Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel faster than carbon?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel faster than carbon?

Old 10-26-22, 05:23 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
What's the deal with the unwarranted sarcasm? I'm merely curious as to the performance of bike frame materials. If the subject doesn't interest you, no problem, just move on...
Ignore the troll.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 10-26-22, 05:31 PM
bikehoco

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What’s so hard about ignoring posts you don’t think are worth your time?
Well stated.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 10-26-22, 05:38 PM
bikehoco

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
I sometimes wondered how certain users managed to rack up so many posts into the tens of thousands, regardless of how long they've been active on the forum. This thread helps clarify as it's the same few long timers who need to come in every thread and try to criticize the OP, derail any conversation, and make the same jokes that weren't funny the 20th time they posted in every other new thread.
Trolls like that generally have no personal life so they anonymously go online to harass others.
Old 10-26-22, 05:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=14532761

...if there has been some point made about this topic, that has not already been made before, I would be overjoyed.
Old 10-26-22, 05:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
Trolls like that generally have no personal life so they anonymously go online to harass others.

I KNEW it!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 06:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
...in 2007 steel versus carbon, is there really a difference? only went 40 posts before people got bored with it.
Interest in the topic seems to have increased over the years, because...more recently, Steel versus Carbon - Total Weight went almost 550 posts before it died.

Back when we made the transition from wood to steel, I remember there was similar controversy. A lot of guys objected to cranks and pedals, too. Too mechanically complex, cost was excessive, extra weight to slow you down, etc, etc.

Old 10-26-22, 06:25 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Any insight into what caused this?
Differences between two things (not just bikes, but almost any two things) can be hard to show if the tests aren't done carefully. Sometimes differences are large so even rough analyses can show the difference; but the smaller the difference, the more careful you have to be. In this particular case, it appears that the results are inconclusive because the experiments weren't conclusive.
Likes For RChung:
Old 10-26-22, 07:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10394 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
I swear to god, it's like some people have no scroll wheel on their mouse.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-26-22, 07:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do I really need to explain I was going along with your joke by combining two of the trolliest thread topics around? (Dog threads and waving threads.)

Lighten up, Francis.
Francis? You know the best way and surest way to show you are kidding an not being a jerk is by putting a at the end of your phrases. I have seen you attack countless people and so your reputation colors what is written. So now you know. Let’s call this for you and your groupies a “teachable moment”.

P.S. In case you’ve never heard, name calling never strengthened anyone’s argument, it only weakened it. Two teachable moments for the price of one.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-26-22 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-26-22, 08:18 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CHk54Mm5P_7vbzbhoHoZ_SjcGgICNWXL8ZewfITtpdo/mobilebasic

Any insight into what caused this?
Yep. It's the internet.

Someone writes up an article, adds a couple of still photos, and charts knowing that someone out there will believe it because it aligns with a preconceived position.

Pretty bold statements with nothing other than the author's word that any of this even took place; no third party, no verification, nothing.

And somehow all this is true because he looks like he's going so fast.

John
Old 10-26-22, 08:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,932 Times in 4,669 Posts
It’s the entire thread I want you to ignore, not individual posts.
I won't promise to ignore an entire thread, but I will put you on my ignore list. It's not all that you asked for, but it's a start!

Originally Posted by badger1
The original poster here gave 'his' game away way back in his post #11: the original post was, of course, just a Trojan Horse for the good ole' 'Big Bike Scam' meme.

But, hey ... let's 'drill down' and 'lean in', as they (whoever they are) say. I had some fun actually going to and looking at the original 'test report' the op cited. Gold, Jerry, Gold!! I was impressed.

I maintain, therefore, that I have taken the op and his original post entirely seriously, through close and careful reading, and tried my best to exercise due diligence and respond intelligently and helpfully to the thread's subject.
Precisely. A few scolds are complaining that a disingenuous poster with an agenda, who led with a couple "tests" that wouldn't pass muster in a middle school science fair, was not taken seriously. Apparently, scolds are also rubes.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if there has been some point made about this topic, that has not already been made before, I would be overjoyed.
Precisely. Even if the OP were serious, the topic has been hashed, re-hashed, vomited up and re-hashed again and again, ad infinitum. This is a prime example of why forums have search functions and why google exists.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-26-22, 09:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Attilio
Weight has an almost negligible effect on speed except in the wheels but the frame can be 5-10lb heavier and if you calculate the bike should only be something like a few tenths of a mph faster in the flats. Even on hills it makes a bigger difference but thanks to the rolling of the wheels which takes away much of the work of moving the weight small differences in mass like that are nearly inconsequential.

Yet a bike that is 5lbs lighter than another bike all else being equal is going to be faster and the weight is a good proxy indicator for the extra speed even though the weight itself changes little. This is because a bike that is lighter is stiffer. The lighter means that the material can be made to flex less while being thinner hence the weight savings and it's that flexing less that allows more of your power to spin the wheels as opposed to moving the frame. So the weight is a good measurement for how fast a bike will be but not because it's lighter, but rather that lighter bikes are more efficient and thus faster.

The difference is often amplified because lighter bikes are also more expensive thus nicer so all the componentry will be better. You have better groupsets, as I said lighter wheels too and these items all put together also help to make the bike faster assuming same rider and same power output.

Aero makes a huge difference though. Maybe not the frame or the bar but your body position especially does. Try getting on the drops or if you have a flat bar bike just lean more forward you will go for same effort about ~2mph faster depending on speed.
You speak the truth. Today without trying I rode the 25lb steel bike 30 miles over some roads I usually ride my carbon. To my surprise I had 3 2nd fastest times on flat Strava segments, without even trying. However, I did make a major change before the ride. I changed the tires from Gatorskins to Conti 5000s. The difference was absolutely unbelievable. The gators are going in the trash. See ya later, gator.

Oh another MAJOR difference which has nothing to do with carbon or steel is the grearing for climbs. My largest cog on the steel bike is a 15/36. The carbon has a 36/34 for the hills. Doing 15% climbs on my old steel bike with that gearing was a challenge today. Maybe that’s why I hurt.

Old 10-26-22, 09:15 PM
amazinmets73

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Hmm. Strange you think I have an agenda. I'd been operating on the belief that carbon is superior to all metal frame materials as a race bike due to power transfer. I found a study that seemed to dispel this belief and was curious as to what caused it. In the proceeding post I provided an experiment that exemplified carbon was indeed superior to metal (this experiment was derided as well.) Why would I do that if I had an agenda? I'm just genuinely curious.

And while I do have issues with the modern bike industry, it's not due to the use of carbon fiber...

Last edited by amazinmets73; 10-26-22 at 09:33 PM.
Likes For amazinmets73:
Old 10-26-22, 09:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,932 Times in 4,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
Yet a bike that is 5lbs lighter than another bike all else being equal is going to be faster and the weight is a good proxy indicator for the extra speed even though the weight itself changes little. This is because a bike that is lighter is stiffer. The lighter means that the material can be made to flex less while being thinner hence the weight savings and it's that flexing less that allows more of your power to spin the wheels as opposed to moving the frame. So the weight is a good measurement for how fast a bike will be but not because it's lighter, but rather that lighter bikes are more efficient and thus faster.
This paragraph is a mess, but in essence it is completely incorrect. Categorically, definitively, incorrect. The exact opposite of correct.

All else being equal, lighter = less stiff. That's true for frames, forks, rims, handlebars...Pretty much everything that goes into a bike. If it weren't true, my steel frames would all have tubes with .05mm wall thicknesses, and they'd be stiff as hell; in reality, such a frame would crumple under a lightweight rider before making it to the end of the driveway.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-26-22, 09:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
<edited version>

Really guys, what is so hard about just ignoring a thread if you don't think it's worth your time? Why do you need to continue to pat yourselves on the back for how amazing you are as forum users?

... because you've derailed every previous thread on a topic and won't let one get by without your steering it away from actual discussion and into stupid arguments, and then complain about how all similar threads always end up with stupid arguments.

I sometimes wondered how certain users managed to rack up so many posts into the tens of thousands, regardless of how long they've been active on the forum. This thread helps clarify as it's the same few long timers who need to come in every thread and try to criticize the OP, derail any conversation, and make the same jokes that weren't funny the 20th time they posted in every other new thread.
See how just switching your whining complaint around a little bit makes it obvious that you had no actual question but were just here to .... complain about people interrupting threads to go off-topic.

Really, what would have been so hard about just ignoring this and all those other threads, instead of coming here to criticize other posters?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-26-22, 10:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

NumbersGuy, don’t waste your breath or time on them, because they will just twist it around on you. Bullies and trolls can’t and won’t change their stripes no matter how logical your approach. BTDT. The best thing to do is put them on your Ignore list. It makes this a much more pleasant place.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-26-22, 10:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I swear to god, it's like some people have no scroll wheel on their mouse.

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-26-22, 10:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Hmm. Strange you think I have an agenda. I'd been operating on the belief that carbon is superior to all metal frame materials as a race bike due to power transfer. I found a study that seemed to dispel this belief and was curious as to what caused it...
You might find this of interest: https://www.renehersecycles.com/what-makes-a-bike-fast/
Old 10-26-22, 11:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
NumbersGuy, don’t waste your breath or time on them, because they will just twist it around on you. Bullies and trolls can’t and won’t change their stripes no matter how logical your approach.
Well ,,,, if a person posts a complaint about people not posting what he likes .... and suggest that those other posters Not post in threads where others post thing they don't like .... that is a pretty fair description of hypocrisy.

A "logical approach" would be to not read and respond to threads and or posts he didn't like.

I agree with you though .... the guy shouldn't waste his time or breath (or the skin of his fingertips) responding here.

As @badger1 noted ... the original post was not itself logical ... it was a joke of a post made by a person who wanted others to think for him .... or wanted to see others argue for his amusement.

If people want us to take jokes seriously .... well, that is their option.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-27-22, 03:27 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
So I recently completed a carbon bike build and I was really surprised at how comfortable the thing was. Much more than my Alu or steel bikes.

btw, between alu and steel I could tell no difference aside from the skinny tubes being a little nicer to carry. But full carbon there definitely is something there.
Likes For adlai:
Old 10-27-22, 04:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Francis? You know the best way and surest way to show you are kidding an not being a jerk is by putting a at the end of your phrases. I have seen you attack countless people and so your reputation colors what is written. So now you know. Let’s call this for you and your groupies a “teachable moment”.

P.S. In case you’ve never heard, name calling never strengthened anyone’s argument, it only weakened it. Two teachable moments for the price of one.

Seriously, this is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. How could you possibly infer any kind of "attack" from a question about waving at dogs? I'm not doing emojis just because you have some sort of weird grudge against me that makes you act with offense at an obviously inoffensive silly question.
​​

Now if you don't mind, your yelling at clouds is killing my groupies' buzz.

P.S. Your teachable moments are providing an example of how silly you get when you can't admit the joke went over your head and instead go on offense.

​​​​​​
Old 10-27-22, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Bullies and trolls can’t and won’t change their stripes no matter how logical your approach.

Those who can't do, teach. QED

BTW, "trolls can't and won't change their stripes" is a really terrible mixed metaphor. Two lessons for the price of one, indeed.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-27-22 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-27-22, 05:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I've always wanted to see the results of, say an 18lbs steel racing bike with modern components and rim brakes matched against a 17lbs carbon aero bike with discs. Same for a 10 year old top-of-the-line 16lbs rim brake carbon bike vs the latest disc brake carbon wonder bike. The fact that bike manufacturers are reluctant to conduct these tests caused me to suspect the results wouldn't be to the likings of their profit margins.

The modern bike industry is a scam so far as I'm concerned.
Hmm. Strange you think I have an agenda. I'd been operating on the belief that carbon is superior to all metal frame materials as a race bike due to power transfer. I found a study that seemed to dispel this belief and was curious as to what caused it. In the proceeding post I provided an experiment that exemplified carbon was indeed superior to metal (this experiment was derided as well.) Why would I do that if I had an agenda? I'm just genuinely curious.

And while I do have issues with the modern bike industry, it's not due to the use of carbon fiber...

If you weren't trying to link the op "study" to a larger agenda about the bike industry, why would you post the above that makes that link explicit?

I'm going to take you at your word that you weren't just trolling for a fight, but you really are trying to evade responsibility for why it turned out that way. You posed a question in the op requesting an explanation of the results of the "study" you linked to. So far no problem. When it was pointed out to you that this was really just an incompetent attempt to draw conclusions from a completely dubious experimental setup, you moved the goalposts to demanding someone produce studies that disproved the assertions rather than seriously discussing how hard such a study would be to design.

I disagree with a lot of posters on this thread that the subject is already done. It makes sense to me to occasionally revisit a "x vs. y" issue because technologies, product lines and economies change over time, and we also get more experience with the newer technologies, so it's nice to get some more informed perspectives than were possible a few years ago. I think that's a serious conversation, but I don't think that's what you framed here when you won't concede that the people who bothered to take apart the "study" had a point.

I'm also getting rather sick of the holier than thou crowd that seems to believe that they are the only ones who can disagree with people's opinions without it being trolling. If you don't want to argue about your opinions, don't post them in a forum of people who obviously will have their own opinions.
​​​

​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-27-22, 06:44 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Let's talk about which chain lube is best or whether rim or disc brakes are better.
Old 10-27-22, 07:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Let's talk about which chain lube is best or whether rim or disc brakes are better.
See post #35, and try to keep up next time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.