Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixed from old mtb (chain line problem)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 03:53 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts

Hello, i restored an old MTB frame from late 1987.
My idea was to convert as a fixed bike, i ordered a track gear but when i mounted on the hub noticed that the chain line seems very problematic, since the hub is very short.....
Which are the possible solution without discarding the new sprocket?

Last edited by CrowSeph; 10-07-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 04:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
That appears to be a traditional cup/cone hub on a threaded axle.

If so, simply remove both end caps (no need to remove cones unless you also want to service the bearings while at it). and transfer some spacers from right to left to move the shell to where you need it. Once the chain line is right, redish the wheel based on the new hub spacing.

On a separate but IMPORTANT note, be aware that riding fixed using a hub that isn't counter-threaded for a lockring, is problematic and could be dangerous if you're depending on reverse thrust (pedal resistance) for braking. I've heard all sorts of excuses from "using superglue" to "I don't use back pedal pressure" and still consider this a somewhat dangerous way to make a ghetto fixed gear.

OTOH- if your goal is simply going single speed, a single freewheel will solve your problems.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-07-22 at 04:09 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-08-22, 03:09 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That appears to be a traditional cup/cone hub on a threaded axle.

If so, simply remove both end caps (no need to remove cones unless you also want to service the bearings while at it). and transfer some spacers from right to left to move the shell to where you need it. Once the chain line is right, redish the wheel based on the new hub spacing.

On a separate but IMPORTANT note, be aware that riding fixed using a hub that isn't counter-threaded for a lockring, is problematic and could be dangerous if you're depending on reverse thrust (pedal resistance) for braking. I've heard all sorts of excuses from "using superglue" to "I don't use back pedal pressure" and still consider this a somewhat dangerous way to make a ghetto fixed gear.

OTOH- if your goal is simply going single speed, a single freewheel will solve your problems.
All this. I don't know about what you plan to do with this bike, hoping that you don't plan on actual mountain biking. Single speed mountain biking with a single speed freewheel has an enthusiastic following that I don't get but do not disparage. However fixed gear on tricky singletrack is a recipe for disaster. Imagine, you are approaching a log that you have to get over, but you cannot adjust the position of your pedals as you approach so your feet may be in that magic position where one pedal contacts the log head on as you go over. You will STOP right then probably throwing you over the handlebar ending up who knows where. Fixed gear should not be used off road
Old 10-09-22, 03:57 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
All this. I don't know about what you plan to do with this bike, hoping that you don't plan on actual mountain biking. Single speed mountain biking with a single speed freewheel has an enthusiastic following that I don't get but do not disparage. However fixed gear on tricky singletrack is a recipe for disaster. Imagine, you are approaching a log that you have to get over, but you cannot adjust the position of your pedals as you approach so your feet may be in that magic position where one pedal contacts the log head on as you go over. You will STOP right then probably throwing you over the handlebar ending up who knows where. Fixed gear should not be used off road
Yeah but I'm not planning to use as a main mountain bike. I imagine this bike as some sort of urban bike capable to take some off road places.
Old 10-09-22, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
They make 130mm and 135mm fixed gear hubs you could build a wheel with one of those otherwise I wouldn't do it. Get the proper single speed hub or just run a normal freewheel and just keep your chain on one gear if you are really that cheap.