Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Making city pay for crash

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Making city pay for crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 02:42 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Traffic control signage/barricading/warning and job site safety responsibility on active contracts generally falls on the contractor not the contracting agency.
Depends on the laws and legal climate of each state. In the northeast, public agencies often have strong sovereign immunity, and claims are tough to pursue. By contrast, in a state such as Arizona with near-zero agency immunity and zero limits on claims, agencies get sued over everything, including many items outside their operational control - and frequently end up settling because it's cheaper than litigation. In those places, a litigant will go after the contractor, the traffic control sub, and the contracting agency, even where there's arguable gross or reckless negligence on the part of the plaintiff - and recover some amount. Experts can make a minor variation from a Part 6 Guidance statement (cone spacing too far, reversed barricade) sound like a deliberate intent to hurt a road user, and unfortunately juries have agreed (sometimes to 6-7 figures.)

(I'm a Civil/Traffic PE and ATSSA TCT/TCS certified, but I'm not an attorney. This is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such.)
Old 10-12-22, 02:52 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The other two are believable, but how did the second picture (below) happen? How did the driver get the front over the ditch and stop before the back fell in??
By ripping out most of his front suspension. There was a guy in the trench box when he did this as well.

In the concrete one the truck was literally dumping concrete 20 feet ahead of this.
Old 10-12-22, 03:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
"Larry" is not the one who filed a claim and received the check.
Sorry, these threads can be difficult to follow.

So to summarize, a fellow cyclist settled for $11.68 and Larry only implied that he was negligent on a public forum. But I thought Larry got a flat, so will he also get $11.68?

John
Old 10-12-22, 03:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
All I see here is a group of negligent irresponsible cyclists racing through a construction zone. A city shouldn't be held liable for any damages or injuries, it's 100% cyclists fault for crashing and sustaining injuries and damages to their bikes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-12-22, 03:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
For the record I contend that I must have been riding with some negligence or I wouldn't have crashed, but I'm not telling woodside that. Cut the victim blaming though, I was wearing a helmet on the correct sized bike but most cycling fatalities occur when people are wearing helmets and you still get people commenting "was he wearing a helmet" and other victim blamey things. The cut was in the shade and hard to see, I didn't see it at all. I saw 8 flat tires and heard of a destroyed wheel from a seperate incident at the same spot, it was pretty bad lol.
You know that comments posted on a public forum can be used against you, right?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-12-22, 04:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
All I see here is a group of negligent irresponsible cyclists racing through a construction zone. A city shouldn't be held liable for any damages or injuries, it's 100% cyclists fault for crashing and sustaining injuries and damages to their bikes.
Even the city disagrees with you.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-12-22, 06:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Even the city disagrees with you.
I don't care who disagrees with me, I will stand by what I said...Any cyclist who has a bit of common sense knows that riding through road construction can be dangerous and requires some extra vigilance and awareness. It's the same thing with potholes and sewer grates and other road hazards, it's up to the cyclist to pay attention and look where they're going. Don't blame the city for getting a flat or crashing.
Old 10-12-22, 08:02 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I don't care who disagrees with me, I will stand by what I said...Any cyclist who has a bit of common sense knows that riding through road construction can be dangerous and requires some extra vigilance and awareness. It's the same thing with potholes and sewer grates and other road hazards, it's up to the cyclist to pay attention and look where they're going. Don't blame the city for getting a flat or crashing.
It wasn't marked.... we did not know it was a construction zone
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-12-22, 11:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
So, they were milling the existing pavement but there were no indications that it was a construction zone? No cones? No signs? No workers? No machines?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-13-22, 12:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The other two are believable, but how did the second picture (below) happen? How did the driver get the front over the ditch and stop before the back fell in??
That car hit hard. It has flatted the left front tire. Probably busted the rim. And, has blown out its lower control arms, and may have bent the frame. The right side could be just as bad.

It isn't driving away from that one. It could well be totaled.

The front tires hitting the rear of the wheel arches likely stop them cold.
Old 10-13-22, 12:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, they were milling the existing pavement but there were no indications that it was a construction zone? No cones? No signs? No workers? No machines?
I'm surprised there wouldn't be at least some cones. Perhaps construction signs limiting speed or notifying of a bump or sunken grade ahead.

Still, was it daylight? Can one see the lane markings disappeared?

It would seem like it would be hard to miss.

Perhaps the paceline limited the ability for the group to react.

The year I rode my Funny Bike to Portland, they were repaving Beaverton Hillsdale highway. I usually take the road transitions pretty carefully. But I had to ride about a mile stretch of rough ground road a couple of times. The whole bike wiggled and shook. Wow... the flex steel forks have!!!

It is hard to avoid that road, but I did get around it with some climbing and winding around the hillside across the valley.
Old 10-13-22, 07:33 AM
LarrySellerz

The lip was in shade right after a turn, I didn't see it at all. Really dont know how much more I can reiterate that it was not marked, thats literally the entire basis of the complaint. They just went to lunch or something and forgot to put up signs
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-13-22, 07:51 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
The lip was in shade right after a turn, I didn't see it at all. Really dont know how much more I can reiterate that it was not marked, thats literally the entire basis of the complaint. They just went to lunch or something and forgot to put up signs
So it was an active work zone that wasn't finished for the day...
Old 10-13-22, 07:58 AM
LarrySellerz

Yeah and THERE WAS NOT A VISIBLE SIGN!!! No indication of a work zone!
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-13-22, 08:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
They did all this work without any cones or markers of any type?
Old 10-13-22, 09:46 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Did the guys in the orange vests laugh and exchange cash?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-13-22, 10:36 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
When you plant yourself on that bike seat and start riding you need to pay attention. There are road hazards, if you are group riding and someone up front doesnt warn of an obstacle you may want to consider riding with someone else.
If I were to hit a sewer grate and wrecked because of it I believe it is my fault for not paying attention.
I help with sponsoring a ride this year and a guy at the bike shop said the road was a little to rough and some one might break a carbon rim on a certain road. My reply is dont ride that junk if it cant hold up. The damn lanes of the road are like 10 feet wide with little to no traffic so pay attention.
Also I know a guy that got hit by a car when he turned left in front of it, he said it didnt show up on his radar device. I almost laughed, didnt even reply. I turn my head to check when doing that and ride with a bar end mirror.
Just pay attention people.
Old 10-13-22, 12:50 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Most cities/counties around the country have recreational immunity laws/statutes in place, which gives them broad immunity against liability for any injury to a person engaged in a recreational activity on municipal property. Good luck trying to make any claims and expecting some big pay out. It's not going to happen.
Likes For prj71:
Old 10-13-22, 12:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
OP already admitted his own negligence.

I’m going to pass that admission along to city government.
Old 10-13-22, 01:05 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
So you found an abandoned, unmarked work zone in the shade on a bend? I don't suppose you have any evidence?

Because if that was true, that'd be seriously negligent and you should be suing for a lot of money.
Old 10-13-22, 01:16 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 941 Posts
???

If it was "active" (people working on it), there would be flagmen, etc. It wouldn't be left unmarked. If it was "active", there would be more warnings (to protect the workers and warn of hazards).

(It's fairly common, in my area, to see signs warning of future milling.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-13-22 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 01:17 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm surprised there wouldn't be at least some cones. Perhaps construction signs limiting speed or notifying of a bump or sunken grade ahead.
With a milled section, mostly what I've seen is signs at the side of the road. No cones at all. Maybe, the edge was painted. Maybe, the raised manholes were painted.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-13-22 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 01:22 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Herzlos
So you found an abandoned, unmarked work zone in the shade on a bend? I don't suppose you have any evidence?

Because if that was true, that'd be seriously negligent and you should be suing for a lot of money.
It seems some people here have never seen a milled section of road.

Generally speaking, they aren't a big deal to ride on (just kind of uncomfortable).
Old 10-13-22, 01:54 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Per Larry in the other thread:

"I crashed super hard today after hitting bump in a road that was being worked on, it got 6 people with flats but im the only one who went down. I was behind the group chasing at my limit and hit it at at least 25 mph."

"Kings mountain and 84, they were resurfacing the roads and left a 2 inch lip temporarily that got a bunch of us. Kinda embarrassed that I crashed I think I was too loose on the handlebars, cost of doing business. Moved a sign in the middle of the street to where the bump is with the blessing of two workers so hopefully nobody else crashes. Honestly not really sure how I crashed but it was a pretty gnarly bump, was in the red chasing which didn't help"

So you moved a sign with the blessing of two workers, but now you state there were no signs and no workers to be seen anywhere.....

Others got flats, but you crashed while riding beyond your ability. Sounds like you might have a plausible case to be reimbursed for a tube, but the crash was user error and no fault of the city.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 10-13-22, 02:06 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
some folks are having a hard time believing LarrySellerz that the site was not marked. i went looking at that last post just to see and there is only one pic. there are no markings of any kind that i can see. but i do recall another set of pics of the same incident but don't recall any signage. maybe the images were removed due to all the blood and guts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.