Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storing bikes outside

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Storing bikes outside

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-22, 01:39 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I can and do store bikes inside, I just like keeping the one I ride everyday outside so i dont have to bring it in and out all the time.
Old 10-30-22, 01:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I can and do store bikes inside, I just like keeping the one I ride everyday outside so i dont have to bring it in and out all the time.
So keep it outside. But you still haven’t explained what the big deal is with bringing it in and out.

P.S. You wrote “them” in your OP, not “it.”

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-30-22 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-30-22, 02:23 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I will add that I do long tours where the bike lives outside for a few months at a time. It does okay, but I wwouldn't choose to leave it out year round if at home and there was a choice.

Way back in the day we did have old coaster brake pre ww2 vintage bikes that lived outside. They were built like tanks and we repacked or at least oiled bearings somewhat frequently.

I guess it depends on the bike and your willingness to haul it in and out and how fussy you are about your bike. Raising a garage door seems like a pretty minimal effort for a lot of protection from the elements. On the other hand if you have some shelter outside like being under a porch roof it might be nearly as protected as in a non climate controlled garage.

How nice is the bike? What is the climate like? Is there any shelter at all where you will store it. When I was young and living in an apartment that was difficult to bring a bike in I kept a bike on a screened in porch where the stairs to take it in were steep and narrow and it would have been easy to bang up the drywall. The bike was an inexpensive one and the screened in porch was sheltered fairly well. With that set of factors it didn't seem like too bad of an idea.
Old 10-30-22, 03:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
extraordinarily heavy or…misaligned or apt to come off its hinges.
Are we talking about the garage door, or a poster…?
Old 10-30-22, 03:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
^^^^Post of the month, at least.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-30-22, 03:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I am picturing maybe a garage door is extraordinarily heavy or difficult to open, misaligned or apt to come off its hinges, in which maybe leaving the bike outside is the better choice.
Why not imagine a garage door which is welded shut, but there is a plugged-in welder or an oxy-acetylene torch nearby .... garage-door users are expected to re-weld the door after using?

Why not imagine a garage door guarded by a dragon?

Why not imagine a garage door guarded by a curse, with evil spirits waiting to consume the souls of anyone who dares open the door.?

If we want to imagine ridiculous scenarios which the OP didn't mention,. at least we should be creative.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-30-22, 04:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
The door may be guarded by a "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" sign.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-30-22, 04:19 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you leave them outside in the driveway, dad will be mad as hell in the morning.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-30-22, 06:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don’t think that is what he’s saying at all. It was merely an observation re: indoor bike accommodations based upon Larry’s oft repeated assertions. He didn’t judge, criticize, etc., based on those assertions.

In any event, and as I got at previously, if opening and closing a garage is the only impediment to storing a bike indoors, I believe the answer to the question is a no-brainer. That is why, without knowing more (e.g., the garage is a mile away), I question the sincerity of the question.
Nah, the implication was Larry was in a program, a reentry into society house, and that was done mockingly, it was a personal attack to be funny. I get that some people are easy to tease, and Larry is one, and he generally takes it with a good sense of humor, but there is a difference between good natured ribbing, and mocking someone. Implying someone is in a reentry house mockingly when they aren't or mocking someone who actually is in one, is a personal attack in my book and isn't necessary. If someone is in a program, good for them, don't put them down, or make fun of their situation. If they aren't in a program, then implying they are the way it was done in that post, is simply mocking the individual and therefor a personal attack.

There are a lot lighthearted jokes that can be made, that though wasn't one of them.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-30-22, 06:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Obviously those already here know the OP and what they are up to. For those who are just coming to the party and reading this and thinking maybe it was legitimate it wasn't but let's talk about it anyway.

It is bad to store a bike outside a tarp can cover from elements coming down but will not protect against humidity and extreme temperature changes. Luckily there are tons of solutions for storing bikes out of the way and plenty of lighterweight bikes for those who need to get it up and downstairs and if you are really desperate and are OK with sacrificing the ride of the bike and having larger wheels there are some great folding bikes out there (Tern, Birdy, Dahon, Brompton...). It is also bad to store a bike for theft reasons, a bike left outside especially overnight is an excellent target for theft as people are asleep and you can use tools for longer periods without as many issues and could have a large crew of people and nobody would really notice or care.

If you must store it outside for some really strange reason and you have no way to keep it in a somewhat temperature or humidity controlled environment, make sure you are regularly cleaning the bike and lubricating the chain and other important points (cables and bearings as needed) and you are replacing rubber more often and bring it in for regular service with more frequency than normal if you want to keep it in good condition. Try to elevate it off the ground and cover it well both from the elements and UV rays and keep tires properly inflated for the weather conditions. Also ride the bike a bunch because bike riding is fun.

Wear a shirt, don't drink too much dumpster vodka and be respectful to your fellow riders or just ride alone and stay away from others and life will be pretty decent : )
Old 10-30-22, 06:49 PM
LarrySellerz

The bike sits in a bike rack at work, so between that and commuting/errands/other rides its already gonna be outside around half the time anyways. its simpler to park it against the house than taking it inside and propping it on something, not much simpler but a little bit simpler. Theft is not an issue in my area, thats part of the reason I choose to live wear I do.

stop telling me to wear a shirt guys, and im not the dumpster vodka guy and I wave to everyone/am not rude.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-30-22, 07:08 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I’m outdoors 14 hrs a day. My bikes are out 24/7. One sits under a tree, one on a covered deck and two under a tarp. I can grab any one and ride. Not much corrosion but some mold on the tarped ones.

79pmooney covered it.

quite the pub atmosphere
Likes For LeeG:
Old 10-30-22, 08:33 PM
amazinmets73

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
A bike stored outside here will be a stolen bike.
This. The only bike I ever stored outside was a throwaway bike. I'd never store a half-decent bike outside.
Old 10-31-22, 01:15 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by phughes
I agree with Larry on this one. The post he replied to can be seen as a personal attack and was uncalled for.
it is offensive, im not somehow lesser because I live in a sober living home. Its pretty cheap and located in a very convenient place for me, and i live here because I want to not because Im ordered to by a court or something. I reacted how I did because he has a history of personal attacks against me
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-31-22, 01:21 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
it is offensive, im not somehow lesser because I live in a sober living home. Its pretty cheap and located in a very convenient place for me, and i live here because I want to not because Im ordered to by a court or something. I reacted how I did because he has a history of personal attacks against me
Living at a sober house is one of the cheapest and easiest ways for a young adult to afford lodging in a nice part of town. Not the best but easy to bang. AA sucks my nuts tho.

Last edited by DonkeyShow; 10-31-22 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-31-22, 01:36 AM
LarrySellerz

also the idea that Im not allowed to store my bike inside is ridiculous and derailing the point of the thread (Would someone choose to store their main horse outside?)
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-31-22, 01:58 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I have an old-school metal pogo stick that I've left outside for maybe 2 years now. I'll check if it still works.
Old 10-31-22, 02:00 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
When I was young, our bikes were "outside" bikes. No garage. I guess we could have carried them into the house and down into the basement, but that's not what kids do. A couple squirts from those old-school oilers (where you press the bottom and some oil comes out the spout) in the various operating bits (like r der) and away we went. Of course, this is with good old American heavy as **** steel bikes. And this is through Wisconsin winters.

scott s.
Old 10-31-22, 04:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
The bike sits in a bike rack at work, so between that and commuting/errands/other rides its already gonna be outside around half the time anyways. its simpler to park it against the house than taking it inside and propping it on something, not much simpler but a little bit simpler. Theft is not an issue in my area, thats part of the reason I choose to live wear I do.
It’s clear you have your mind made up, so leave it outside.

/thread
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-31-22, 05:31 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Hey guys, for bikes that you ride most days, do you store them inside or outside? I typically store them outside because its easier than taking it in and out/opening the garage door etc.

I kept my single speed with cheap cable actuated disc brakes sitting outside for about a month and when I went to ride it again the back brake was rubbing pretty badly, could storing inside vs outside be the cause of that? I live in a dry climate
To answer your question I store mine inside. I’ve got a garage with a well functioning door opener so it’s no hassle at all for me. I suspect light surface corrosion on the rotor and maybe a sticking cable was the cause of the rubbing. It can still happen over time if it is outside even in a relatively dry environment.
Old 10-31-22, 05:50 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I reacted how I did because he has a history of personal attacks against me
You have a history of making these troll threads which has opened you up to 90% of the derision you have received on this board. Rarely if at all have you posted a legitimate question. I believe I am not alone in the opinion that you derive some enjoyment making these silly threads to see ho many pages they can get. When the trolls were purged this summer, you probably survived because at least to some degree your posts can be entertaining.

also the idea that Im not allowed to store my bike inside is ridiculous and derailing the point of the thread (Would someone choose to store their main horse outside?)
The point of this thread like all your others is to go off the rails.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
It’s clear you have your mind made up, so leave it outside.
/thread
He is just making up his mind what to troll next.

But to stay on topic for Larry...
I do not own a bike that I would leave outside for any reason. And that includes a 1970 Gazelle with a broken seat stay, a 1954 Hercules with a damaged fork and headset, a 1973 Schwinn Suburban that I didn't even want to own in the first place and an early 80s Carabela that I bought simply for parts. My four regular riders and my wife's mixte are surprisingly easy to store inside so I see no need to lessen the condition of them to save the time it takes to open and close the door behind me

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-31-22, 06:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
All the BS aside, the guy says he leaves his bike outside because it is easier, and then complains that he sees negative effects because he leaves it outside.

So ... is it easier to bring the bike inside, or easier to do increased maintenance because he leaves it exposed?

I don't much care.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-31-22, 07:48 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Somebody, somewhere, recently posted some bikes hung under a wide eave, by their front wheels. One of the better outdoor ideas I’ve seen.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 10-31-22, 08:01 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm pretty sure if you leave them outside in the driveway, dad will be mad as hell in the morning.
My kids used to come home on the bike and just throw it down on the driveway. I would ask them to bring up to the house, and most often would check.
I was running late one morning, neglected to check, and ran over one of the bikes which then poked a perfectly round hole into the gas tank of my (then) '73 Impala. I can't exactly recall the amount of gas that thing held but it was most likely a small environmental disaster on the drive there. The extra bonus being I was REALLY late then...
Old 10-31-22, 08:25 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
If you value the bike and can store it inside somewhere that's easy to get to, then do so.

Otherwise, at least try and keep the rain off it.

Then go enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.