Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime for small parts: Fail^2

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amazon Prime for small parts: Fail^2

Old 12-14-22, 01:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
He doesn't own Amazon any more.

Please may we address the topic instead of debating how evil the other Space Karen is?
Old 12-14-22, 01:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have you seen the relatively recent thread in Road about fake Shimano chains?
Yeah, that's why I took a close look at the the one that just showed up in the mail.

Originally Posted by Rolla
Newsflash: Bezos owns less than 10% of Amazon.

Oh, and in that photo, Bezos is laughing at the notion that you are making all of your purchases from small, family-owned businesses that pay their workers $30 hour and provide them all with glorious benefits.
Old 12-14-22, 01:32 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
He doesn't own Amazon any more.
He is no longer the CEO, but he remains one of the company's largest shareholders.

Please may we address the topic
Of course. I have never received an empty package from Amazon.
Old 12-14-22, 01:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That's because MacKenzie got the rest of what he owned in the divorce.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-14-22, 01:34 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I just looked -- it's 14.99 a month, plus tax. I completely understand the convenience, but if you order from Amazon Prime 10 times a year, you're paying an additional $18.00 per purchase -- no matter how small the purchase is. I guess streaming makes up for some of it, but I have an equally hard time paying to watch TV as I do paying for "free" shipping.

I must be old.
Free shipping on large or heavy items that are the same price as from the original company is where it shines.

When often shipping could be major price upper. Bulk pet foods, bird seeds, lawn seed, appliances or furniture….you get the idea.

Why not go to the store local? My time and gas money matters also.
Old 12-14-22, 01:39 PM
Rolla

Bezos is laughing at the notion that you are making all of your purchases from small, family-owned businesses that pay their workers $30 hour and provide them all with glorious benefits.
And I'm laughing at those who defend billionaires in order to justify enriching them.
Old 12-14-22, 01:53 PM
Koyote

You've provided no date and no source for these numbers, so forgive me for not quite believing them.

Bezos now owns about 10% of Amazon -- the number just dropped again because he donated more of the stock to non-profits. SOURCE.

But regardless, I am still sure -- just positive -- that every single one of your purchases comes from small, mom and pop businesses that are straight out of a Frank Capra movie.
Old 12-14-22, 02:27 PM
Rolla

You've provided no date and no source for these numbers, so forgive me for not quite believing them.
Sorry for the oversight. https://geartape.com/who-is-the-owner-of-amazon-2022/

But regardless, I am still sure -- just positive -- that every single one of your purchases comes from small, mom and pop businesses that are straight out of a Frank Capra movie.
I never said any such thing, but apparently straw men are all you've got. Not surprising.

I'm laughing at morons who make false claims in some sort of attempt to justify their thread-hijacking.
"False claims" lol. Evidently I've stumbled into the Official Jeff Bezos Amazon Fan Club™. I'll show myself out so you guys can wipe off.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-14-22 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 02:39 PM
Koyote

The source that I provided is newer, and likely more accurate...If you read even just the headline, you'll understand why. But regardless, I'm sure we can agree that he's hella rich, and his fortunes still rise with Amazon's -- we're just arguing over the strength of that relationship.

I never said any such thing, but apparently straw men are all you've got. Not surprising.
You're ragging Amazon shoppers for making Bezos richer...It's fair game for me to ask where (from whom) you buy things -- such as cars, bikes, computers, smartphones, etc. There are few small underdogs in those markets.

​​​​​​
"False claims" lol. Evidently I've stumbled into the Official Jeff Bezos Amazon Fan Club™. I'll show myself out so you guys can wipe off.
I'm not a fan of Bezos, but his (and his ex-wife's) charitable donations might warm me up a bit -- if they continue and grow. But I am a fan of shopping that brings goods to my doorstep -- goods that I can't get within 50 miles of my house, goods that would require me to drive my car (and burn gas -- which is bad for us) to acquire. It's more efficient for the UPS or USPS carrier to drop them off, since that vehicle is going down my street EVERY SINGLE DAY anyway. And now that Amazon is a hive for third party sellers, much of the concern over market power is being alleviated, at least for me. So what's the big issue?
Old 12-14-22, 03:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I'll show myself out
What would be ideal is if the topic of the thread might be addressed.
Old 12-14-22, 03:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

OK, I give up.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...amazon-founder
Old 12-14-22, 03:26 PM
Rolla

The source that I provided is newer, and likely more accurate
Fine. I was just refuting O'Bark's assertion that Bezos no longer owns Amazon, and yours that he owns less than 10% of it. Your own source refutes that. But go ahead and split whatever hairs you need to.

You're ragging Amazon shoppers for making Bezos richer...It's fair game for me to ask where (from whom) you buy things
That question may be fair game, but you didn't ask it. Instead, you implied that I said I only buy from "small, mom and pop businesses that are straight out of a Frank Capra movie," an assertion that you invented out of whole cloth.

So what's the big issue?
Besides your lack of integrity, the "big issue" only seems to be that questioning or criticizing the Amazon Prime business model deeply offends the Amazon Cult.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-14-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 03:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Please may we address the topic instead of debating how evil the other Space Karen is?
Post 26.
Old 12-14-22, 03:34 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
They recently made some "improvements" there that are not to my liking.

It used to be that the basic, included-with-Prime Amazon Music allowed full access to a modest fraction of their library. That included the ability to play that content "on-demand".

Now, the included-with-Prime Amazon Music includes access to EVERYTHING - but only in "shuffle-play mode"; no "on-demand". So, much like what one gets with Spotify on mobile without a subscription.

No thanks; not interested in listening to what Amazon decides to feed me.
Yeah...that improvement wasn't an improvement at all. It was a step backwards. It kind of pissed me off. I recently took advantage of Amazon Music unlimited free for 3 months and we have a Spotify account in the household that we pay for. See if I keep the Amazon Music unlimited for $9/month.
Likes For prj71:
Old 12-14-22, 03:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...I live in a major metro area in California. The only bicycle stores remaining here that carry stuff besides bikes maintain pretty low inventories of everything on the shelves that is not bicycles, and they haven't really stocked a huge selection of small parts for the past 20 years or so. Trek owns one, Mikes Bikes owns another, the bike store up in Tahoe started up one recently here (because they got the Specialized distributorship).

For someone like me, who mostly just fixes, overhauls, and maintains and needs a source in bulk for cables, brake pads, housing in bulk rolls, misc small parts I can't buy over at the local bolts and screws place, Amazon and ebay are the only game left. I can't start an account at Merry sales, because I'm not a bike shop. From conversing with the mechanics at Mike's Bikes, they are constantly ordering small parts stuff anyway, because very little is kept in inventory.

I live less than half a mile from an Amazon warehouse distribution center. That sort of makes them my local store, I guess. Except they deliver. Do not remember getting any empty envelopes, but I can see where that might happen, given the speeds at which the employees are compelled to fill orders. My wife bought Prime, because she has an addiction to exotic skin care products. I sometimes use it for the free shipping, but I just as often get free shipping by waiting longer for delivery. Which doesn't seem to take all that much longer. Mostly, I worry about some poor warehouse employee getting crushed in the local warehouse by one of their robot transports, just to get me my gadget two days sooner.
Old 12-14-22, 03:47 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Yeah...that improvement wasn't an improvement at all. It was a step backwards. It kind of pissed me off. I recently took advantage of Amazon Music unlimited free for 3 months and we have a Spotify account in the household that we pay for. See if I keep the Amazon Music unlimited for $9/month.
Yeah, that pissed me off, too. A limited library of on-demand music was worth something to me as an added benefit of Prime, but I have zero interest in shuffle-play, no matter how big the library is.

I stopped using the Amazon Music app after they did that. So help me, just last week, I received a for-real, paper mailing from them offering me the same "Unlimited free for 3 months" offer that I had declined every time they offered it to me in the app.
Old 12-14-22, 03:50 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Amazon is the best. Free returns are Bae and if u ever have problems just talk to customer service on the app. Tfw I rode a stupid asian made board for one day and the base had a crazy amount of scars after, told amazon it was defective and they let me return even tho it was $500. Protip buy American made.
Old 12-14-22, 04:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Well, to end the thread on a positive note, I bought my wife some pedals as a Xmas present last night. Arrived at 2:00 pm today, and it looks like they might even be unused/unreturned. $97. REI has them for $300.

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-14-22, 04:32 PM
Koyote

Fine. I was just refuting O'Bark's assertion that Bezos no longer owns Amazon, and yours that he owns less than 10% of it. Your own source refutes that. But go ahead and split whatever hairs you need to.
Seems that all three of us were wrong...But you sure seem smug in your wrongness.

That question may be fair game, but you didn't ask it. Instead, you implied that I said I only buy from "small, mom and pop businesses that are straight out of a Frank Capra movie," an assertion that you invented out of whole cloth.
Umm, not really "invented." And you haven't refuted it, which leaves me still believing that you're a hypocrite.

​​​​​​
Besides your lack of integrity, the "big issue" only seems to be that questioning or criticizing the Amazon Prime business model deeply offends the Amazon Cult.
Oh, good grief. The melodrama.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-14-22, 04:42 PM
Rolla

And you haven't refuted it...
Not my burden, creampuff.

... leaves me to believe you're a hypocrite
Obviously, reasoning isn't your strong suit.

Oh, good grief. The melodrama.
Go towel off.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-14-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 04:44 PM
Rolla

Well, to end the thread ...
"I simply don't believe you" lol
Old 12-14-22, 04:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Old 12-14-22, 04:56 PM
Rolla

And yet you just can't help yourself.
Old 12-14-22, 05:08 PM
Koyote

Not my burden, creampuff.

Obviously, reasoning isn't your strong suit.

Go towel off.
See post #28, "moron."
You're great at name-calling and childish insults, but when I offered some substantive arguments in post #35, you were silent. Interesting. In fact, I notice that you haven't really addressed any of the substantive arguments, like Polaris OBark 's.
Old 12-14-22, 05:29 PM
Rolla

You're great at name-calling and childish insults, but when I offered some substantive arguments in post #35, you were silent. Interesting. In fact, I notice that you haven't really addressed any of the substantive arguments, like Polaris OBark 's.
Your idea of "substantive" is awfully generous. If you don't like my posts, pretend to put me on ignore, like O'Dork.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.