Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pad coming short of rim

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pad coming short of rim

Old 10-10-22, 03:45 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Pad coming short of rim

I'm working on a donated bmx bike that is to be (re)donated to an organization when I get it fixed. When I got it, the brakes were in bad shape with some bent calipers, and bad cables. I got the cables sorted and bent the calipers back to where I thought they should be. I have an issue that I can't lower the pads enough on the front calipers to hit the rim. I am assuming that these were original to the bike so I feel that I must be missing something. As a reference, the rears have plenty of room to move both up and down to hit the rim. Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-22, 04:04 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
That's the story of big-box bikes. Sometimes the components are spec'ed without checking to see if they'll actually fit or work on the frame they're attached to. I've struggled with them. First, buy some new pads. These look rock hard and probably wouldn't stop a roller skate. Second, see if the caliper is centered. By that I mean, when you squeeze the lever, the pads should hit the rim at the same time. Sometimes a pad falls short because the one on the other side drops long, and centering can even them out. Third, square the pads. This one isn't parallel to the arc of the rim. Fix that. It will put more pad in contact with the rim and less in contact with the sidewall of the tire. Last, if both pads still fall short, remove them and enlarge with a rat-tail file the bottom of the loops that they bolt in to. But not too thin, you don't want them to break.
Old 10-10-22, 04:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The fork looks like it was installed backwards. Turn it around so the dropouts are facing forward, then re-install the brake.
Old 10-10-22, 04:16 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
The fork looks like it was installed backwards. Turn it around so the dropouts are facing forward, then re-install the brake.
Agreed, the fork is backwards, but also it looks like you bent the arms of the caliber brake more forward then they should be, they should be coming straight down, almost perpendicular to the mounting bolt. Last, those pads need replacing as well, they are dry rotted.

Here is a video that may help you

Last edited by JoeTBM; 10-10-22 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-10-22, 11:46 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Good catch. That should fix the reach problem. Really. But you really should replace and align the pads and center the caliper, too.
Old 10-11-22, 12:44 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I suggest you give the bike a good braking test before you pass it on to someone.
Those calipers can be extremely flexy when "undamaged".
Now that they've been bent once?, they may be "compromised" to the point where they may want to bend again on a panic stop.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-11-22, 08:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I suggest you give the bike a good braking test before you pass it on to someone.
Those calipers can be extremely flexy when "undamaged".
Now that they've been bent once?, they may be "compromised" to the point where they may want to bend again on a panic stop.
These steel calipers are no Universal or Barilla ones what with their crack prone aluminum arms. Really these steel arms are rather strong in the sense of rarely ever having a failure due to stress cracks and such. Do they flex in the direction or the rim's rotation, yes. Are they sometimes hard to keep centered (due to a poor spring/center bolt fitting), Yes. But do we see broken arms after the front wheel/fork/bars swing way around and the cable adjuster arm gets badly bent from the down tube, no. Andy (who has straightened and toed in hundreds of these and other steel side pull calipers with no memory of a failure)
Old 10-11-22, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Maybe some more pics would be helpful. A view from the side a little further back so we can see how the fork is aligned with the headtube. And also a better pick of the wheel showing the rim and it's brake surface.

When I first looked at the pic, I thought your shoes were well below the brake surface. But on closer inspection, I guess that's the sidewall of the tire. The weird little pattern by the tread I thought were witness lines which typically just hit above the rim so you can see that your tire is in the bead seat properly. However I guess they aren't. But I am still sort of puzzled as to what I am seeing. Where is the rim?

Also, is it possible this isn't the wheel size that is suppose to be on the bike and some previous owner replaced the original wheels with the wrong size and just made do? Knowing the model and brand of bike, maybe someone can find what size wheel it was spec'd with.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-11-22 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-11-22, 12:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
These steel calipers are no Universal or Barilla ones what with their crack prone aluminum arms. Really these steel arms are rather strong in the sense of rarely ever having a failure due to stress cracks and such. Do they flex in the direction or the rim's rotation, yes. Are they sometimes hard to keep centered (due to a poor spring/center bolt fitting), Yes. But do we see broken arms after the front wheel/fork/bars swing way around and the cable adjuster arm gets badly bent from the down tube, no. Andy (who has straightened and toed in hundreds of these and other steel side pull calipers with no memory of a failure)
My concern isn't about breakage, but bendage.
I've dealt with this type on Huffy's where you would end up bottoming the lever against the bar because of flex.
Old 10-11-22, 01:32 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Iride01
I guess that's the sidewall of the tire. I am still sort of puzzled as to what I am seeing. Where is the rim?
Old 10-11-22, 03:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I guess sometimes I write a little cryptically. I knew where the rim was. I just couldn't see it as well as I would have liked. Perhaps I should have just said make a better picture that shows more of the rim!

I entirely missed the fork ends pointed the wrong way! So thanks for going to the trouble. Now I don't even feel we need new pics from the OP.
Old 10-11-22, 04:55 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I turned the forks around and it cured the brake issue, put new pads on, adjusted, and centered. Someone had previously spun the handlebar stem 180 degrees, which threw me off. I put it back and everything is . Thanks to all!
Old 10-11-22, 05:21 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by louky
I turned the forks around and it cured the brake issue!
Glad to help, and glad that it wasn’t a more troublesome fix!