Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium Bikes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium Bikes

Old 10-08-21, 09:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Bought local.
I’ve got an Engin seatpost clamp on my T-Lab! 😊

This thread has drifted far from the questions in the OP, but on those matters, while it’s hard for me to compare my CF and Ti bikes directly because they are for different purposes, there does seem to be a distinct difference in feel and a substantial difference in weight between the two. On the one hand, the Ti T-Lab seems to feel more smooth, although with 35mm rubber at 75psi compared to the 25mm rubber at 100psi on the carbon fiber Dedacciai, that could be wholly down to the tire setup, but I don’t know. With regards to weight, the titanium T-Lab weighs in at 19.1lbs with pedals and cages, while the CF Dedacciai is three pounds lighter at 16.1lbs with the same equipment.

The weight doesn’t seem to be noticeable while riding, but again, the T-Lab is for gravel and the Dedacciai for road, so it’s impossible to isolate any given element and interepret its effect for comparison. Both bikes are pretty darn good at their respective disciplines by my accounting, and I don’t doubt that, built for the job, either frame material could be just as good or better were the duties reversed.

T-Lab X3 (titanium)

Dedacciai Gladiatore 2 (carbon fiber)
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-28-22, 02:43 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I’ve got an Engin seatpost clamp on my T-Lab! 😊

This thread has drifted far from the questions in the OP, but on those matters, while it’s hard for me to compare my CF and Ti bikes directly because they are for different purposes, there does seem to be a distinct difference in feel and a substantial difference in weight between the two. On the one hand, the Ti T-Lab seems to feel more smooth, although with 35mm rubber at 75psi compared to the 25mm rubber at 100psi on the carbon fiber Dedacciai, that could be wholly down to the tire setup, but I don’t know. With regards to weight, the titanium T-Lab weighs in at 19.1lbs with pedals and cages, while the CF Dedacciai is three pounds lighter at 16.1lbs with the same equipment.

The weight doesn’t seem to be noticeable while riding, but again, the T-Lab is for gravel and the Dedacciai for road, so it’s impossible to isolate any given element and interepret its effect for comparison. Both bikes are pretty darn good at their respective disciplines by my accounting, and I don’t doubt that, built for the job, either frame material could be just as good or better were the duties reversed.

T-Lab X3 (titanium)

Dedacciai Gladiatore 2 (carbon fiber)
Been looking at a T-Lab R3 Omni... Have you been happy with your T-Lab? Basically have a chance to pick up a full Ultegra R8100 build on the R3 Omni. I'm cross shopping that with a Moots Vamoots RCS and the Moots is several grand more than the T-Lab. Also been cross-shopping with a TIME ADHX bike. Additional thoughts on your T-Lab would be welcome... Thanks.
Old 06-29-22, 10:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Been looking at a T-Lab R3 Omni... Have you been happy with your T-Lab? Basically have a chance to pick up a full Ultegra R8100 build on the R3 Omni. I'm cross shopping that with a Moots Vamoots RCS and the Moots is several grand more than the T-Lab. Also been cross-shopping with a TIME ADHX bike. Additional thoughts on your T-Lab would be welcome... Thanks.
Yeah, the T-Lab X3 is a great gravel bike! It’s a really predictable and stable handler, without any quirks, and just easy to ride. Even when I feel like I’m near the edge of grip and really loading up the bike through a turn, if I have to hit a pothole or washboard, it doesn’t upset the bike at all— no wiggle or wander— and it just keeps tracking as grip allows. So I guess it’s stiff— I’m 245lbs, so I put stress on it— but it feels comfy and smooth, even with just 35c on it.

Beyond the accurate cornering, it responds to accelerations immediately and climbs well, even with slick, file tread rubber, if I remain seated. The stays are relatively short at 425mm and the BB height is tall, so being barrel-chested and tall-ish at 6’1”, my weight transfer point is high and forward, making the shift to standing pretty dramatic.

I have the stock X3 geo and for gravel, have no complaints, as it seems fast and competent. Trucking along on pavement, I do feel like there’s too much motion in the steering for me, as in the sense that the front wheel feels like it wants to turn really easily and the width of the straight ahead stability band is pretty narrow; maybe that’s the wheel flop dimension in combination with the short BB drop? I dunno, and it seems contrary to what I’d think would be great for gravel— i.e. stability vs. reactivity— but in any case it’s overall a little too imprecise on pavement to be the all-arounder I thought it might be. I’m not disappointed for that, though, and in fact was rather surprised, because it elevated my gravel experience beyond what I had imagined based on years of running a fairly classic road geo frame that could only squeeze 30c (a Kinesis Racelight 4S), and I also have road bikes for other road riding types, so it’s all fine and good!

The R3 Omni, with shorter stays and steeper HTA, is probably the all-arounder I was imagining the X3 would be as an upgraded replacement for the Kinesis as a gravel/spring/winter roadie, and were I looking to thin the stable, that’s one way I’d do it. As a said, though, the X3 has proved to be a delight, and has easily earned a place in the herd as my main gravel rig, racy and ready to do whatever I dare tackle.

I hope that’s helpful. Here’s the current setup on the bike; I swapped out the Force AXS calipers for Hope RS4+ and went with a more curvy and pocketed San Marco Shortfit Racing saddle over the more flat Fizik Vento Argo (or was it Tempo Argo? I forget). Rubber is 42mm Ultradynamico Rosé JFF.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-30-22, 11:50 PM
Caliwild

Yeah, the T-Lab X3 is a great gravel bike! It’s a really predictable and stable handler, without any quirks, and just easy to ride. Even when I feel like I’m near the edge of grip and really loading up the bike through a turn, if I have to hit a pothole or washboard, it doesn’t upset the bike at all— no wiggle or wander— and it just keeps tracking as grip allows. So I guess it’s stiff— I’m 245lbs, so I put stress on it— but it feels comfy and smooth, even with just 35c on it.

Beyond the accurate cornering, it responds to accelerations immediately and climbs well, even with slick, file tread rubber, if I remain seated. The stays are relatively short at 425mm and the BB height is tall, so being barrel-chested and tall-ish at 6’1”, my weight transfer point is high and forward, making the shift to standing pretty dramatic.

I have the stock X3 geo and for gravel, have no complaints, as it seems fast and competent. Trucking along on pavement, I do feel like there’s too much motion in the steering for me, as in the sense that the front wheel feels like it wants to turn really easily and the width of the straight ahead stability band is pretty narrow; maybe that’s the wheel flop dimension in combination with the short BB drop? I dunno, and it seems contrary to what I’d think would be great for gravel— i.e. stability vs. reactivity— but in any case it’s overall a little too imprecise on pavement to be the all-arounder I thought it might be. I’m not disappointed for that, though, and in fact was rather surprised, because it elevated my gravel experience beyond what I had imagined based on years of running a fairly classic road geo frame that could only squeeze 30c (a Kinesis Racelight 4S), and I also have road bikes for other road riding types, so it’s all fine and good!

The R3 Omni, with shorter stays and steeper HTA, is probably the all-arounder I was imagining the X3 would be as an upgraded replacement for the Kinesis as a gravel/spring/winter roadie, and were I looking to thin the stable, that’s one way I’d do it. As a said, though, the X3 has proved to be a delight, and has easily earned a place in the herd as my main gravel rig, racy and ready to do whatever I dare tackle.

I hope that’s helpful. Here’s the current setup on the bike; I swapped out the Force AXS calipers for Hope RS4+ and went with a more curvy and pocketed San Marco Shortfit Racing saddle over the more flat Fizik Vento Argo (or was it Tempo Argo? I forget). Rubber is 42mm Ultradynamico Rosé JFF.

Thanks for the detailed response! Well, it sure looks good too... My dilemma is I'm trying to decide between a Moots (Routt RSL or Vamoots RCS), one of the T-Lab bikes, a Time ADHX, or simply upgrading my Ibis Hakka with new Ultegra, GRX or Ekar (I can't stand the 1x Rival group on there now)... I love the Moots bikes but, man, are they pricey... Not sure I can justify it....
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 07-01-22, 07:20 AM
bobones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Affordable Ti - £500!

Before anyone poo-poos them, these are Waltly frames that were designed by Mark Reilly

Last edited by bobones; 07-01-22 at 07:26 AM.
Likes For bobones:
Old 07-01-22, 09:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Thanks for the detailed response! Well, it sure looks good too... My dilemma is I'm trying to decide between a Moots (Routt RSL or Vamoots RCS), one of the T-Lab bikes, a Time ADHX, or simply upgrading my Ibis Hakka with new Ultegra, GRX or Ekar (I can't stand the 1x Rival group on there now)... I love the Moots bikes but, man, are they pricey... Not sure I can justify it....
You don’t really need to justify bike buys; it’s never a bike that does someone in, it’s always something like a too fancy house, an expensive boat, or a luxury car, but never a bike. So get whichever bike you really want, because once you buy it, that’s it: no gas, no property taxes, no marina fees, no lawncare, no oil or sparkplug changes…
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-01-22, 09:42 PM
Caliwild

You don’t really need to justify bike buys; it’s never a bike that does someone in, it’s always something like a too fancy house, an expensive boat, or a luxury car, but never a bike. So get whichever bike you really want, because once you buy it, that’s it: no gas, no property taxes, no marina fees, no lawncare, no oil or sparkplug changes…
I like the way you think! Thanks... I'll pull the trigger on one soon...
Old 07-02-22, 06:15 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by bobones
Affordable Ti - £500!

Before anyone poo-poos them, these are Waltly frames that were designed by Mark Reilly
Oooh, the geometry on that looks sick!
Old 07-02-22, 06:24 AM
mikeoverly
Stuck in Toeclips

Bikes: https://thesearemikesbikes.blogspot.com/2023/06/mikes-bikes.html

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelingmike
Hey guys. I want to ask the people that owns both titanium and carbon bikes to see what are the differences, which one they ride the most, and why. I have been riding a 2015 Cervelo R3 for a few years now and I'm itching for a new bike. Absolutely love the R3 and will not be getting rid of it. I'm looking hard at a Lynskey Helix Sports with Di2 and would like some real life feedbacks. Thanks!
My CF just disappears under me -- very responsive and smooth. The Ti I ride was constructed to avoid BB flex (often a complaint in the early days of Ti) and is very nice on smoother roads, but otherwise the roughest road bike I own. On rainy days or salty roads, the Ti is the smoothest bike I ride.
Old 12-10-22, 03:29 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I was not planning on buying a new bike right now and especially not a 12K Ti bike BUT I have an opportunity to buy a new Moots RCS at 30% off. Gotta decide quick. It may be my only opportunity to get a Ti bike since I only like brands like Moots, Mosais, Firefly, but will likely never pay full price for them.
Old 12-12-22, 10:55 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by Chandne
I was not planning on buying a new bike right now and especially not a 12K Ti bike BUT I have an opportunity to buy a new Moots RCS at 30% off. Gotta decide quick. It may be my only opportunity to get a Ti bike since I only like brands like Moots, Mosais, Firefly, but will likely never pay full price for them.
Do it! It was on my short list of bikes to get but was too rich for my blood... At 30% off, methinks it's a no-brainer. Do it!
Old 12-12-22, 11:04 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

I may- IF they still have it. I'll call as soon as they open tomorrow.
Old 12-12-22, 11:25 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,818 Times in 2,977 Posts
I may- IF they still have it. I'll call as soon as they open tomorrow.
The power of forum peer pressure, LOL!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-12-22, 11:32 AM
Chandne

Ha ha ha I am impressionable at times. My wife said "don't be dumb" so I also feel like I need to deliver on that dumbness. Well, except I think it is smart to take advantage of 30% off Motts.
Old 12-12-22, 12:28 PM
Caliwild

The enablers on this forum have enabled me to become an enabler as well! LOL

But, in all seriousness, that's a great deal on bikes that never really go on sale...
Old 12-13-22, 06:32 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Any thoughts regarding this vid?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 12-13-22, 06:59 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Any thoughts regarding this vid?

https://youtu.be/1CTjg1TFHDc

I dare you to post that video in a "titanium" thread in the Classic & Vintage forum.
Old 12-13-22, 07:23 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I dare you to post that video in a "titanium" thread in the Classic & Vintage forum.

Not sure I am into tar and feathers.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 12-13-22, 02:13 PM
Chandne

The enablers on this forum have enabled me to become an enabler as well! LOL

But, in all seriousness, that's a great deal on bikes that never really go on sale...
I got it! A slightly quirky custom build by the shop but still pricey and still 30% off. It has ENVE bars and seapost and ENVE 45 (Foundation, I bet) wheels. Force AXS and a too-long Moots stem (110). I will swap the stem soon and maybe change to a 44cm bar instead of the 42. The finish is the traditional brushed Moots finish. It looks really nice and I can hardly wait to get it out. Tires are Maxxis Re-Fuse 32s set up tubeless, or so they said. I have to make sure of that tubeless part. This is my first Ti and first Moots road bike. I like the fact that it can take wider tires and hit some smoother gravel stretches. Will be a blast this winter! Thank you to forum peer pressure!
Old 12-13-22, 02:26 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I got it! A slightly quirky custom build by the shop but still pricey and still 30% off. It has ENVE bars and seapost and ENVE 45 (Foundation, I bet) wheels. Force AXS and a too-long Moots stem (110). I will swap the stem soon and maybe change to a 44cm bar instead of the 42. The finish is the traditional brushed Moots finish. It looks really nice and I can hardly wait to get it out. Tires are Maxxis Re-Fuse 32s set up tubeless, or so they said. I have to make sure of that tubeless part. This is my first Ti and first Moots road bike. I like the fact that it can take wider tires and hit some smoother gravel stretches. Will be a blast this winter! Thank you to forum peer pressure!
Let’s see some pics!!
Old 12-13-22, 02:28 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Just finished my first bike build. Pretty happy with it.

Likes For sarhog:
Old 12-13-22, 02:43 PM
Chandne

Originally Posted by sarhog
Let’s see some pics!!

Will take some better pics this weekend. Had to kinda hide it in the basement quickly.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 12-13-22, 04:34 PM
Caliwild

Will take some better pics this weekend. Had to kinda hide it in the basement quickly.
SWEET! Yeah, those Enve Foundation 45s are fantastic. I have them on a Bianchi and they're aero, light, and stiff. You can actually get custom decals for them too if you don't like the white. I got mine from from these guys: https://www.slikgraphics.com/shop/ri...rim-decal-kit/

Enjoy the heck out of it!
Likes For Caliwild: