Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sugino 144 PCD "ZEN MESSENGER" crankset advice

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-22, 05:56 AM
nimod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have the oportunity to purchase a Zen messenger 144 PCD cranset and I was wondering about the differences between this and a regular 75 + zen crankset. I can resell the chainring later but I was especilly wondering about the crank. It 's black and has the exact same design a regular Black 75 BUT it is only branded "Sugino" instead of "Sugino 75", and no it's not the regular Messenger either.

It's like this (suginoltdDOTcoDOTjp/store/products/detail.php?product_id=137)

Only thing is this product doesn't come in black, only Red / Blue / Green / Gold / Bronze / Purple, so I'm confused about it.

I'm seeing a lot of pictures like the one I have my eyes on the internet (images-na.ssl-images-amazonDOTcom/images/I/61Q1iq1ZVWL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg) saying they are Sugino 75 BUT why is it branded differently?

Like I said I'm especially interested in the crank but if you wanna know about the chainring, I found this (retro-gressionDOTcom/products/nos-sugino-zen-messenger-chainring)

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-11-22, 07:52 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Do you want Sugino 75 crankset in black with a Zen chainring. If yes, this is what you want.

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/store/pr...?product_id=40
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-12-22, 12:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
And this is what I want: https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/store/pr...product_id=196

The Zen Messenger stuff as I understand it is sort of an upgrade to the 130bcd messenger stuff for urban cyclists who want a 144bcd

If you can swing it https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/store/pr...?product_id=41 this would be a nice upgrade same Sugino 75 but with an external bottom bracket so stiffer and more modern and no need for crank pullers it installs just like a standard Shimano HTII style crank. I have the older version and it is has been fantastic. Will most people notice a difference riding, probably not but install was super easy and doing roadside repairs was also quite easy or even at home repairs.

However just a regular old 75 and Zen chain ring will be a solid drivetrain especially when paired to a nice EAI Gold Medal or Superstar cog and an Izumi Super Toughness or D.I.D. Track Racing Pro Chain. Yes they can be a little expensive but seeing as how they lead to a really quiet drivetrain and will last a long time I don't mind. A noisy fixed gear is not something I can abide by.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-12-22, 06:41 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by nimod
Hi everyone,

I have the oportunity to purchase a Zen messenger 144 PCD cranset and I was wondering about the differences between this and a regular 75 + zen crankset. I can resell the chainring later but I was especilly wondering about the crank. It 's black and has the exact same design a regular Black 75 BUT it is only branded "Sugino" instead of "Sugino 75", and no it's not the regular Messenger either.

It's like this (suginoltdDOTcoDOTjp/store/products/detail.php?product_id=137)

Only thing is this product doesn't come in black, only Red / Blue / Green / Gold / Bronze / Purple, so I'm confused about it.

I'm seeing a lot of pictures like the one I have my eyes on the internet (images-na.ssl-images-amazonDOTcom/images/I/61Q1iq1ZVWL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg) saying they are Sugino 75 BUT why is it branded differently?

Like I said I'm especially interested in the crank but if you wanna know about the chainring, I found this (retro-gressionDOTcom/products/nos-sugino-zen-messenger-chainring)

Thank you in advance.
From the bike forums here.
Originally Posted by amor fati
I have used the standard Sugino ring, the Sugino 75 ring, and the Sugino ZEN Racing (i.e. track, not messenger) ring as well as other non-Sugino chainrings. The only one that was perfectly round (i.e. no tight or slack chain spots) was the Sugino ZEN Racing chainring. The 75 ring is built very sturdy but still yielded tight/slack chain spots. And, yes, I do know how to properly install a chainring on the cranks arms. I have never tried a Sugino ZEN messenger, however, I suspect that if you want perfection you'll have to cough up the $100+ to get the ZEN Racing ring.