Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Integrated brake/shifter angle on drop bar?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: How are your brifters/shrakes/STI levers positioned?
parallel with one another (0°)
53.85%
pointed inward slightly (10° or 15°)
46.15%
pointed inward more drastically
0%
pointed outward
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 09:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts

Today I had a wee spill and the net result was one of the "brifters/shrakes" moved about 10° or 15° inward, relative to my (non-flare) drop bars. Previously, both were parallel with the drops (i.e., 0°). I decided to ride home that way, rather than mess it up further with a multi-tool. Most of the ride home was climbing, with my hands on the hoods. The difference was a lot less than I had suspected, but the one tilted inward slightly actually felt a bit more comfortable.

I've noticed on gravel bikes with flared drops, there is a tendency to align the levers with the drops, so that they point inward. I assume this is to make the reach to the brake lever from the bend in the drop as short as possible.

But for those who ride mainly on the hoods, how do you have your levers positioned?
Old 10-05-22, 09:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
But for those who ride mainly on the hoods, how do you have your levers positioned?
I've always positioned them straight on -- in line with the drops. But I've never tried any other position.

I'm a big fan of the "If it feels good, do it" approach. Seems like your impromptu experiment might lead you to further experimentation and maybe more comfort.

btw, I hope the spill was nothing serious and that you are okay.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-05-22, 09:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Thanks. I am fine. Much more importantly, the new $50 Silca bar tape survived unscathed.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-05-22, 09:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I've been riding all my bikes with the hoods angled in a little for many years. Feels more natural.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-06-22, 04:00 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have angled brake/STI levers inward for a long time. I recently switched two of my bikes to Ritchey Beacon bars and the angle is even more than on traditionally shaped drop bars. The Beacon, for me, is very high in the comfort factor. The sort of extreme angle makes for a really nice platform for the hands, and gives much relief to my arthritic thumbs. It also provides a lot of hand positions and easy access to shifting/braking with little movement.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-06-22, 04:51 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Slightly inwards on all my bikes.

I used to ride it parallel to the bars but tried tilted inwards once for some reason - either it was someone advocating it or something, I really don't remember - but I liked it slightly better that way.

Just slightly about 10 degrees inwards, though, the more dramatic angles don't feel comfortable and I don't see the point.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 10-06-22, 06:32 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Slightly inwards on all my bikes.

I used to ride it parallel to the bars but tried tilted inwards once for some reason - either it was someone advocating it or something, I really don't remember - but I liked it slightly better that way.

Just slightly about 10 degrees inwards, though, the more dramatic angles don't feel comfortable and I don't see the point.
I was a bit leery of the angle and width of the drops on the Beacon bar, and hesitated purchasing one. Excel Sports had them on sale, so I bought one. It took a very short time to realize that it worked very well for me. The point for me is overall comfort, with the relief on my thumbs making a huge difference. Also, with chronic spinal and shoulder issues, the shallow and angled drop make for a platform that allows me to stay in the drops for long periods. I can no longer do that with the usual shaped and compact drop bars. Almost certainly, they are not for everyone.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-06-22, 06:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Slightly inward, but like most things fit, you have to tweak it to fit your body.
Likes For datlas: