Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Di2 options for a gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Di2 options for a gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-22, 08:50 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I have the same 785 shifters on my tandem, but I routed the wires inside the bar and used the bar-end A-junction. Those shifters only have one port, but that shouldn't really matter. With the external junction A you need 6 wires - one from each shifter to the junction, one from A to B, then one to each derailleur and to the battery.
I posted about my di2 hack on the forum below. Not something everyone would want to do but it actually worked out well.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-di2-hack.html
I think you will need the B-junction in the seat tube, and it will still need enough length below it to be able to remove the seatpost without pulling all the wires apart.
Likes For Chilepines:
Old 07-29-22, 10:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I did read that hack, which is in fact what gave me the idea, but I think the B-junction box is the way to go.

BTW my frame builder tried very hard to make it work with the 30mm White Industries spindle, so I have to take his word for it that, at least for that bike, it couldn't be done. In retrospect, with your "hack" I think it could have worked.
Old 08-11-22, 02:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Almost there...

I fixed the handlebar rotation after the photo -- it is horizontal now with respect to hood ramps.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 08-12-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-25-22, 01:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just realized I never posted a final post-build photo (not that these things ever really get finished -- eg: I still need to make the steerer tube final cut, and I still need to get that ******g wire inside the chain [corrected] stay):

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 08-25-22 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-25-22, 07:34 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
= I still need to get that ******g wire inside the seat stay):
What wire are you putting in a seat stay?
Old 08-25-22, 08:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Chilepines
What wire are you putting in a seat stay?
Sorry, chain stay.

The one that goes to the rear derailleur. It is currently hidden behind the lizard skins chain stay protector. I can get it in, but I can't get it out through the hole next to the rear derailleur. I tried for hours, and used those little cable caps you sent (thank you, again!) in conjunction with a (conventional) shifter cable to pull it through. The main problem is I need to get it exactly perpendicular to the 5.5 mm hole, and I've tried everything I can think of (your wire trick, shop vac and dental floss, wire pick, magnet, etc), and failed. It's perfectly fine now, behind the chain stay protector, but it really bothers me that it is the one thing that I wasn't able to get to work as designed. (I noticed they re-designed this for the current generation of the frame.)
Old 08-27-22, 03:05 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Could you install the wire by inserting it from the RD and pull it toward the BB? I had to do that on an older frame.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 08-28-22, 08:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Badger6
Could you install the wire by inserting it from the RD and pull it toward the BB? I had to do that on an older frame.
Thanks. I tried.

The problem is symmetric.

I need to email the maker and ask if there is a trick. Also, I have heard there is a second type of Di2 wire that is narrower. I don't know if they are cross-compatible, but that might be a way.

Functionally, this isn't really a problem because I have the wire running under the chainstay protector. It just kind of bugs me.
Old 08-28-22, 08:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Functionally, this isn't really a problem because I have the wire running under the chainstay protector. It just kind of bugs me.
I have a custom built frame designed for Di2 (11sp) with all of the ports for the wires...And the port for the RD wire is a problem: the little Shimano grommet, which sits in the port and serves as sort of a guide and holder for the wire, will always pop out -- then the wire is just dangling slightly. I've tried new grommets, I've tried really jamming it in there, etc. Finally gave up and wrapped a bit of electrical tape around it. "It just kind of bugs me," or at least it did at first. But after a while, ehh, whatever. Hopefully your issue will end up being the same.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-29-22, 12:15 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I have heard there is a second type of Di2 wire that is narrower. I don't know if they are cross-compatible, but that might be a way.
The EW-AD305 will allow using the newer generation wiring with older gen systems…it appears that you’d need three total wires to make it work: two older gen (SD300 wires on the ends) with two of these adapters to run the smaller SD50 current gen wiring.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 08-29-22, 08:15 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yeah, that isn't going to help, then, unless the EW-SD300 could plug in directly into the rear derailleur (GRX).

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 08-29-22 at 08:24 AM.