Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 07:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I suppose the trick for me has always been not to be soaked in sweat when riding. The requirement for that of course is to have wicking layers, breathable shell and being cold when setting out. There have been times when I've had water bead up on the jacket outside surface but the inside has been fine. But yeah, one should't let it get to a point where warming layers are getting soaked. .... Strangely even near -40 I've noticed I require very little in terms of layers as long as I have a good outer shell. XC ski clothing is pretty awesome for that. Less is more but it probably isn't be a bad idea to take a lightweight fleece for breaks / needing to huck it.
I was noo able to afford really high-end gear back then .... and haven't researched enough now. I just did numerous layers and peeled/added frequently .... I am not even sure z"wicking" was a concept back then. For slow work, people recommended snow-machine suits .... but for anything requiring effort I just multiplied lo-tech layers. I never saw anything close to -40, though .... and I am glad.
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Extremity protection is key and that's where I put most of my efforts. If the extremities are covered and warm then the body can take care of itself (within reason). Though that reminds me of this one time I was climbing and had to take my gloves and hat off and even open my jacket as to not overheat. In the end I was riding gloveless bare headed with my jacket open in -30 celsius so I wouldn't overheat. I remember the temperature, because the absurdity of the situation made me check it out later.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yeah, but extremity protection can be a problem. I have a problem with Reynaud's Syndrome, which is exacerbated by cold. Catalytic hand and foot warmers help, but only somewhat. A couple hours is all I can tolerate before the Reynaud's hits, which can take many hours to resolve.
There are some really hi-tech gloves, socks, and boot out here but I haven't found much that met all my needs ..... I was always sweating or freezing, and toes and fingers don't tolerate much .... I don't know of any specific syndrome I might have, unless "wimpy cold tolerance" is a disease .... but I can think of a few times when i seriously worried about frostbite, and it is not fun.

I guess that is why some people live up north, and some fled forever.

I have to say though ... the idea of crunching across snow on a fatbike---if properly equipped--is sort of tempting. I used to love cross-country skiing ....
Old 09-09-22, 12:38 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Nothing is a waste of money if it makes you happy.
Old 09-11-22, 08:27 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Biggest waste is cycling specific clothing esp bib short, road jerseys, etc. U gain a few extra pounds and nothing fits anymore. I spent enough to purchase another expensive bike.

Now I just wear relaxed clothing, trail/commuting biking shorts/pants.
Likes For b88:
Old 09-11-22, 08:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6959 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Biggest waste is cycling specific clothing esp bib short, road jerseys, etc. U gain a few extra pounds and nothing fits anymore. I spent enough to purchase another expensive bike.

​​​​​​
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-11-22, 10:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
So maybe it's fair to say that, for you, the biggest waste is a bigger waist?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-11-22, 10:48 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
So maybe it's fair to say that, for you, the biggest waste is a bigger waist?

You could say that too cos it also cost quite a bit of money to get that bigger waist. lol
Likes For b88:
Old 09-11-22, 12:12 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Have money belts been mentioned yet?
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-11-22, 05:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I nominate pretty much anything from these folks, but the “Gravel” collection really stands out.

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us/
Old 09-12-22, 10:02 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
The biggest waste of money is money not spent. If you don't use it then why bother getting it? And when you croak, someone else will spend what you didn't on really stupid stuff.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 09-12-22, 10:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Or watch where you spend your money so you can invest it and retire earlier than most folks. I'm on track to retire at 55.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-12-22, 10:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,082 Times in 3,823 Posts
Originally Posted by b88

If you're doing relaxed riding, relaxed clothing makes sense. If you're riding at speeds where aerodynamics don't matter, relaxed clothing makes sense. If you don't mind clothing flapping about when you're riding at higher speeds, relaxed clothing makes sense. If what you're wearing is what you prefer, keep on keeping on.

However, be aware that not everyone has the same preferences, or wants the same results.

Over the last couple of years, my weight has fluctuated within a range of about 12 lbs. All of my cycling clothing has continued to fit me. Maybe you gained more than a "few extra pounds"?
Old 09-12-22, 12:30 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by prj71
Or watch where you spend your money so you can invest it and retire earlier than most folks. I'm on track to retire at 55.
I wear Assos and Rapha jerseys and retired at 54.

So there.
Old 09-12-22, 12:36 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I wear Assos and Rapha jerseys and retired at 54.

So there.
Damn you!!! You must be a government worker!!!
Old 09-12-22, 02:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I nominate pretty much anything from these folks, but the “Gravel” collection really stands out.

Interesting that their "gravel" collection is a baggy t-shirt pattern. Meanwhile, the pointy end of the gravel racing flock is growing increasingly concerned with aerodynamics, including racers competing in skinsuits and running areo bars.

Last edited by Eric F; 09-12-22 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 02:30 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Interesting that their "gravel" collection is a baggy t-**** pattern. Meanwhile, the pointy end of the gravel racing flock is growing increasingly concerned with aerodynamics, including racers competing in skinsuits and running areo bars.
The styling is... not my cup of tea. That said, the pricing... for the price of their baggy gravel shorts, I can get a race fit Castelli trisuit which is really top notch quality and, you know, aero and everything, and add a pair of socks on top 🤷
​​​​​
Plus, it's Italian, with sizing which shamefully displays every excess kilo you've picked up on race photos.

Complementary belly rolls gratis 🤣

​​
Old 09-12-22, 02:39 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Eric F
Interesting that their "gravel" collection is a baggy t-**** pattern. Meanwhile, the pointy end of the gravel racing flock is growing increasingly concerned with aerodynamics, including racers competing in skinsuits and running areo bars.
More so than any other cycling apparel company (that I'm aware of), CdC is unabashedly fashion forward and selling an image/lifestyle, so value is going to be *highly* subjective. The last I looked, their gravel stuff tended towards lumberjack and gravel bro more so than those with a competitive bent. I'll cop to really liking their riding hoodie and those plaid lumberjack jersey/jacket things - if they were 1/3 of their asking price, I'd get either.
Old 09-12-22, 03:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

More so than any other cycling apparel company (that I'm aware of), CdC is unabashedly fashion forward and selling an image/lifestyle, so value is going to be *highly* subjective. The last I looked, their gravel stuff tended towards lumberjack and gravel bro more so than those with a competitive bent. I'll cop to really liking their riding hoodie and those plaid lumberjack jersey/jacket things - if they were 1/3 of their asking price, I'd get either.
Valid. Likewise, a lot of "MTB" labeled clothing tends towards a free-ride/relaxed style, which fits with a segment of MTB riders. XC racers, however, tend to dress like roadies.
Old 09-12-22, 05:40 PM
Charles Lathe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I have a bicycle that I’ve owned for thirteen years. I am very happy with it, but I keep switching parts around trying to make it perfect. I am probably wasting money seeking perfection, but the perfect bicycle would be pretty cool.
Old 09-12-22, 07:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Lathe
I am probably wasting money seeking perfection, but the perfect bicycle would be pretty cool.
Oh, it is. But, sometimes I feel bad being the only person with the perfect bicycle.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-12-22, 08:18 PM
Koyote

Yeah. Oof. For almost exactly the same price as that fleecy flannel thing, you can get one of these, which is made of Pendleton wool.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-12-22, 08:48 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yeah. Oof. For almost exactly the same price as that fleecy flannel thing, you can get one of these, which is made of Pendleton wool.
My LBS carries Kitsbow and had a few of those on hand when I stopped by the other day. Nice, but wouldn't consider it unless it were on deep discount. Real deep.
Old 09-12-22, 09:01 PM
Koyote

My LBS carries Kitsbow and had a few of those on hand when I stopped by the other day. Nice, but wouldn't consider it unless it were on deep discount. Real deep.
I swallowed hard before buying my first one (at your LBS - Angry Catfish), and ended up buying a second one about six months later. They're that good. But you really need only one, since they're built like brick you-know-what houses. I just wanted a different color, since I was wearing my first one about six days per week.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-12-22, 09:03 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Oh, it is. But, sometimes I feel bad being the only person with the perfect bicycle.
My last new bike purchase was custom -- I even had the wheels built for it, and specified everything right down to the bar tape and spoke nipples. I wouldn't call it the "perfect bicycle," but it was fun.
Old 09-12-22, 11:21 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

That website makes me gag a little
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-13-22, 01:11 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I was noo able to afford really high-end gear back then .... and haven't researched enough now. I just did numerous layers and peeled/added frequently .... I am not even sure z"wicking" was a concept back then. For slow work, people recommended snow-machine suits .... but for anything requiring effort I just multiplied lo-tech layers. I never saw anything close to -40, though .... and I am glad.
There are some really hi-tech gloves, socks, and boot out here but I haven't found much that met all my needs ..... I was always sweating or freezing, and toes and fingers don't tolerate much .... I don't know of any specific syndrome I might have, unless "wimpy cold tolerance" is a disease .... but I can think of a few times when i seriously worried about frostbite, and it is not fun.

I guess that is why some people live up north, and some fled forever.

I have to say though ... the idea of crunching across snow on a fatbike---if properly equipped--is sort of tempting. I used to love cross-country skiing ....
I was studying up north so really not much money for high end technical gear. However I managed to find some base and mid layers on sale that I use even today (you really want a decent chunk of nylon with your merino wool. Makes the garment last so much longer). Also my shell jacket is from time period and still looks unused (after probably thousands of hours outdoors).

I'd go as far as to say the gear back in the day was as "good" as it is today (polyester or nylon isn't new and wool's been around forever) but with the caveats of less availability, less knowledge of how synthetics work and with wool less comfort. Merino doesn't itch. That wasn't widespread however. Regular wool works just as well but it's not something you wanted directly against your skin.

I believe the significant advancements have been in outer shells. Especially knit nylon shells are a far cry of the old smooth unbreathable polyester shells of yore. On top of that rain shells are massively improved from what was available a few decades ago.

Staying warm and dry in the cold outdoors has never been easier.
Likes For elcruxio:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.