Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Digital Drive

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Digital Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 08:10 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 291 Posts
Digital Drive

I had never heard of digital drive. It certainly wouldn't make any sense for my type of riding, but it might make sense for some ebike users. I could understand for some who ride throttle ebikes could use the pedals to generate electricity for charging the battery rather than actually engaging the wheel. It might be a sensible way to increasing range...
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 11-18-22, 08:19 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Yes, another stupid thing to sell to wannabees. Hope they make millions.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 11-18-22, 08:38 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
At least they were honest about the shortcomings.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 11-18-22, 09:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
It will be interesting to look at this thread/subject in 10 or 15 years. It doesn't seem so far fetched to me.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-19-22, 12:28 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
It will be interesting to look at this thread/subject in 10 or 15 years. It doesn't seem so far fetched to me.
Don't look for it to get much different. No matter what they try they aren't going to substantially improve the electrical efficiency of motors or generators, and adding more sophisticated control electronics will only make it worse by siphoning off more power to run those.

These bikes are going to weigh about 70 pounds already, without adding a battery (and more control circuitry) to it--and remember that the frame has to be strengthened made heavier to accommodate that. And can you say, 'proprietary parts'?

As much as I have a philosophical objection (and one very practical one) to derailleur drives, even I have to admire their efficiency. The only way to turn a bicycle wheel more efficiently is to make it a single-speed coaxial drive, typical of the old penny-farthings and most unicycles.
Old 11-19-22, 01:00 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Don't look for it to get much different. No matter what they try they aren't going to substantially improve the electrical efficiency of motors or generators, and adding more sophisticated control electronics will only make it worse by siphoning off more power to run those.

These bikes are going to weigh about 70 pounds already, without adding a battery (and more control circuitry) to it--and remember that the frame has to be strengthened made heavier to accommodate that. And can you say, 'proprietary parts'?

As much as I have a philosophical objection (and one very practical one) to derailleur drives, even I have to admire their efficiency. The only way to turn a bicycle wheel more efficiently is to make it a single-speed coaxial drive, typical of the old penny-farthings and most unicycles.
You may be right. I'm no engineer and certainly am not saying I expect this sort of thing to become viable. But I stand by my comment that it will be interesting to see what the next 10-15 years brings into e-bike technology.
Old 11-19-22, 09:28 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Moved from General

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-19-22, 09:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
You'll have energy loss from both the generator and the motor; a chain drive would be more efficient.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-20-22, 12:02 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Tried more than a few times. The Mando Footlose was one of the early flops. A human being pedaling a generator cannot generate enough power to turn the motor on an ebike. So when the battery is dead, you gotta sit there and pump for an hour to get enough charge to go a few minutes.

Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 11-22-22, 05:34 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You may be right. I'm no engineer and certainly am not saying I expect this sort of thing to become viable. But I stand by my comment that it will be interesting to see what the next 10-15 years brings into e-bike technology.
What has 10 - 15 years till the present time brought in the way of innovation in e-bike development? Seems to me that interesting ideas like the Tidal Force and SuperPedestrian projects briefly got the interest of consumers and Venture Capitalists but ... so I'm not taking that bet. Rather I am predicting more of the same. Smartphones will be self aware in 15 years but e-bikes will still rely on Li-ion batteries and Class 1 will still be 20mph or it may be less! 12mph is a possible restriction on the top speed of an assisted bicycle in 10 years. How much sophistication does a vehicle with that limited a performance envelope need? <shrug>
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-23-22, 08:47 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I am the first to say that I like belt drive. It offers almost chainlike efficiency along with cleanliness (but don't let anyone tell you that you can't throw a belt in traffic).

It comes down to how much inefficiency I am willing to deal with. the generator/motor drive (yes, I refuse to use the Analog / Digital nomenclature) is just too inefficient. It might work as a way to cheat into Class 3 with no real effort on the part of the user. However, I think it would be easier just to ramp up the torque sensor sensitivity. I can see it potentially easier to change the tyres.

I can see a use in some velomobiles. particularly velomobiles focused on transportation instead of enthusiasts. The more I think about it, I see this as a good application.

All that said, I see it as a solution in search of a problem.