Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Steel is pretty good

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Steel is pretty good

Old 12-07-22, 09:30 PM
don compton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Steel is pretty good

As I have mentioned before, at 70 I started to ride again. I was never into racing, just clubs rides, centuries, and many overnighters with our riding group. I was a very high level golfer with a very bad back. In 1984 after watching the Olympic road race in Costa Mesa, I decided that maybe cycling could help my overall fitness. Well, I got hooked on cycling. I just really enjoyed it and I felt it was an escape from my horribly competitive experience in golf. I rode 7-9000 miles a year from the early eighties to 2017. I broke my leg in 2017 and was laid up for six months. At 65yo, it was a real revelation.
Getting back to steel, I have two bikes that I ride( I own many more).
After riding my Trek Domane ( which I really like), I decided to put my 10+ yo Steve Rex back together. It was designed like a Rivendell, room for large tires and a slightly longer wheelbase than racing bikes(a lot like the Domane).
Well, I really like the old Rex. The Domane's lighter weight will help in the hills, but the Rex with my 32c tubeless tires is a dream to ride.
Likes For don compton:
Old 12-08-22, 05:56 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by don compton
As I have mentioned before, at 70 I started to ride again. I was never into racing, just clubs rides, centuries, and many overnighters with our riding group. I was a very high level golfer with a very bad back. In 1984 after watching the Olympic road race in Costa Mesa, I decided that maybe cycling could help my overall fitness. Well, I got hooked on cycling. I just really enjoyed it and I felt it was an escape from my horribly competitive experience in golf. I rode 7-9000 miles a year from the early eighties to 2017. I broke my leg in 2017 and was laid up for six months. At 65yo, it was a real revelation.
Getting back to steel, I have two bikes that I ride( I own many more).
After riding my Trek Domane ( which I really like), I decided to put my 10+ yo Steve Rex back together. It was designed like a Rivendell, room for large tires and a slightly longer wheelbase than racing bikes(a lot like the Domane).
Well, I really like the old Rex. The Domane's lighter weight will help in the hills, but the Rex with my 32c tubeless tires is a dream to ride.
Welcome back to the fold! Often, stopping one thing and coming back to it later can increase the experience.

Old steel bikes are wonderful. I have a Tommasini with the small diameter tubes (and 1" headset) that were normal until the OS stuff came along. Even with 23mm tires pump up to 120 PSI, the bike has an almost magical feel.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-10-22, 08:12 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Ride whatever you like. Frame material has never once added or subtracted any joy from my riding experience. Tire choice, on the other hand...
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-11-22, 06:33 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
My mountain bike is 34 years old; my road bikes range from 41 to 63 (shown) years old; every frame I own is steel. Steel is real.

1959 Capo with Nervar Star crank and Campag. 980 derailleur upgrades and new Brooks Pro saddle. Perfect sport-touring geometry for long rides.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-19-22, 04:50 PM
Monkitoucher

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Yeti SB130, Primus Mootry Adventure Bike, Funk Pro Comp/Durango, Ellsworth Enlightenment, Colnago Nuovo Mexico, Orange Krate

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 16 Posts
I agree. I have a mid 90s Tommasini Tecno that feels awesome to ride. It isn't fast but it's not lumbering either. It's still my main ride.

Up until a couple of years ago I would have been perfectly happy on my 26" hardtail mountain bike. But my wife and I splurged on new mtn. bikes last year. I got the Yeti SB130. My life changed. Mountain bikes are definitely worth the upgrade from 26", if you still ride them.

Last edited by Monkitoucher; 12-29-22 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For Monkitoucher:
Old 12-20-22, 01:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I would say that "steel has a certain appeal."
Likes For BlazingPedals: