Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Packing question for the bike-packers.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 11-10-22, 08:57 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts

I have a Ridley Kanzo Adventure which I mainly ride for fire roads and gravel, but it has multiple mounts designed for overnight trips as well. I'm also a backpacker for context.

I've been working out a bag system using my favorite Revelate brand and the one issue I just can't work out is how to pack one-person tent poles on a drop-bar bike. When collapsed, the poles are 19.5" long which is too long to fit between the levers on the handlebars and just a hair too long to fit inside the top tube with a large frame bag (the 56cm frame has 19" of space between the seat tube and head tube).

Absent strapping tent poles with zip ties somewhere I'm at a loss of how to pack them. Can experienced bike-packers give a backpacker some guidance?
Old 11-11-22, 02:25 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Downtube being longer than top:-

If you have a close to full size framebag, where there's straps wrapping around the downtube, you can use those strap points as anchoring spots from where to wrap around velco straps holding tightly the poles.
i.e. the poles end up being strapped somewhere along the downtube side e.g. non drive-side. You'll only need two velco lengths at opposing pole ends.

Even if you have a smaller framebag that has only one downtube strapping point for example, you can use that point and a second position against your downtube bottle cage [if you have a cage there] to strap the poles against. I find a velcro length that is 1-1.5cm wide, wide enough to get a good clamp-down tightness against the frame tube. Easier to remove and re-wrap than cable ties.
Old 11-11-22, 12:26 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I have a 56 cm steel bike with a Relevate full frame bag. My tent poles must go in first, right on top of the downtube. There is a divider that is secured with velcro that can be pulled out of the way.
Old 11-12-22, 07:15 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I was having the same issue that the OP has. I ended up ordering a set of replacement tent poles and
extra connectors. Then I removed the shock cord and cut the poles in half. Glued the connectors onto the ends of the pieces without a connector (except the ends) and re strung the shock cord. Now my poles are just under 10” long and can be strapped to the handlebars, top tube, or down tube… they will even fit into my tail pack if I so choose.
Old 11-13-22, 02:50 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
This is a general enough issue that there are now tents designed with poles that have shorter segments (or that offer such poles as options), specificaly for bikepacking. (Mine is from 6 Moon Designs.) Some tents should be straightforward to Retrofit, others not so much...
Old 11-13-22, 03:45 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Strap to the rear under seat bag ?, strap alongside the frame bag on the top tube ?
Old 11-16-22, 01:00 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
Big Agnes (who makes pretty good tents generally) has a series of bikepacking-specific tents, and the main feature is the shorter poles, as well as a compression sack that is purpose-made to mount directly to a bike frame/bars.

https://www.bigagnes.com/collections/bikepacking-tents
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 11-17-22, 03:11 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
The first tent I used for bikepacking had long pokes and my bike was 47cm. I strapped it to the underneath of the downtube. I now either use and alpkit elan hooped bivvy or an alpkit soloist tent. Both of those can fit the poles either in between my brifters (tent) or in my saddlebag (bivvy). I could probably also fit the tent poles in my saddlebag as well to be honest
Old 11-17-22, 04:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
My First Camping Trip.
600 Miles with a Loaner Tent and Panniers

Old 11-22-22, 08:56 AM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I struggled with that too. Tried using a bivvy bag and didn't love it. +1 on the bike packing specific tent.... I ended up with the Nemo Dragonfly bike-packing tent. Nice short poles. The bag and poles fit between the handlebars.
Old 12-01-22, 11:05 PM
MattyWillPDX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I also had that issue but purchased a Big Agnes tent with shorter poles and compression. Mine has found a spot on one side of my fork. Worth the investment.

Last edited by MattyWillPDX; 12-01-22 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-02-22, 12:18 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You can get custom poles made too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-02-22, 07:55 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You can get custom poles made too.
I used Tent Pole Technologies in Vancouver, WA just outside of Portland. They do warranty work for several brands including REI. They made a four-segment carbon pole for my Six Moon tent that replaced the three segment aluminum pole that came with the tent. It easily fits in a frame bag and gives me more packing options for the tent itself.

https://tentpoletechnologies.com

it didn’t hurt that Six Moon Designs and Tent Pole Technologies are both local to me.
Likes For aggiegrads: