Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Making city pay for crash

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Making city pay for crash

Old 10-13-22, 02:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
some folks are having a hard time believing LarrySellerz that the site was not marked. i went looking at that last post just to see and there is only one pic. there are no markings of any kind that i can see. but i do recall another set of pics of the same incident but don't recall any signage. maybe the images were removed due to all the blood and guts.
If you are talking about the pic with the person fixing a flat, there's no (clear) evidence of construction (milled road). We don't really know what direction picture is relative to the construction.

That picture is also fairly far from any intersection.
Old 10-13-22, 02:34 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
If you are talking about the pic with the person fixing a flat, there's no (clear) evidence of construction (milled road). We don't really know what direction picture is relative to the construction.

That picture is also fairly far from any intersection.
yes, that is why i added the comment regarding missing pictures. i recall them, just not sure if they were in that thread or not. some road rash on larry but i do recall otehr images of the site.
Old 10-13-22, 02:44 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 361 Posts
So I thread the other thread and my comment here seems to have been bang on. Larry has mentioned there that he had no shirt or helmet, and was racing to keep up with a group. What I missed was that he stopped to smoke some weed, and whilst a few people in the group got flats, most were fine and only Larry went down.
He then cycled to work the next day, got sent home and then went on a detour. So he doesn't appear to have been that injured.
After the incident, he moved a warning sign with the blessing of some road workers. So it was an active work zone with at least some signage.
So I'm not actually sure what Larry thinks he could sue for.

The whole thing also seems to have happened a month ago.

Did I miss anything?
Old 10-13-22, 02:47 PM
Herzlos

It seems some people here have never seen a milled section of road.

Generally speaking, they aren't a big deal to ride on (just kind of uncomfortable).
Over here, a milled road section of road is when the top layer has been cut/scraped away. So it's certainly rough and there will be a lip where the cuts were made, but at a sensible speed (not 25mph) should be perfectly manageable even on super skinny 23mm tires.

Is it the same in the US?
Old 10-13-22, 02:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Over here, a milled road section of road is when the top layer has been cut/scraped away. So it's certainly rough and there will be a lip where the cuts were made, but at a sensible speed (not 25mph) should be perfectly manageable even on super skinny 23mm tires.

Yes.
Old 10-13-22, 02:55 PM
njkayaker

Yes, it's the same.

It was reported that the lip was 2 inches. Going off that would not be the same as going onto it. And seeing it would be different than not seeing it (it being a surprise).

At this point, we'd need some something objective (like a picture of the lip) and more information.

We have reports from the same person that there weren't any indications and that there were.

It's not even clear whether it was a milled surface or a new layer of asphalt.

Old 10-13-22, 03:28 PM
Herzlos

To be fair, all we know is that a rider who rides in a frankly dangerous manner had an accident.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 10-13-22, 03:57 PM
njkayaker

To be fair, all we know is that a rider who rides in a frankly dangerous manner had an accident.
Other riders had issues too.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 10-13-22, 04:27 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
So I thread the other thread and my comment here seems to have been bang on. Larry has mentioned there that he had no shirt or helmet, and was racing to keep up with a group. What I missed was that he stopped to smoke some weed, and whilst a few people in the group got flats, most were fine and only Larry went down.
He then cycled to work the next day, got sent home and then went on a detour. So he doesn't appear to have been that injured.
After the incident, he moved a warning sign with the blessing of some road workers. So it was an active work zone with at least some signage.
So I'm not actually sure what Larry thinks he could sue for.

The whole thing also seems to have happened a month ago.

Did I miss anything?
yes, the part about him sueing,, he never claimed to want to. At least that is not how I read his op.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-13-22, 05:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
yes, the part about him sueing,, he never claimed to want to. At least that is not how I read his op.
The last paragraph of the OP (especially the last sentence) at least hints at doing so.
Old 10-13-22, 05:40 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Have any of you tried getting compensation from a city when their negligence contributed to a crash? I lost a weeks worth of wages and caused hundreds of dollars of damage to my bike. I have gnarly pictures (I would post them but I dont wanna get banned.) but I rode home without seeking medical attention and didn't file a police report which might end of screwing me.
??? He's fairly-clearly considering doing so, which is darned close to wanting to. He would only be "screwed" if he sued. Otherwise, why even make the first post?
Old 10-13-22, 06:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Per Larry in the other thread:

"I crashed super hard today after hitting bump in a road that was being worked on, it got 6 people with flats but im the only one who went down. I was behind the group chasing at my limit and hit it at at least 25 mph."

"Kings mountain and 84, they were resurfacing the roads and left a 2 inch lip temporarily that got a bunch of us. Kinda embarrassed that I crashed I think I was too loose on the handlebars, cost of doing business. Moved a sign in the middle of the street to where the bump is with the blessing of two workers so hopefully nobody else crashes. Honestly not really sure how I crashed but it was a pretty gnarly bump, was in the red chasing which didn't help"

So you moved a sign with the blessing of two workers, but now you state there were no signs and no workers to be seen anywhere.....

Others got flats, but you crashed while riding beyond your ability. Sounds like you might have a plausible case to be reimbursed for a tube, but the crash was user error and no fault of the city.
It was a "T" intersection, the sign was facing the other end of the T and was not visible from the way we came. I moved the sign about 6 minutes after the crash and did not notice the sign or workers before the crash, so yeah I contend they were not there. The sign was not visible from the way I came, if it was we would have seen it and the ride wouldn't have gotten a bunch of flats and I would not have crashed. For what its worth I was far enough away from the ride that I couldn't see them react to the lip, for people in the pack it was worst for people in the front. People behind could react
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-13-22, 06:41 PM
LarrySellerz

??? He's fairly-clearly considering doing so, which is darned close to wanting to. He would only be "screwed" if he sued. Otherwise, why even make the first post?
For what its worth "sueing" isn't something thats really up my alley, my claim to the city would be well intentioned like "hey you guys really messed me up, here are some pics, you might even have other incidents reported at the same spot. Please give me back pay for time missed from work and damage done to my bicycle." The total amount would be ~1,000$ im not looking for a big payout.

The receipt I have from the bike shop is for 2 back wheels, 3 tubes, and labor (got 2 bikes fixed) Would be funny if I used that, if a little dishonest. Frankly most people would have gone to the hospital so if the city is responsible the amount I want is very reasonable from a purely economic point of view. The worst part is is that I owe woodside like 300$ for a traffic ticket that wasn't my fault at all, and they are probably gonna deny this claim and send that 300 to collections. So unfair.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-13-22, 10:19 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Most cities/counties around the country have recreational immunity laws/statutes in place, which gives them broad immunity against liability for any injury to a person engaged in a recreational activity on municipal property. Good luck trying to make any claims and expecting some big pay out. It's not going to happen.
Here in Hawaii the state and private landowners get sued all the time by hikers who get in over their heads in the mountains. So the state's solution is to make most everything illegal and you are then trespassing.

scott s.
Old 10-13-22, 10:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
It was a "T" intersection, the sign was facing the other end of the T and was not visible from the way we came. I moved the sign about 6 minutes after the crash and did not notice the sign or workers before the crash, so yeah I contend they were not there. The sign was not visible from the way I came, if it was we would have seen it and the ride wouldn't have gotten a bunch of flats and I would not have crashed. For what its worth I was far enough away from the ride that I couldn't see them react to the lip, for people in the pack it was worst for people in the front. People behind could react
If you hit the lip, then you were riding on the part of the road that had already been milled. You didn't notice that?
Old 10-14-22, 09:08 AM
njkayaker

For what its worth "sueing" isn't something thats really up my alley, my claim to the city would be well intentioned like "hey you guys really messed me up, here are some pics, you might even have other incidents reported at the same spot. Please give me back pay for time missed from work and damage done to my bicycle." The total amount would be ~1,000$ im not looking for a big payout.
No problem asking about it. I wasn't making a comment about that.

The receipt I have from the bike shop is for 2 back wheels, 3 tubes, and labor (got 2 bikes fixed) Would be funny if I used that, if a little dishonest. Frankly most people would have gone to the hospital so if the city is responsible the amount I want is very reasonable from a purely economic point of view. The worst part is is that I owe woodside like 300$ for a traffic ticket that wasn't my fault at all, and they are probably gonna deny this claim and send that 300 to collections. So unfair.
If you are asking for more than a tube, you probably need more "proof" (like a police report). Without that, there's no indication your damages happened there. Especially, 2 months later.
Old 10-14-22, 09:19 AM
njkayaker

It would not be a good legal strategy to contend a sign you moved as being "not there". That you can't describe what happened clearly isn't doing you any favors either.

Was the road milled or was it a new surface?
Did you ride off of a lip or did you ride into the lip?

Given all the flats, it seems more likely you road into the lip/rise. If so, you were riding on the milled surface.
Old 10-14-22, 07:58 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you hit the lip, then you were riding on the part of the road that had already been milled. You didn't notice that?
No I didn't notice
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-14-22, 08:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
I must have been riding with some negligence or I wouldn't have crashed, but I'm not telling woodside that. .
You probably just did.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 10-14-22 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-14-22, 08:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You probable just did.
if they have an intern monitoring bike forums and put two and two together then good for them. Im not trying to cheat anyone, even if I was negligent the city still played no small part
Old 10-14-22, 08:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
If you are serious, you should get a lawyer to take your case on contingency. The good thing about that is that they are unlikely to bother unless it is a winnable case.

It is when you decide to pursue it that what you say on an internet forum could be used to undermine you.

It is why they tell people not to discuss motorist/cyclists collisions in the forums.
Old 10-15-22, 06:33 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It appears a fair amount of people didn’t notice it.
Old 10-15-22, 06:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That's what happens when people get into a " group mentality "...the entire herd just follows each other and rushes over the cliff edge.
Old 10-15-22, 07:45 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
City and local municipalities pay for cyclists' injuries all the time, as a result of pot hole accidents.
All you have to show (at least here) is that the City caused the pothole (like one of their own workers didn't patch properly) or that the City knew about the pothole and failed to repair it (like if they received prior written complaints).

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-15-22, 11:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Sure, but were they riding at 25 mph on the milled surface like our crash victim?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.