Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1973 Raleigh Competition with Nervex Lugs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-22, 10:42 AM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 47 Posts

I recently purchased a lovely '73 raleigh competition with nervex pro lugs at auction. Other non-spec items include: GB Maes "map of britain" bars, 3TTT stem, campy pedals, campy hubs, campy seat post, brooks professional saddle, Sakae/Ringyo Royal LA-5 crank set, and suntour bar-con shifters. Not sure if all are original but it does appear to me that the bar-con shifters and metal coil shift cable housings are orig...Bar wrap appears original as do the downtube cable stops, etc. Serial number is interesting: H316 (according to Sheldon Brown should be H followed by 4 digits). Have heard rumors of other '73s with nervex lugs, but I understand that it is quite a rare combination as most used Capella lugs. Will post a picture soon but cannot add attachments as I am still a newbie to the site.
Old 08-31-22, 12:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by cjefferds
I recently purchased a lovely '73 raleigh competition with nervex pro lugs at auction. Other non-spec items include: GB Maes "map of britain" bars, 3TTT stem, campy pedals, campy hubs, campy seat post, brooks professional saddle, Sakae/Ringyo Royal LA-5 crank set, and suntour bar-con shifters. Not sure if all are original but it does appear to me that the bar-con shifters and metal coil shift cable housings are orig...Bar wrap appears original as do the downtube cable stops, etc. Serial number is interesting: H316 (according to Sheldon Brown should be H followed by 4 digits). Have heard rumors of other '73s with nervex lugs, but I understand that it is quite a rare combination as most used Capella lugs. Will post a picture soon but cannot add attachments as I am still a newbie to the site.
Welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place.

You need 5 posts X 2 days for 10 to post pics, in the meantime you can upload some to an album on your homepage that may get moved here.

We love Raleigh's, yours sounds very interesting so we look forward to seeing it.
Old 08-31-22, 01:32 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Well, how about it? We are waiting!

The bars sound original, the shifters do not. I thought they came with GB stems, too.

If the Campy items are GS, as opposed to Nuovo Record, they may be original, too.

The seat and seatpost are so good, I couldn't care less whether they were original or not. They are great. I think they came with B-17's and standard seat clamps.

The crank is almost certainly after-market. What deraileurs and gearing is it equipped with? I wonder if the owner went from the original racing configuration to a more touring-oriented configuration.
Old 08-31-22, 01:39 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag

The bars sound original, the shifters do not. I thought they came with GB stems, too.

If the Campy items are GS, as opposed to Nuovo Record, they may be original, too.

The seat and seatpost are so good, I couldn't care less whether they were original or not. They are great. I think they came with B-17's and standard seat clamps.

The crank is almost certainly after-market. What deraileurs and gearing is it equipped with? I wonder if the owner went from the original racing configuration to a more touring-oriented configuration.
I think GB stems and bars could have been original and have seen a lot of Pro's with 3t's that were swapped in for the flexy GB stems.

No real bad parts choices here IMO, sounds like some good upgrades in fact.

And no way to go wrong with Nervex, so....
Old 08-31-22, 02:53 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

name of bar bend model is Ventoux

-----
Old 08-31-22, 04:02 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

The derailleurs are Huret (rear is a Jubilee). Rear cluster is 14/24T (made in Italy). Front rings are 44/52T.
Old 08-31-22, 07:01 PM
Bad Lag

The Jubilee and a 14-24 freewheel sound stock to me. I really like the Jubilee but have never had one. Does it work well or is it too flexible/sloppy/imprecise?
Old 09-01-22, 11:08 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 197 Posts
I rode a short cage one for nearly 20 years. They work fine if you don't ask them to deal with more than a 26t cog. The very early ones with the short spring ( like mine) do not shift positively into the smallest cog - it gets there but it can take a second. I assume it was a well-known problem since the design was revised later.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...m=108&AbsPos=3
Likes For daka:
Old 09-01-22, 03:25 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

I'm working on it
Old 09-01-22, 03:28 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

name of bar bend model is Ventoux

-----
Good to know, thank you!
Old 09-02-22, 03:24 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Originally Posted by merziac
Welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place.

You need 5 posts X 2 days for 10 to post pics, in the meantime you can upload some to an album on your homepage that may get moved here.

We love Raleigh's, yours sounds very interesting so we look forward to seeing it.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Here are a few pics.

Likes For cjefferds:
Old 09-02-22, 03:29 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Just posted a few pictures. One interesting tidbit that I noticed in researching the specs is that the 73 catalog spec page says B17 is standard but the page that actually describes the competition model says brooks pro
Old 09-02-22, 06:52 PM
Bad Lag

Thanks for the warm welcome. Here are a few pics.
Thanks for the pics. It's a nice bike. For me, it is a grail bike.

It is not the best bike in the world but it is one I always wanted. The sloping fork crown is a particular attraction for me.
Old 09-08-22, 06:02 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Update

Update: The Competition is coming along nicely. All cleaned up. Replaced the tubular wheelset with a vintage clincher set that I lifted off a 70s Le Jeune Tour de France. The bike was in bad shape but the wheels are legit. Normandy hubs and DEA rims. Sacrificed a bit of weight and performance for a bit of bling and $. I noticed that the stem shows signs of wear consistent with stem-mounted shifters. So that explains some of the non-spec components. I'm thinking that many of the "upgrades" on my bike were likely transplanted from a later model Raleigh.

Old 09-08-22, 07:19 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Very nice bike.

So....steel rims on a Competition....
Old 09-08-22, 08:13 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Originally Posted by branko_76
Very nice bike.

So....steel rims on a Competition....
Short-term fix. Steel is real!
Old 09-08-22, 08:37 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Short-term fix. Steel is real!
You can get more real by replacing the crankset with a steel cottered crank, there are plenty available on the used market...
Old 09-08-22, 08:39 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Looks great!

Many riders on Brooks saddle end up with the nose tilted higher than you've got yours currently set up -- either so that the front and back edges are level, or so that the back section is level (and the nose pointing up). It's personal thing, of course, so you'll want to experiment for yourself.

Of course, if you already know that the position you've got works for you, it's your bike!
Old 09-08-22, 08:46 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 197 Posts
"You can get more real by replacing the crankset with a steel cottered crank, there are plenty available on the used market..."

That's right! One of my favorite cranksets is the Campagnolo Sport 3320 steel crankset and the first one I ever saw was on a new Raleigh Competition that I assembled for the shop I worked at. It is a thing of beauty and all worries of aluminum fatigue can be set aside......

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...ankset.323727/
Likes For daka:
Old 09-08-22, 08:51 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by daka
"You can get more real by replacing the crankset with a steel cottered crank, there are plenty available on the used market..."

That's right! One of my favorite cranksets is the Campagnolo Sport 3320 steel crankset and the first one I ever saw was on a new Raleigh Competition that I assembled for the shop I worked at. It is a thing of beauty and all worries of aluminum fatigue can be set aside......

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...ankset.323727/
That Campy crank truly is a thing of beauty. I would have no problem using one...

Old 09-08-22, 09:04 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Congrats on acquiring such an awesome bike. I'm a fan of Brooks saddles and that one has some nice aging to it. It doesn't appear to be all dried up like some I've seen. There are some surface cracks near the rivets but they might be on the surface only. Worth checking closely though. I even like the green patina on the copper rivets.

If you like those rims, it's your bike, you be you. I would seek out a set of vintage aluminum clinchers. The braking will be way better. Steel rims are pretty, but stopping, especially in wet weather isn't the best. Modern pads can help. Kool Stop, for example.

Happy riding!
Old 09-08-22, 09:06 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
That Campy crank truly is a thing of beauty. I would have no problem using one...

That's not a crank, that's jewelry.
Old 09-09-22, 06:10 AM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

You can get more real by replacing the crankset with a steel cottered crank, there are plenty available on the used market...
Haha. Sorry if I offended with my flippant response! I do plan to upgrade the wheels eventually. The plan is to lace the campy record hubs that came with the bike to a new set of rims. Just not a priority right now. I have no experience with wheel building so did not want that to be the rate-limiting factor in getting the bike back on the road again.
Likes For cjefferds:
Old 09-09-22, 06:24 AM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Congrats on acquiring such an awesome bike. I'm a fan of Brooks saddles and that one has some nice aging to it. It doesn't appear to be all dried up like some I've seen. There are some surface cracks near the rivets but they might be on the surface only. Worth checking closely though. I even like the green patina on the copper rivets.

If you like those rims, it's your bike, you be you. I would seek out a set of vintage aluminum clinchers. The braking will be way better. Steel rims are pretty, but stopping, especially in wet weather isn't the best. Modern pads can help. Kool Stop, for example.

Happy riding!
Thanks, Tuga! I do plan to mate the campy hubs that came with the bike to aluminum rims at some point in the not too distant future.
Old 09-09-22, 08:13 AM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

BTW, your post reminded me that I have a set of Kool-stops in inventory. Just installed them and can confirm they make a huge difference. Night and day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.