Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New favorite LBS.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New favorite LBS.

Old 12-10-22, 01:58 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 492 Posts
New favorite LBS.

My friend who was going to do the derauilleur hanger transplant on my Raleigh Competition to replace the Huret somebody hacksawed off closed his shop and is working a different job. He apolgized but said he wasn't going to be able to do it any time soon. I was bummed as he's REALLY good but sometimes life happens.

I posted on a local FB cycling page looking for someone to do the work and the new LBS in a nearby city replied almost right away that they could do it as they did custom frame building. I had no clue, I went in this morning to have them look at it. As soon as I walked in I had a good feeling because mixed in with the new stuff were vintage Stingrays, a Humber and numerous other C&V road bikes, 3 speeds, mixtes, etc. He showed me a couple frames he was working on and his sizable side store room of vintage bikes and we talked bikes awhile. I had a warm fuzzy feeling I'd found the right guy. Plus it turns out he's friends with my HS shop teacher from 50 years ago who helped fuel my interest in cycling! I left the frame and hanger along with my cell number, 3 hours later he sent pics of the transplanted hanger. He's going to dress it up more but I was still impressed with the "rough" version, a little sanding, filler primer and black paint and it will blend right in. He even matched up and blended the forging lines! I will be doing more business with him for sure.

So for you folks in Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois looking for an experienced bike shop with frame repair/building capabilities run by a very knowledgeable and friendly guy who appreciates vintage bikes of all kinds I can highly recommend Wright's Cycles in Moline, IL.

Before:

After but not finished yet:

Last edited by Murray Missile; 12-10-22 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-10-22, 02:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 4,477 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
My friend who was going to do the derauilleur hanger transplant on my Raleigh Competition to replace the Huret somebody hacksawed off closed his shop and is working a different job. He apolgized but said he wasn't going to be able to do it any time soon. I was bummed as he's REALLY good but sometimes life happens.

I posted on a local FB cycling page looking for someone to do the work and the new LBS in a nearby city replied almost right away that they could do it as they did custom frame building. I had no clue, I went in this morning to have them look at it. As soon as I walked in I had a good feeling because mixed in with the new stuff were vintage Stingrays, a Humber and numerous other C&V road bikes, 3 speeds, mixtes, etc. He showed me a couple frames he was working on and his sizable side store room of vintage bikes and we talked bikes awhile. I had a warm fuzzy feeling I'd found the right guy. Plus it turns out he's friends with my HS shop teacher from 50 years ago who helped fuel my interest in cycling! I left the frame and hanger along with my cell number, 3 hours later he sent pics of the transplanted hanger. He's going to dress it up more but I was still impressed with the "rough" version, a little sanding, filler primer and black paint and it will blend right in. He even matched up and blended the forging lines! I will be doing more business with him for sure.

So for you folks in Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois looking for an experienced bike shop with frame repair/building characteristics run by a very knowledgeable and friendly guy who appreciates vintage bikes of all kinds I can highly recommend Wright's Cycles in Moline, IL. After but not finished yet:

H**y crap!

Great find.

U lucky bastid.

A very lucky find now days.

Last edited by merziac; 12-10-22 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-10-22, 02:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Here it is dressed up, all for $38.00...... I couldn't be happier!

Old 12-10-22, 02:12 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 40 Automoto, 58 Cinelli B, 62 Cinelli B Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 71 Witcomb, 76 Masi GC, 80 Jack Taylor Tourist, 78 Ritchey Road, 82 Davidson Touring, 83 Palo Alto, 85 Ironman, 90 Colnago Master, LeMond Zurich, Peter Johnson, Bianchi 928

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 74 Posts
Dang that's cool, looks solid! Good for you!
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 12-10-22, 02:15 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 4,477 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
Here it is dressed up, all for $38.00...... I couldn't be happier!
Again, H**y crap!

Likes For merziac:
Old 12-10-22, 03:45 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 284 Posts
Very nice! You are so lucky to have a shop like that nearby!
Likes For daverup:
Old 12-10-22, 09:15 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 726 Posts
I’ll have to stop by next time I’m in the Quad Cities
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 12-10-22, 10:29 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Didnít Huret hangers used to have the stop point further forward? Maybe those were an earlier version but I recall having to machine an adapter to fit a Suntour RD.
Old 12-11-22, 06:55 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
Didn’t Huret hangers used to have the stop point further forward? Maybe those were an earlier version but I recall having to machine an adapter to fit a Suntour RD.
That's not a Huret hanger -- the OP said someone had hacked off the original, and he had this put on -- presumably chose to forgo the Huret style hanger in favor of a Campagnolo-style hanger in order to allow installation of one of the vast number of non-Huret hanger compatible derailleurs.

Last edited by JulesCW; 12-11-22 at 03:59 PM.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 12-11-22, 08:19 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
Iíll have to stop by next time Iím in the Quad Cities
Definitely do, I know I'll be spending more time there. He's just a few blocks off I-74 and if you haven't been in the QC for a couple years there's a nice new 6 lane I-74 bridge over the Mississippi with a nice MUP and lookouts along it to view the river, 8 foot emergency shoulders and everything. Anyone who has ever driven the old Memorial Bridge will certainly appreciate the new one, a LOT.

Originally Posted by JulesCW View Post
That's not a Huret hanger -- the OP said someone had hacked off the original, and he had this put on -- presumably chose to forgo the Huret style hanger in favor of a Campagnolo-style hanger in order to allow installation of one of the vast number of non-Huret hanger compatible derailleurs.
Right you are, I bought the frame this way knowing I could change it over without guilt or remorse.
Old 12-12-22, 04:40 PM
Murray Missile 

The Raleigh Competiton is home and I left him my '79 Peugeot PKN-10 Competition to take the "tweak" out of the fork.

I told him I gave him a plug on here and he said his Dad is a member here and told him about the post plus 2 or 3 other customers that are evidentlly BF members. Good thing I said nice things, wasn't anything but good to say though so I was in no danger.