually practice your panic stops. You need to know how you and the bike respond under hard braking, and how to apply proper modulation between front and rear brakes.

I've always applied this to bicycles. Even if I just want to slow down a little, I use both brakes. Then when I have to stop suddenly, that's what I'm going to do naturally. And because I do practice sudden stopping, I understand how my bike handles and what the limits are. I practice again whenever I change anything, like brake pads. A lot of the practice is getting used to the way your body weight shifts forward during hard braking and how to maintain control when that happens. A lot of people aren't prepared for that weight shift, and crash.

This "front brake only" thing is maybe for people that aren't skilled riders or who have cheap brakes with poor modulation. If you want to fool around and practice front-only braking just to see what those limits are, fine. But for maximum stopping and minimum stopping distance, learn to use both front and rear, and of course practice.
I think your points are good and reasonable.

The OP does not have a back brake (at least that's what he said in post #1), which I think is not so good and not so reasonable. But it's his choice.
Old 07-18-22, 07:51 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I recommend people looking to improve their braking skill ignore this advice.
Old 07-18-22, 10:49 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese

Motorcycles tend to be longer, have much lower centers of gravity, and are much, much heavier.

And, even still, motorcycles have some of the same braking dynamics as bicycles.

https://bigapplemotorcycleschool.com...ing%20at%20all!
https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles....-a-motorcycle/

On a bicycle, at the fastest braking (braking at the limits), the rear brake is doing very little and it's easy to lock/skid (there's enough info about this from experts).

The issue isn't "just using the front brake". It's what you do at the limit with the rear brake doesn't matter very much.

If you are below the limit, the rear brake does more in stopping (but the front brake is still much more effective). But you still have to take care not to lock the rear brake (this, contrary to some people here, is easy to do).

Most people rarely (if ever) are braking their bicycles at the limit. It's all they know.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-22 at 10:59 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-18-22, 05:33 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
How could there be a "head on SUV" in a race? Were you simply racing against your group buddies?
Separate incidents. I've emergency stopped in races, and also on the street. It's useful in both cases.

There's a lot of hoopla in this thread about theory. All I was trying to say is that the best thing you can do is practice and develop that muscle memory. Being able to drop anchor without panicking is far more important than the specifics of your technique.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 07-18-22, 09:50 PM
greysquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
After reading this thread, I started stopping only with my front brake(road riding). Did I stop in a shorter distance? Probably but I got the dreaded rotor ping and a ton of front tire compression/fork bend affecting handling/steering. Also, if you MTB you're going to learn bad habits that will kill you.
Old 07-22-22, 07:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
At max braking under ideal conditions there is approximately zero input from the rear brake. There is an argument to be made that, at least when beginning to brake from speed you should use both brakes, and the rear brake is certainly useful on loose surfaces esp. when cornering, but if you need to immediately 'drop the anchor' on a hard surface then the front does all or almost all of the braking.

you can definitely stop faster using both brakes, provided your weight is distributed correctly. Push your weight way back, i.e. butt over rear wheel, torso pressing on the seat, and you can have the front brake at the threshold of lock up, and enough traction on the rear wheel to add significant braking force from the rear tire.

your ability to slow the bike is limited by the size of the contact patch with the road, and the coefficient of friction of that contact area. Twice the contact patch is better

this CGN video demonstrates:
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-01-22, 11:31 PM
Overdraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
When I went to motorcycle race school we were told that none of us are good enough to touch the rear brake.

On a modern sport motorcycle there’s enough braking power to get the rear wheel in the air with two fingers so you’re not getting extra stopping power from the rear brake. You’re getting different braking, drag the rear brake to compress the front suspension before putting the fronts on so you dive less, upsetting the back end so you can back it in, etc. But all this assumes you have suspension and since this is the road bike forum not very applicable.

So while some fancy people may be able to optimize braking by simultaneously shifting their weight max aft while perfectly modulating their front brake lever so the rear tire is skimming above the ground (MotoGP riders do this routinely) I certainly cannot.

So given that the front brakes on a bicycle (to me at least) don't feel so over powered that I could easily find and control the point of lifting the rear, nevermind controlling the lever that precisely while dangling my ass in mid air behind the saddle, I’m always going to get at least some benefit from applying the rear brake as well.

The road ain’t exactly lab conditions and I'm no Tour rider, so the theory of the front brake generating all the stopping power is true for the few, but not for most!